Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 09:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlkDakDave
Is it just me? Maybe because I'm older or maybe because I'm OCD, but checking the oil on my KLR and KLX is a four step process With my KLR is use the center stand, for the KLX I pull out the ATV/MC jack to lift the bike(s) close to center. Using a level I then fine tune the bike(s) for a "between the lines" on the bubble. Then I push down on the rear brake lever and use a long screw driver to hold the lever down. Finally I use a strong flashlight to check the level. It's hell getting old!

I know it's a prlonged process, but I try to find the "zen" with my tasks and daily routines. Not to mention I sleep really good at night knowing the oil level is good to go.

Findng center on a friends KLR
That's way too much work for me, just add the recommended amount and run it. Check it's between the bubbles, I doubt they used a level from the factory so you're just wasting extra time you could be riding or drinking a beer.

Old 08-22-2021, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldgypsy
In my dotage, I can't bend over that far so I'm down on my knees to see the sight glass accurately. Only worry is pulling the bike over on top of me in that position.
Originally Posted by azdeuce
I set mine on two 2x4 or there abouts on the bottom of the kickstand..
The 2X4s or similar set up is the ticket. It it is so close to vertical that it may tip to the right, the block set up is perfect. All you have to do is slightly hold the bike to the left so it is on the 2X4s not tipping to the right, kneel down and look at the window.

Originally Posted by PSUdude85
That's way too much work for me, just add the recommended amount and run it. Check it's between the bubbles, I doubt they used a level from the factory so you're just wasting extra time you could be riding or drinking a beer.
How do you know if the rack is perpendicular to the vertical centerline of the bike?