OK Sand Experts ! Riding Tips and Tire Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:30 AM
Default RE: OK Sand Experts ! Riding Tips and Tire Advice Needed

Ok I think It's time to throw my two cents in. First of all everyone is addressing tires but no one is addressing tire PRESSURE! Run those puppies down at 11 psi front and back even if you have to drill holes in the rim and get rim locks (we did it for Patrick) The Trackmaster washes up front..the side ***** on the 776are great but lack a little for straight on stuff....its better on the hardpack and the road. I personally use 777 on my race bike because its more suited to sand...but it sucks on anything hard. As for the back...pick something with large widely spaced *****.
No Brakes, I'm proud of you! You really learned the right way to do this sand thing! Once you get it it becomes "lean back and pin it" but getting there requires frustration, practice and a slew of four letter words. Much like Patrick (PLameau) described it is like water skiing to a point, but I think No Brakes said it best with allow the bike to wallow underneath you...it's not going anywhere. Relax and do not carry tension in your arms. squeese the bike with your legs by pushing down and outward with your feet (this works) it forces your knees into the bike. Steer the bike with the back wheel. And keep your center of gravity low.When you want to go straight, stay centerd on the bike or a bit back (A BIT!!! Josh) when you want to turn lean forward to weight the front wheel and gas the hell out of it! The bike will drift with both the front and rear wheel but it will turn. Always remember this...while your rear tire is drifting, your front tire CAN NOT wash out. this paves the way for more advanced techniques and is how I stop so quickly and controlled in the sand. I begin a rear drift and slightly drag the back brake to keep it out there, then I use the front brake almost to the point of locking the tire...It wont wash out and you stop in a frickin hurry...but dont bring that back wheel directly behind the front or youre going for a trip over the bars.
The Piney has spoken
----Jimmi

Old 06-20-2007, 02:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: OK Sand Experts ! Riding Tips and Tire Advice Needed

[sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif]