Ok don't laugh - how do you check the oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 10:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Ok don't laugh - how do you check the oil?

So I just picked up a 2006 KLX250s. It's used so I want to start going over a few things, replace plug, change oil + filter, etc..

but...

How do you check the oil level on this motor?

I see the filler hold but can't find a level window or dip stick of any kind. In addition, how much oil does it hold when changing?

Any help and/or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member

the window is just behind the foot break.. You haveto look around it just slightly I do belive.. I might be wrong, going by memory. It's in your owners manual as well..

Old 10-04-2008, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Its under the foot brake. Its just a little circle window. Make sure the oil level is between the two lines by the window. The engine takes 1.5qts of oil with a new filter, 1.4qts w/o new filter.

Make sure when you do change the oil. That you use the correct oil designed spefically for motorcycles. Not the automotive oil.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako
Its under the foot brake. Its just a little circle window. Make sure the oil level is between the two lines by the window. The engine takes 1.5qts of oil with a new filter, 1.4qts w/o new filter.

Make sure when you do change the oil. That you use the correct oil designed spefically for motorcycles. Not the automotive oil.
Engine oil capacity (with a change of oil filter) is indeed 1.5 US quarts (according to the shop manual). Now . . . my question is: with the bike sitting upright, my oil level is above the glass window but with the bike on the kickstand the oil level is below the window. . . WTF? With the engine running, NOW the level is between the two high and low indicating marks. Is THAT how one checks the oil level. . . with the engine running. The knucklehead who previously owned my '06 KLX lost the owner's manual and the Shop Manuals (including the Supplement) say NOTHING about HOW you check the oil level! Thanks, in advance, for your input!

Old 10-04-2008, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member

lol

Start motor get oil hot, turn motor off let sit a few minutes. Now balance the bike as straight up&down as you can and peek at the oil level.....if too high suck some out with a syringe... if too low add some....Now repeat and check again.

Oh don't worry so much about the type of oil thing, just put in what the manual says for SAE and API requirements...the rest is hogwash.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't forget to check oil level when the bike is vertical.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't forget to check oil level when the bike is vertical, not on the side stand.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:09 AM
1st Gear Member

very helpful. Thanks guys. I didn't see the window but I will go back in the garage and check. What looked like should be a window looked more like a rubber plug. I'll know in 2 minutes.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SYK35
Don't forget to check oil level when the bike is vertical, not on the side stand.
Redefine vertical? Vertical as in shooting for the sky. Vertical as in standing on one wheel (front or rear). Or vertical as in standing the bike up in a balanced position with both wheels on the ground?

Remember, vertical for me is shooting for the sky at under 1,200 feet per second.

Don't worry too much if its slightly over the top line.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Lol verticle as in standing the bike up in a balanced position with both wheels on the ground..

Quick Reply: Ok don't laugh - how do you check the oil?