Ok I installed the Dyno Jet kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 06:33 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Ok I installed the Dyno Jet kit

ORIGINAL: sdunne

Well Im probobly getting a little less MPG than you, cause I hit reserve at about 70 miles so thats about 46 MPG. Now that may be due to running richer than you or that I ring the hell out of the throttle even when riding normal.
I'm really likin' my 3.2g IMS tank. I'm currently at 149 miles and am what looks like a good way to go before hitting reserve.

This is a mix of road and trails, and about 20 miles on the 49 tooth rear sprocket, the rest with the stock sprocket. I have not rejetted anything, but I have the parts ordered so I can do that.

[sm=proof.gif] However, I have a theory - I wonder if one of the main contributers to the milage reduction from stock is not so much rejetting, but rather the change to 13 tooth front and especially to 13/45 combination. Here is my logic:

1) required RPM to go the same speed with 13/42 vs stock 14/42 requires about 7.6% higher RPM

2) required RPM to go the same speed using the 13/45 vs the 14/42 stock requires about 15.4% higher RPM

Higher RPM translates directly into more fuel consumption by the same percentage. So if I get 68 MPG stock, I would get about 57.5 MPG using the 13/45 combination.

Of course, rejetting is going to contribute some, but I think the larger factor might be the change in gearing. I think this would apply more to higher speed road riding than slower trail riding. The gearing modifications most certainly have a lesser affect on fuel consumption under 35 MPH where the gearing is not topped out.

(reason for edit - fix last image)

Edit: dead images

Old 04-06-2006, 12:02 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: justin

Now that you guys have jetted the carb and opened up the air box etc, is the bike getting really hot. the other day I took the snorkle off for a little to see the diffrence and ripped up the road came back and the bike was hot as hell. I noticed the difference in power but i thought the rear panel by the exaust would be melting off after a long ride. the bike is still stock and i no the exaust is holdin back alot and probablly causing the heat without the snorkle but im Just wondering how all the rest are doing in that area?
Justin,

If all you did was take off the snorkle, then you made a bad condition (factory lean jetting = hot running to begin with) worse by introducing more air with no compensating additoinal fuel.

When the bike is jetted properely (with or without the snorkle, your choice), you'll find it actually runs cooler.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:21 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: incabiker

Tony what are your settings, aren't you running a 128 jet also?? With muzzy, without muzzy, what mods have you done??
1. 128 jet
2. high flow snorkle, reversed
3. stock needle w/two washers under it.
4. drilled slide #30
5. drilled exhaust
6. 14/48 gears
7. stock breather and air valve system

Old 04-06-2006, 04:01 PM

Looks like you pretty much have the closest set up to me at this moment.
The only differences are

1.) I have the whole airbox lid removed because it was running WAY TOO RICH!! (thnx tony for pointing that out, lol) without it removed. Maybe I can try with just snorkle removed.
2.) I have the Dyno needle with e-clip on 3rd notch down from base
3.) Removed the air valve system, this is what Todd said to remove right, that makes the pipes too hot?
4.)And gearing is stock

I guess the only reason your not running as rich as Sdunne is because of your needle position?? Seems like hes getting a hell of alot more air in his system then you with all those holes drilled in his airbox? Also does the Muzzy have alot to do with him running a little more rich then you?

Old 04-06-2006, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like you pretty much have the closest set up to me at this moment.
The only differences are

1.) I have the whole airbox lid removed because it was running WAY TOO LEAN without it removed. Maybe I can try with just snorkle removed.

I guess the only reason your not running as rich as Sdunne is because of your needle position?? Seems like hes getting a hell of alot more air in his system then you with all those holes drilled in his airbox? Also does the Muzzy have alot to do with him running a little more rich then you?
Bill, # 1 is backwards. If you remove the air box lid, you get leaner. If you open the exhaust you run leaner. Any one of those changes require a bigger jet. I appears that Todd's KLX needle and 125 jet = My 128 w/stock needle. The stock needle has a thicker profile, which aids in better economy, but needs a little lift in the mid range(washers). Does this help?

