Ok guys, a little jetting help please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default Ok guys, a little jetting help please.

Ok while i was checking my valves and changing oil.....[:@]..... i was going to spin the carb to adjust the fuel screw, but ended taking the carb out..... Ok my jetting started at 125 main, 40 pilot, 2.5 turns out, 3 clip position, kdx snorkel. vortex tip in and out..... then changed the clip to second, seemed rich. So recently i turned the fuel screw in to 2 turns, and took the air box lid off.... ran good except for low end bog... figured it was lean, so i put the air box lid back on and leave the fuel screw at 2 turns out, and it didnt seem to have any pull in 6th around 50 or so... but it still looked rich, plug is black, and blackening rear fender.... maybe from the oil though..... but i am wondering if i should try the stock pilot back in to lean the low end... and put the 128 in and richen the top end.... and im going to leave the air box lid on, and once i get my end cap fixed im going to leave the vortex insert in.... any help.... it looks rich at the current settings... should i just try the stock pilot or just adjust the fuel screw back to 2.5 turns.... any help?...

Old 08-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Ok guys, a little jetting help please.

guess im on my own..... thanks guys.... lol....

Old 08-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i think im gonna put the stock pilot back in and just adjust the fuel screw to 2.5 turns out.... and leave the 125 main in.....

Old 08-23-2007, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Eric, I'm still going back and forth between the stock pilot and the #40 and messing with the fuel screw - one day it runs great and the next it seems "flat". Since I'm at a higher elevation that is very dry I don't think my adjustments would apply. But I know the frustration you're going through. Let me know if you find that carb magic sweet spot!

Old 08-23-2007, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's what I found the other day:

My specs are in my signature, for kicks I took off the airbox lid and took a spin. In the dirt it spun up faster and would break the tire loose easier. On the highway, I was getting a weird feeling around 7000 rpm, kinda like slipping the clutch a little. I took it to be lean surging. Came back and put the lid back on and no surging and it revs semi slower, and doesn't break free quite so easy.

What this tells me is that my jetting is pretty close to where it should be, runs great up top unless I lean it out by taking off the lid. Starts easy with the choke, leave it on for 30 seconds, smooth idle after, but doesn't take well to abrupt throttle input for the next few minutes. So I'm a tad lean on low end but the 40 pilot was too rich even at 1.5 turns out.

For what its worth Eric, I'm ~ 200 feet above sea level. You might try contacting Jsac as he is running the BG w/out the quiet core and might be around your elevation.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

what have you noticed between the stock pilot and the 40..... just helps bottom end right? i think thats where im rich......

Old 08-23-2007, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep the pilot pretty much controls bottom end and the #40 just seems a little too rich (don't need the choke at all - period!). It also idle's all over the place from 1000 rpm to 1700 rpm warm or cold but runs very-very strong. So I don't know either - should I go with a #38 or #35 pilot????? The NGK Iridium IX plug seems to have helped a little too.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yea my idle goes up and down...... i think ill put the stock one in..... and mess with the air fuel screw.... maybe i should put the 128 in though cause the exhaust i have probably flows more than a stock 300 exhaust....

Old 08-23-2007, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member

When I had the 40 pilot in, even at 1.5 turns it wouldn't idle period. When cold it would hold a steady idle, once warm it would drop to 1300 and then slowly foul out. If waiting at a traffic light it would stall unless I constantly blipped the throttle. Also it was a dog taking off from a stop, with varying rpm it ran good from the bottom up through though. With my settings currently I can redline every gear up to 6th, downshift hard and stop and it is sitting dead on 1500 rpm and doesn't fluctuate no matter how long it sits, and no hesitation/bog when I take off either.

Eric, if you feel like really getting into it I'd try this setup:
Pull the snorkel
128 main
stock pilot
2.5 turns out
2'nd slot from top with the clip

Old 08-23-2007, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm wondering if we might have a slight intake leak going into the carb - the clamps sure are tight, maybe a little carb cleaner spray on the outside of the intake will let me know?

Quick Reply: Ok guys, a little jetting help please.