OK Sand Experts ! Riding Tips and Tire Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default OK Sand Experts ! Riding Tips and Tire Advice Needed

I did a DS run in NJ yesterday in the Pine Barron area. I have fairly new Dunlop D606s front and rear. Suffice it to say, those with sand tires went a lot faster than me. Either because the tires were better or because they had a lot more experience in the sand...I don't know. Even the tight woods trails were on sand based ground. Lots of whoops, too. But the thick sand was the worst, mostly on the main 'gravel' roads...yeah...right !

My front end 'swam' in the 'sugar' sand, even when there wasn't much. I love my D606s in dirt, mud, and rocks (mountain stuff) but I'm considering getting a front tire and rim for the very occasional sand ride. The rear tire hooked fine, just that front. So any of you with experience, tell me HOW to ride in the sand and what tires you run (I would prefer DOT but to tell you the truth, sincethis dual sportis mostly offroad, I'd consider a non-DOT if it was significantly better.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: OK Sand Experts ! Riding Tips and Tire Advice Needed

Patrick (Plameau) & Jimmy from DirtbikeTV are the ones to answer this question.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Sand paddle on the rear and sand slick with one bead on the front for tracking and you will swear your and expert.

Only problem is that they are for the sand only and if you change terrain you will need to go back to nobbie's. Nothing like wiping out in the sand, like falling into a pillow, well kind of

Old 06-18-2007, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I think during our ride in May Jimmi had a Trackmaster front. I know Patrick had the Kenda 776F 90/90-21 up front. This was in the Pine Barrens (spelling?) in the above mentioned sugar sand. I had the stock 603 up front and a C858 in the rear and Patrick would pass me riding one handed in the sugar sand. I just switched to the Trackmaster rear 100/100-18 and 776F front and its a totally different bike offroad. The front still swims around under 30 mph in deep sand but it WILL get up on top. I couldn't get the 603 to plane out in the sand even at 40+.

Here's a pic of the front tire on my bike with ~100 miles on it.

It is a directional tire so pay attention when mounting it if you go this route. And despite its looks its a nice ride on the road too. Being so round the bike changes direction very quickly, requires much less effort than my worn out 603. Its rated as a dry terrain 80/20 dual sport tire and fairly cheap as well.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:15 PM

stand up, put your weight rearward over back tire and don't let off the throttle. it's a lot harder to build momentum in the sand than it is to keep it. leaning back standing up keeps weight off the front tire allowing it to kind of float over it. i live in FL so there's a lot of sand. does take some getting used to, but once you've got the hang of it, it will be second nature. when turning in sand i give it more throttle and if it's a sharp turn stick the leg on my turning direction out and just barely touch it to the ground for a little feel of balance. don't give up. i think your tires are ok, just need more practice.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

A good sand tire will make all the difference. Their are plenty good d.o.t. tires out their. I have the Excella and I love it. I just Installed 2 rim locks in the front tire so I can run low tire pressure (around 12 psi) in the sand and itworks great! The excella is on the left. The stock one is on the right.
Name:  100_0283.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  35.2 KB

Name:  100_0287.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  40.1 KB

Old 06-18-2007, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

klxstiffler,

Thanks for the advice. I'd say I was averaging 25 on the deep sandy roads because it was swimming and I was nervous. So maybe a few more mph and I'd have had better feedback. Does the 'swimming' go away once you're up on plane ?

Old 06-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

The NE Ride at the Pine Barrens in NJ was my first sand experience. I'm just a novice noob, but what helped me the most was listening to Jimmi.

Let the bike float, don't fight it, let the sand toss and turn you a bit, just keep your weight mid to back and keep the throttle up to keep weight off the front tire. Don't stiffen up your arms over the front tire - makes the center of gravity way high, loose grip, loose arms. If you feel the bike starting to move around a bit too much, grab a handful of throttle to straighten it back out. That seems counter inuitive but it works! When in doubt, gas it. I found it a lot easier to stand, I stood 95% of the ride. With your weight on your pegs, the center of gravity is very low and much more stable. Use your ankles to push inward to grip the bike. By day 2 I was a whole lot more comfortable in the sand and no longer felt like I was going to face plant at any second. I wish that place wasn't an 8.5 hour drive for me, or I'd be there a lot more often - that was so much fun!

Oh, but the whoops ... [:@][:@][:@]

Old 06-19-2007, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Best thing to do would be try different things and see what works for you. Some say get your weight back standing up, Jimmi had me standing nearly straight up over the pegs in the sand.I found it hard to turn with my weight way back but the front did sorta stabilize, more so than when I was purely vertical. Seated however, put your butt as close to or on top of the toolpack and it helps immensely in the sand.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I started riding in sand when I was 6 or 7 and more than 90% of my riding has been Florida "Sugar" sand. I can tell you lean back pin it..blah, blah..

First thing is tires.... for the KLX a Kenda 776 in the front and a 110 trackmaster rear PEROID. I have tried many combos and brands and this is the best bang for the buck for east coast riding where you can be in sand today and a rock garden the next with slimy clay mud in between. As for you 50/50 road/dirt guys I cant comment as I spend 95% of my time in the dirt.

Anyway the best way to ride in sand is treat it like your water sking. Huh...[sm=wtf.gif]...come again. Yep, you need speed to get up on plane and keep on top of the sand. When turning you need to carve, just like sking and If you catch an edge (Front end plowing) the result is the same on water as sand and you will eat it. As your building that speed you need to keep that rear wheel spinning and let the bike wander under you anddont fight it just relax a bit. The spinning of the rear wheel acts like a gyro and keeps you upright. Once you get over 30 or so the sand feels pretty solid. Oh....dont chop the throttle in the real soft stuff, ride it wide open or lock the lock brake and sit on the rear fender.Chopping will transfer the weight to your front ski and you will most likely just wallow around and do a low speed over the bars face plant. Dont ask me how I learned this. If you notice the front end digging in or plowing you need to pin it and give it a little clutch feather and it will pull the front end out. Panic and slow down..well another trip over the bars.

If you ride with Jimmi and I and you hear us drop a gear and stand just a little bit 1" or so off of the seat...that means soft sand. It is SOOOOOO much easer to go fast thru it. Oh and if your following Jimmi give him some room, he can stop from 50 to 0 in about 10 feet in sand...Ask Eric.

Quick Reply: OK Sand Experts ! Riding Tips and Tire Advice Needed