Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 06:49 PM
Default Oil Level

Question for you pros. It doesn't say in the owners manual; do I check oil level with the bike level, or on the side stand?

Old 07-19-2021, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Level.

Old 07-19-2021, 07:05 PM

Level, that's what I assumed but started second guessing myself. Thank you sir.

Old 07-21-2021, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Is it just me? Maybe because I'm older or maybe because I'm OCD, but checking the oil on my KLR and KLX is a four step process With my KLR is use the center stand, for the KLX I pull out the ATV/MC jack to lift the bike(s) close to center. Using a level I then fine tune the bike(s) for a "between the lines" on the bubble. Then I push down on the rear brake lever and use a long screw driver to hold the lever down. Finally I use a strong flashlight to check the level. It's hell getting old!

I know it's a prlonged process, but I try to find the "zen" with my tasks and daily routines. Not to mention I sleep really good at night knowing the oil level is good to go.

Findng center on a friends KLR

Old 07-21-2021, 12:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Yea, I'm thinking your probably alone on your OCD oil checking setup. For me the bike is on the side stand, grab the handlebars and pull, when it gets close to the teter point, look at the glass, oil .... check. Wipe the glass off first though.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
Yea, I'm thinking your probably alone on your OCD oil checking setup. For me the bike is on the side stand, grab the handlebars and pull, when it gets close to the teter point, look at the glass, oil .... check. Wipe the glass off first though.
Yeppers, that was my method too, in my younger days. Now I'm afraid doing it this way would be a coin toss as to who or what falls over first, me or the bike. Like I said it's hell getting old...

Old 08-16-2021, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

just did my oil change today and i had my dad hold the bike level and i checked mine. I don't think it needs to be an exact science. I do my oil changes in 2k mile intervals, I know I'm a bit OCD but better safe than sorry.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlkDakDave
Yeppers, that was my method too, in my younger days. Now I'm afraid doing it this way would be a coin toss as to who or what falls over first, me or the bike. Like I said it's hell getting old...
In my dotage, I can't bend over that far so I'm down on my knees to see the sight glass accurately. Only worry is pulling the bike over on top of me in that position.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Oil

I set mine on two 2x4 or there abouts on the bottom of the kickstand..

Old 08-22-2021, 09:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I drain mine for the change, then fill with the FSM recommendation. To check proper oil, take bike off the stand and hold level, should be in the bubble. No need to bust out a level, it's not rocket surgery, the engineers who designed the system give you alot of free play, as long as there is some oil in there you are good.

Quick Reply: Oil Level