1.43%
Acme Widget
2.86%
Four Strokes Works Full System
0%
Four Strokes Works Slip-On
0%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Okay, What Exhaust Are You Running on Your KLX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 05:44 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Okay, What Exhaust Are You Running on Your KLX?

You KNOW you're gonna have to do better than that You're the first guy on this forum with the Staintune and you don't even have the whole thing in the picture (back end is cut-off)[&:]. PLEASE, post a full pic of the pipe and let us know about the sound/loudness of the thing with and without the quiet insert.

Sorry to get excited, but I've been waiting for someone to report on this pipe. I really like the idea of not having to repack, but I need something that won't bother the neighbors with the insert in. C'mon, give us the dirt! [8D]

ORIGINAL: cornholio

Sorry Gary, Can't resist a poll
Have attached a picture of my staintune (I only have the muffler though...).

Regards,
Doug

Old 12-05-2006, 06:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Old 12-06-2006, 02:58 AM

The KLX250 Staintune exhaust is packed with stainless steel wool so it does not need servicing or repacking. Costs about US$470 without the big bore header.

The Staintune sounds a bit like a petrol-driven, brass musical instrument. It has distinctive tones with resonance throughout the rev range. Unfortunately I can't compare it to the BigGun or Muzzy (in alphabetical order!). I feel guilty warming my bike up with the choke out because it gets very loud. I am running the exhaust with its quiet core and am still getting between 90 and 100db (according to the documentation), which appears to be (barely) street legal in Australia. I have yet to unbolt that quiet core!

This exhaust has completely cured my bike of its "almighty bunghole" and significantly improved overall performance. Maximum rpm has increased from 8000rpm to red and this bike now has acceptable acceleration. I won't be making any engine changes until I have upgraded my license to above 250cc capacity next year - not giving insurance companies any excuses if I run into trouble on the road.

Thanks for all the tips folks! You'll notice I've used quite a few of them already.

Here are some photos.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I am running a pro-circuit muffler with a stock header, It's for a klx 300 the header pipe is a little smaller so i had a adapter made
it a machine shop.It improved performance right through the rev range ,It is loud i ride to work with fore friend's on Harley's
And they complain they cant hear there bike's .( sissy's ) pro-circuit has a distinctive sound i had one on my CRF230 and the sound the same
they are very well made and look great. I am happy with mine.
Name:  deans2005-1.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  89.1 KB
Name:  deans2005.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  146.3 KB

Old 12-06-2006, 01:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the photos. Very nice looking pipe! I was hoping it would be quieter, but I had my doubts about the noise deadening properties of stainless steel wool. If I lived anywhere other than Japan, this pipe would be a no-brainer. I just don't think my neighbors or wife would put-up with me warming that son-of-a-gun up at 6:00AM...oh well, It still looks like HMF and packing material companies will get my $$.

ORIGINAL: cornholio

The KLX250 Staintune exhaust is packed with stainless steel wool so it does not need servicing or repacking. Costs about US$470 without the big bore header.

The Staintune sounds a bit like a petrol-driven, brass musical instrument. It has distinctive tones with resonance throughout the rev range. Unfortunately I can't compare it to the BigGun or Muzzy (in alphabetical order!). I feel guilty warming my bike up with the choke out because it gets very loud. I am running the exhaust with its quiet core and am still getting between 90 and 100db (according to the documentation), which appears to be (barely) street legal in Australia. I have yet to unbolt that quiet core!

This exhaust has completely cured my bike of its "almighty bunghole" and significantly improved overall performance. Maximum rpm has increased from 8000rpm to red and this bike now has acceptable acceleration. I won't be making any engine changes until I have upgraded my license to above 250cc capacity next year - not giving insurance companies any excuses if I run into trouble on the road.

Thanks for all the tips folks! You'll notice I've used quite a few of them already.

Here are some photos.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:03 AM

Hi, I'm new so will probably have some silly questions but having read about the restrictors in the exhaust pulled mine off last night (muffler) with drill at the ready and couldn't see anything up either end. Is the Australian model different (mine was bought Nov 06) or am I looking in the wrong place????

Old 12-07-2006, 06:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey tintman, welcome to the center of the KLX250S universe!

If you're talking about the stock muffler, the baffle is quite a few inches into the exhaust pipe - you probably won't be able to see it, but you can poke it with a pencil.

I driled mine while the bike was running - my thinking was that the exhaust would blow out the metal fragments as they come off the drill bit. It was really quick (8-12 seconds), but there was no build-up of any back pressure, since the exhaust gases flowed through the fluting of the drill bit anyway. Also, I was expecting a noticable increase in sound after I drilled through, but it didn't happen. You can tell there's a bit of a difference when the engine is reved up but nothing significant while idling.

Good luck!

Mike

Old 12-07-2006, 10:28 PM

Thanks Mike, I was expecting the baffle to be in the muffler but from what you're saying it's in the pipe. I'll have another look.

edit : The Australian model must be different, I pulled the muffler off again and there is no baffle either end of the muffler or engine pipe. I shoved a 6" long screwdriver up each end to be sure......Bummer I was hoping for an easy mod.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tintman

Thanks Mike, I was expecting the baffle to be in the muffler but from what you're saying it's in the pipe. I'll have another look.

edit : The Australian model must be different, I pulled the muffler off again and there is no baffle either end of the muffler or engine pipe. I shoved a 6" long screwdriver up each end to be sure......Bummer I was hoping for an easy mod.
Since a picture is worth 1,000 words, I'll use just 2 ... "Drill here":

It should be very easy using a standard length 1/2" drill bit. (There's a second baffle farther in, but you need an extended bit to reach that one.)

Mike

P.S. - Thanks to LordVngr for the picture (Hope you don't mind that I used it ... it was very convenient for illustration purposes.)

Old 12-08-2006, 01:20 AM

There is no baffle up that end of the muffler, a 1/2" drill slides up full length without meeting any resistance.

Quick Reply: Okay, What Exhaust Are You Running on Your KLX?