Oil wt., lower temps & clunky shifting??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I was asking about the engineer you spoke with from Redline.

I wasn't implying anything negative about Applications Engineering, I just assumed he was one considering it would make sense that you call the company for product information and then they put you in touch with the Applications department (so in short it was an attempt at a logical guess).

I'm happy to be part of a group now, I was always a loner growing up... ;-)

Lutz is a ME... I'm sure he will be along soon to demand acceptance into this exclusive club as well.

On a serious note though, The new shift star uses a bearing in place of a journal? I know of the oem issues and what not, but have been to lazy to do anything about mine since it works still. If so... does the replacement star come with a stiffer spring as you spoke of?

Old 01-27-2013, 03:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by duncanblake
LikesToThump, An engineer? In Detroit? WOW! The heart of our country's engineering empire. The place that made the U.S a giant in the world. Does the history of Detroit have any influence on your work or your attitude about it?
Well... I haven't technically relocated to Detroit as of yet. I accepted a job offer back in November, but I won't be graduating until April, my official start date is June 3.

I would say that a lot of people misinterpret Detroit... it's really all about mind set. Though the city is not for weak people, it's definitely a rougher place (depending on you location), but it builds strong people. I had to do everything myself growing up, was even homeless for a bit while trying to get my degree after my step father ended up in prison and we lost the house. I feel the city has definitely passed the low point and is on the way back up, in the next 30 years the city is going to take a very interesting and almost unpredictable re-birth IMO.

I have yet to actually live in Detroit (just multiple visits and work experiences over the years), I was basically given an offer I couldn't refuse. Plus I'm still young and didn't want to give up on the idea of living in a bigger city so soon. Its all happening really fast, but I feel the chance for a lot of opportunity there... seems like just yesterday I was still trying to find an internship, now all of the sudden I'm going into management wtf! lol

I'm not ashamed of the city as some are for reasons I don't understand, and feel sense of pride knowing I will be apart of the place now.

Idk if that was the answer you were or were not looking for.

Last edited by LikesToThump; 01-27-2013 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:42 AM
1st Gear Member

THANKS. THIS IS THE ANSWER i WAS HOPING FOR. Congrats on your graduation. Detroit is on the way up. The U.S. manufacturing industries are learning learning how to make world class products. They had to. I wish I was 40 years younger and looking forward as you are. I'm jealous. Ashamed of Detroit? I really believe it's the city that will lead a manufacturing revolution in the U.S. On June 3rd I'll be lifting my glass (and other things) to the start of your journey.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member

So Lutz want's in? Does he own a kx250 ? Is he suffering like we are? If not, we need to know what machines in his life are torturing him? No lightweight whines about some consumer-crap product that failed. Really? Your 3 dollar 9v battery charger built by child slaves caught on fire? I'm shocked! Well Mr. Lutz..............are you one us?

Old 01-27-2013, 04:03 AM
1st Gear Member

" a lot of people misinterpret Detroit... it's really all about mind set."
Detroit has a lot to offer young talent who know how to leverage the depressed but rebounding economy.
We lost one of our local young talents to Detroit. He had been a successful night club owner, a festival promoter, and he even ran for political office. *He gave all that up to move to Detroit and start a custom bicycle design and manufacturing company.
If you care to read more:
detroit.iamyoungamerica.com/blog/a-chat-with-detroit-bikes-zak-pashak/

Old 01-27-2013, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member

LikesToThump: Forgive me. I'm new to forumspeak. "Idk?" Thanks

Old 01-27-2013, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I have an odd memory, and just remember Lutz is a ME lol.

Another interesting occurrence recently is that not only is the economy starting to rebound, but a large number of American companies are looking at figures of close to 30% retirement in the next 5 years or so due to the baby boomers I assume. Which has opened a lot of doors for recent young graduates in the appropriate degrees. Most all of the major corporations have adopted Management Associate programs to deal with issue.

Last edited by LikesToThump; 01-27-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member

LikesToThump: Forgive me. I'm new to forumspeak. "Idk?" Thanks
Sorry I text so much I drag the lingo over to the forums from time to time on accident... Idk = I don't know.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Lotrat, I'll have to agree with you. I'm an engineer also. When you or I hear someone talking about something they really don't have any scientific or engineering grasp, we know it in about 2 seconds flat. Senior Engineer? I'll bet your B.S. detector is one of the best. It sort of has to be or you wouldn't be a Senior Engineer. The engineer at Red Line is not that clown you and I have met many times. Just out of school he was sought by many of the large petrochemical mfg's but he wanted to do something a bit more interesting. Like I said, he's a very nice guy and a very smart one. He phoned me back and we discussed my klx250s uses and needs. I love discussions with any intelligent person. He didn't just talk about the best oil choice for my klx but we also talked about why. Phone him. You'll like him. He's one of us.
I started out as an electrical engineer, then applications engineer, on to sales engineer, and now systems engineer... all I've learned is that you never BS a BSr.

The local Cycle Gear shops carry Redline. I may give it a shot.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Thank you Lotrat. Never BS a BSr. The Truth. Hadn't heard that in a long time. Don't be afraid to phone Dave @ Red Line. It's an 800 #.
LikesToThump: It's also opened the doors to to foreign engineers who, I'm told, work for lower wages. I believe American Industry got our (bought and paid for) Congress to relax Visa restrictions for foreign engineers and technicians. "Management Associate"? This starts to make sense. Engineers speak a sort of universal language. Management, in this country, is a different game. Management communication is heavily influenced by the culture and social influence of it's location. Your understanding of the Detroit and National uses of the English language puts you in a different class than those without those skills.
I'm celebrating. Got the klx running after being apart for 3 weeks. Got a bit of a buzz going and I'm rambling. Sorry.

Quick Reply: Oil wt., lower temps & clunky shifting??