OK Sand Experts ! Riding Tips and Tire Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: OK Sand Experts ! Riding Tips and Tire Advice Needed

Yea..... im not to bad at keeping up with you guys at speed thru sand, but i havent got the stopping down quite as good as jimmi.... Just got my thor quadrant knee guards Dunlop 606's are not too bad in sand thats what i had on my bike when i was down in FL.... and thats what tork had on his klr650 in NJ as he blew past me 3 or 4 times.... Sand just takes some getting used to. But its fun to play around in... I think by far the best time so far was Sunday morn in NJ when the sand was wet! Its like you were on rails and there was no question your tires were biting man i was pushing that little klx hard that day, great times.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I never bit it over the handlebars (fell sideways during sharp turns 3 times, once fairly fast, bent handlebar), I DID try weighting back, but I DO WISH I had had this advice beforehand !I never went fast enough, I'm sure, and sat too much.

I love my D606 front and rear for most of my riding at Greenridge State Park and the PA mining areas, but will try the Kenda 776 next time I need a front. I had no problem with the D606 in the rear in the sand, it bit. Thanks, guys, I've copied this info into my notes to read next time before I hit the sand.

As far as the whoops on those skinny Pine Barron Trials...I loved those, had no problems there, pulled second gear revved or 3rd midrange through most of them. It was the 'main' roads which were 95% sand and 5% gravel, I just lost my nerve in those....not next time.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yea like josh said in NJ, its a big mental barrier.... go faster to go better??? It works.. once you get the hang of it its fun... Anyone see the southwick motocross? The goat was flying.... and stewart was all over the place, didnt look real comfortable in the sandy track.... thats one wild track....

Old 06-19-2007, 11:19 AM
1st Gear Member

In an upcoming episode of DirtbikeTV I may be able to show you how not to ride in the sand. Patrick caught my wipeout on his helmet cam, doing exactly what he said not to do. The front end started wandering, I panicked and got out of the throttle and it just dug the front tire in and spit me off into the trees. Handguards and aluminum bars saved me big time that weekend.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

was it kinda like this? see what you get for showing off in front of the ladies....

Old 06-19-2007, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I race enduro on the klx250s in South Jersey and the best thing I did for my bike was getting michelon s12 front and rear tires. I bet more then 50% of the riders at the dual sport had these on there bike. The only knock is on the hard pack dirt fire roads you need to get use to the **** flex. I cannot believe how much better the bike is in the sand.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:12 PM
ktn

Hey RU-

I ride track master 2s, front and rear and think they are pretty good in the pines...but I'm always willing to look at another front tire! Have you tried the TM2s on the front and if so, how do the Michelins compare?

Old 06-19-2007, 04:21 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ktn

Hey RU-

I ride track master 2s, front and rear and think they are pretty good in the pines...but I'm always willing to look at another front tire! Have you tried the TM2s on the front and if so, how do the Michelins compare?
I was originally going to go with the trackmasters to stay with dot tires but went with the michelins. I have not tried the tm2's I have heard good things about the back tire being good in the sand. I cannot tell you how much I love the s12's I do not ride much street so DOT was not a big deal for me. They stick like glue in the sand and stick on the hill climbs. They do flex pretty good on the hard stuff a bit but I think because the klx is not the lightest bike. I highly recommend these tires for our area they have improved my riding in the tight stuff 10 fold. Note they run on the small side I have a 120 on the back and its pretty much the size of the sock 100.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

1st got to get new tires!I have a thread on here and love the ones I just bought.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:55 PM
1st Gear Member

90% of the miles my bike has seen is hard pack, mud, rocks. 5% street, 5% sand. So for me I have to concentrate on tires that are for hard pack. How much do you think one could get a tire/rim combo to throw on for that 1 or 2 trips a year. I'd be willing to swap over the front disk for sure.

Quick Reply: OK Sand Experts ! Riding Tips and Tire Advice Needed