Okay, StainlessTT Fess Up!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Default Okay, StainlessTT Fess Up!

StainlessTT,

In a thread on the superiorority of the KLX250 - with a competent rider - over a CR450F - with a non-competent rider, you kind of let the cat out of the bag. You had stated:

ORIGINAL: stainlessTT

4. Twin Air air filter for a YZ450. Air box cover removed.

Being one that reads threads and what they contained, that particular item caught my attention.

Can you elaborate? You know, like is it a "bolt-in" change or does it take some re-work to make it happen. Is the Twin Air air filter "flame proof"? We all would like to know as that might be the way to pick up another 1.5 horses for the price of a replacment air filter!

Come clean there brother!

Old 12-02-2006, 08:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Okay, StainlessTT Fess Up!

Good catch, Marty!

If the YZ450 filter is flame resistant, there's some easy ponies to be had!!!

ORIGINAL: Marty

StainlessTT,

In a thread on the superiorority of the KLX250 - with a competent rider - over a CR450F - with a non-competent rider, you kind of let the cat out of the bag. You had stated:

ORIGINAL: stainlessTT

4. Twin Air air filter for a YZ450. Air box cover removed.

Being one that reads threads and what they contained, that particular item caught my attention.

Can you elaborate? You know, like is it a "bolt-in" change or does it take some re-work to make it happen. Is the Twin Air air filter "flame proof"? We all would like to know as that might be the way to pick up another 1.5 horses for the price of a replacment air filter!

Come clean there brother!

Old 12-03-2006, 02:16 AM

If I have done something extra special by putting in a YZ450 filter its simply by accident. I like to have sevral filters for my bikes so I can always have a clean filter ready to go. I usally change the filter in my YZ450 everytime I ride it.

When I got my KLX I wanted to to toss that bull$hit stock filter and while I was cleaning my KLX filter and my YZ filters I noticed that the YZ filter ( Twin air brand ) would work just fine If I mounted it in turned counter clock wise a little. So I just ordered a few more Twin air YZ450 filters so I will have filter that fit both bikes.

I'll tell you its a night and day difference compared to the stock filter. I don't know if its flame resistant. I just klnow its let alot more air in.

If it helps I also use NoToil air filter oil.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

The goal is to remove the backfire screen and to do that you need a filter that is flame resistant. The Twin Air for the KLX250 in not flame resistant.

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

what's it matter? Twin-air makes a filter for the 250, just go buy that one. why make things so difficult? simplify.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks promising ...

Here's a link to Twin Air's BackFire Filter :: All Yamaha YZ 4-Strokes

Part #: 152313

Description:
The Backfire filter includes a laminated layer of backfire-retardant foam, allowing you to replace the air-restricting stock backfire screen.

This is a generic image (i.e. not the YZ filter):

Price: $35.95

I just sent them an e-mail to see if they know if one of their backfire filters will fit the KLX250S / KLX300.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:41 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Any thoughts on the flame resistance of a K&N filter? I've got one, just haven't put it on yet. I think dropping the airbox lid and switching to the K&N might be my next move to lean out my bike instead of going with smaller jets. And I'm intrigued by the prospect of removing the backfire screen, but not at the risk of causing a fire. I'm running the FCR racing carb, so I'm not sure if that makes it more prone to backfire than the tamer stock CVK carb or not. I'm not interested in that extra power if it means I'll be worried about lighting up my backside. [&:]

Old 12-03-2006, 08:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I was told by my dealer that anytime you are running a pumper carb the danger of creating a fireball is much greater than that of a CVK. He knows I will be ordering a pumper soon, so he recommended not to pull the screen. The possibility of a backfire resistant filter is intriguing though.

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Any thoughts on the flame resistance of a K&N filter? I've got one, just haven't put it on yet. I think dropping the airbox lid and switching to the K&N might be my next move to lean out my bike instead of going with smaller jets. And I'm intrigued by the prospect of removing the backfire screen, but not at the risk of causing a fire. I'm running the FCR racing carb, so I'm not sure if that makes it more prone to backfire than the tamer stock CVK carb or not. I'm not interested in that extra power if it means I'll be worried about lighting up my backside. [&:]

Old 12-05-2006, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's the "official" word from TwinAir:

Sir
Sorry, we do not have a backfire filter for that bike.
Thank you for your interest in Twin Air.

Twin Air USA

Gee, I hope he didn't have too much trouble falling back to sleep afterwards!

Old 12-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: YYY.GUY

Here's the "official" word from TwinAir:

Sir
Sorry, we do not have a backfire filter for that bike.
Thank you for your interest in Twin Air.

Twin Air USA

Gee, I hope he didn't have too much trouble falling back to sleep afterwards!
Man that guy really went out of his way didn't he. Maybe he used to work for Walmart and just hasn't gotten out of the habit yet........If anyone here works for Walmart, sorry in advance.

Quick Reply: Okay, StainlessTT Fess Up!