Ok I installed the Dyno Jet kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 05:03 AM
Default RE: Ok I installed the Dyno Jet kit

Well I'm proud of myself, I was able to get to the carb and make all the adjustments without taking it out. The bad, it only got the slightest bit better. I know that you told me to put the e-clip on the 4th space down from the base with the stock exhaust drilled out 1/2" SDUNNE. I put it on the 3rd notch from the base thinking that this would be a good median until I got my Muzzy. Well its still stuttering at full throttle, not as bad, but not much better either. I didn't have time to try it out without the snorkel. The damn seat bolt on the back left of the bike got stripped while I was trying to put it in, I always thread it with my finger 1st and then grab the ratchet for the rest, but no, the damned bolt just wouldn't go in.[:@]
I took out one of the washers on the needle, so now there is only one. And I unscrewed the air mixt. screw 2 1/2 turns. Oh well, I don't want to dig into the bike anymore and mess things up more then they are, I'm not gonna ride it until I get the muzzy, and if its still messed up then I'm just gonna take it to the dealer and pay out the ying yang for them to fix it.
So I won't be riding for about another week and a half considering the time the muzzy is supposed to ship to me.[]
Does it sound like I messed something up more then the basic needle, screw, ect.... I hope not, this is why I should never tinker with things, though its fun.

Old 04-04-2006, 06:20 AM

Gravy train is having some what of a hesitation problem with his bike with the settings I wrote you and he has the muzzy installed. He did say he still had the snorkle on. My bike has no hesitation, no bogging, and power when I need it. I drilled six 1/2 inch holes in the air box cover dirrectly above the filter and removed the snorkle. Personnally I don't find the snorkle useful It restricts airflow. Some people like the security of having it on but I look at it like this If your riding threw water that deep your going to suck water regardless. And If you feel uncomfortable with having the filter open to the extra dust and moisture get a 2 stage filter like UNI and a good filter oil. Just those two combined block out almost all moisture and dirt. After the switch I went out to the track twice and last sunday checked my intake and nothing not even dust and the track was dry as hell.

DISCLAMER
Before someone jumps all over my back about my statements please regard the above as my personal opinion. And
in no way does this qualify as absalute fact thank you!

Old 04-04-2006, 06:38 AM

Heres a picture of my cover, it ante pretty but it works!

[IMG]local://upfiles/1071/06347FC51A134B579F511FC45A65EFFF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-04-2006, 07:39 AM

sdunne,

I'm running the KDX snorkel and my bike seems fine on the 2nd clip and a 128 main. I think I'd like to try a 125 though.

One trouble I had with your statements however, is that you say to run the 4th postion with a stock set-up. That would be way too rich. The further form the base you go, the richer the needle gets. I'm at the 2nd position which is leaner than the 3rd postion your running... but my intake might be a little more restricted.

One other note... why bother with the holes... you might as well just take the cover off altogether, what's the difference?

Since I see ma little rich up top, I might go aahead and also try running wihtout the cover for a while, to see if I notice a change.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:58 AM

With the holes you get slightly less Intake noise and alot less pine needles and wierd debri in the air box. It seams that with this bike if you don't go the extra mile to get more air you have to run lean like you where saying. On my bike I did the plug check with a fresh plug and it was a nice brown so Im not running too rich. I believe If your running a snorkle go with yours and Todds jetting and If your not using a snorkle and want maybe slightly more power run the 128, 3rd groove.

All I know no matter where I am on the throttle or RPM range I always have immidiate power. Gravy Train can attest to that he has ridin my bike.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:02 PM

Maybe all in all I am running too rich. I see motoguy thinks hes running too rich on the top end and he even has the muzzy and KDX snorkle on his bike. I guess I will test it with the snorkle off. That will be the only way to find out. I did not get a 125 jet with my Dyno jet kit though, I got 4 main jet sizes, which are, 22, 24, 28, 32. Maybe the 24 will work good? I'm gonna try it without the snorkle 1st to see if it improves anything

Old 04-04-2006, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

OK. I have read CVK carb tuning on the klxzone web site, but the link is not working right now.
The key is to set the main jet first. Everything revolves around the main, trial and error. I would say your too rich right now. Change mains until you have the best possible top end power, then you can fiddle with the needle height for optimum mid-range power or economy.
As for the air box snorkel. It is important in my neighborhood. I have it in reversed(intake to the rear), because in the cold fog, the carb will ice up. I also like it quieter.

LINK1, LINK2 (not working right now, but try later)

Old 04-04-2006, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I just removed the snorkle and the bike now runs grrrreeeeaaaattt... No bog or anything. Its amazing how one lilttle bit of rubber will bog a bike down. About the excess noise didnt notice any. I left the air box cap on and just took off the snorkle. I have the stock air filter and everything. Im very pleased at this point....

Old 04-04-2006, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member

These little 250s are very sensitive to small changes. I'm guessing Bill will see the same results when he pulls his snorkle. I think the combination of the needle and main he's running without being able to move more air is making his bike too rich.

Bill: I'd also pull the plug and look at it. You may have fouled it now.

Gary: I'd spring for the KDX snorkle anyway just to keep down on the amount of water that could get in there if you hit a stream crossing at speed or in a hard rain.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:11 PM

You think I already fouled the plug, bummer[:@]. I didn't even ride the bike a mile total due to the fact that it was stuttering so much, I didn't want the bike to go berserk on the highway, so I just putted it around my neighborhood. I will check to make sure.
Hey gravy how bad did your bike stutter, and did it only do this with the throttle wide open or all the way through the range. Right now mine stutters pretty bad with throttle wide open, but the rest of the range it rips.

Quick Reply: Ok I installed the Dyno Jet kit