Old 04-06-2006, 04:30 PM

Thanks for pointing that out, I knew that it was RICHER(lol) but my mind needs to[sm=wakeup.gif].
Ok so Todd, Sdunne, and I have a more aggresive needle then you have, so that means that we are all running richer then you in the midrange right?? As soon as I get the muzzy installed that means that I will be running more lean then I am now with the stock pipe.
So even though Sdunne is running with the muzzy and practically the airbox lid off, whats keeping you leaner then him(your spark plug color) is that your needle is much leaner than his? Seems like you would be running way more rich then him with snorkle and stock exhaust (with 1/2" hole drilled in it) that you have on the bike. So this can only mean that the needle is making you run more lean.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for pointing that out, I knew that it was RICHER(lol) but my mind needs to[sm=wakeup.gif].
Ok so Todd, Sdunne, and I have a more aggresive needle then you have, so that means that we are all running richer then you in the midrange right?? As soon as I get the muzzy installed that means that I will be running more lean then I am now with the stock pipe.
So even though Sdunne is running with the muzzy and practically the airbox lid off, whats keeping you leaner then him(your spark plug color) is that your needle is much leaner than his? Seems like you would be running way more rich then him with snorkle and stock exhaust (with 1/2" hole drilled in it) that you have on the bike. So this can only mean that the needle is making you run more lean.
I think we are on the same page. If Seth is running the 128, he would lower the needle to get leaner( max milage). did you check out post#17 in this thread?

Old 04-07-2006, 01:34 AM

Tony how you like the 14/48 combo. Mine was going in for that when she wouldn't start. The dealer has had it since saturday. They thought it was the battery turns out they think the cam shaft is sticking, so I have to wait till monday to see how I like the 14/48.

Matt
Keene New Hampshire

Old 04-07-2006, 03:57 AM

Just updating you guys on the Muzzy order from Starcycle. I have to say right now that I am dissapointed in their deceptive, manipulative techniques. Remeber when I 1st ordered it then the next day I called up and said that I wanted to cancel the order (this is when I thought I would leave the bike stock, pff, ya right, I'm glad I didn't.) Well they told me then that they could not cancel the order without a restocking fee because Muzzy had already shipped from Muzzy's warehouse and was making its way to starcycle as we spoke. They told me since that was the case they would have to charge me a 20% restocking fee because it was already on the way there, which would have been $80.00, which I said hell no to, so I told them just to send the pipe too me as soon as it gets here, they said ok. This was a man I spoke too that day.
Well I give them a call yesterday to get an update and the male answers again and puts me on hold while he gathers information. He said the Muzzy might be there at starcycle but he was waiting on the Quite core to get there to be able to send it all together as a package. He said to call him tommorow (which is today 4/6) and get an update.

Ok so I call today and a female answered the phone. I told her that I was supposed to call to get an update on things, so she also puts me on hold. Waitingggg..., then she gets back on the phone and tells me that Muzzy has not shipped anything at all, not even the pipe and muffler, nothing!! Right there Starcycle put their foot in their mouth[sm=bustedsign.gif]. I didn't say anything though, because I still want the muzzy, but what really pisses me off that the guy lied to me about the muzzy already being shipped from Muzzys place just so that he could slam the %20 restocking fee on me[sm=icon_flaming.gif]. That is definatley not a way to conduct proper business, and no way are they gonna get repeat customers by pulling that kinda thing off.
The only time they need to charge a freakin RESTOCK FEE is if the Manufacturer of the product has already shipped it from there ware house to the retail store. And then the retail store recieves the item and has to ship it back because the customer didn't want the item. Then they have to ship it back to the Manufacturer who then charges the retail store a restocking fee. BUT IF AN ITEM HAS NO LEFT THE MANUFACTURER, THEN THE RETAIL STORE HAS NO REASON AT ALL TO CHARGE A DAMNED RESTOCK FEE WHEN THEY HAVE NOTHING TO RESTOCK!!! IF ITS BACKORDERED, THEN IT SHOULD COST NOTHING TO FREAKING CANCEL.
Ok I feel better now. I'm still gonna get the Muzzy, but people who lie to me **** me off.

I know[sm=icon_blah.gif][sm=rant.gif] But I had to get it off my chest, and my wife would have been pissed if she found out the price of the Muzzy. So I decided to tell you guys, feel privilged

Old 04-07-2006, 03:15 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zubie8

Tony how you like the 14/48 combo. Mine was going in for that when she wouldn't start. The dealer has had it since saturday. They thought it was the battery turns out they think the cam shaft is sticking, so I have to wait till monday to see how I like the 14/48.

Matt
Keene New Hampshire
Perfect combo for my style of riding.

Quick Reply: Ok I installed the Dyno Jet kit