Oil Leaks - Swing arm bolt

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 08:47 PM
Default Oil Leaks - Swing arm bolt

Hey Riders,

I have a couple of questions about our 2009 KLX 250S.
Engine was an oily mess.
I bought a winderosa engine gasket kit as well as the winderosa oil seal kit.
I have a bike mechanic that I had do the job.
I got the bike back and it leaks even more oil from multiple places. Wtf?
During the repair the head gasket that came with the kit was crap and we ordered an OEM one. That worked.
Is this gasket kit any good??
Mechanic said swing arm bolt was seized in. So he didn't touch it as the bearings were ok. But made the job more difficult.
So now I am going to try and free the swing arm bolt and get another gasket kit to have it redone again.
Any tips on getting the swing arm bolt out?
What gasket kit should I be buying?

Could use some advice.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:51 PM
Default Some Pictures

Old 04-19-2021, 08:53 PM

I had wiped the engine down and applied a bunch of baby powder then took a ride around the block and this was the results.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

My engine is filthy from dirt and oil, kinda the same places yours is. But is oil running out through the gasket and dripping? Something may be wrong.
The joints are not oil tight, but shouldn't be dripping oil.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Swing arm bolts can be a pain to get out. Once you have the nut off tap the bolt with a hammer to drive it in as far as you can. Then use a wooden dowel, slightly smaller than the bolt, and pound away to drive the bolt out. You can find various sizes and lengths dowels at Home Depot and Lowe's. Also helps to spray some lube (WD40) into the hole as you drive it out.

Old 04-20-2021, 04:50 PM
Default Swingarm Bolt removed.

So I did get the swingarm Bolt out. It actually wasn't that bad. I sprayed PB blaster on it the night before. I loosened the nut a few turns. Used a large impact socket held with vice grips and hit it a few times with the big hammer. It move in a bit. I then tightened it back up and repeated this a few times. Then took a long bolt and was able to tap it out. I removed the rest of the linkage bolts and put silver anti seize on all of them. Greased up the roller bearings and put it back together.
I have reached out to the local Kawasaki dealer to see if I can get a better quality gasket set for the engine. I guess I can get an OEM one. I don't see why we can't get this engine to be free of oil leaks No more winderosa crap for me.
Originally Posted by dualindalton
Swing arm bolts can be a pain to get out. Once you have the nut off tap the bolt with a hammer to drive it in as far as you can. Then use a wooden dowel, slightly smaller than the bolt, and pound away to drive the bolt out. You can find various sizes and lengths dowels at Home Depot and Lowe's. Also helps to spray some lube (WD40) into the hole as you drive it out.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:09 PM
Default Swingarm Bolt removed.

So I did get the swingarm Bolt out. It actually wasn't that bad. I sprayed PB blaster on it the night before. I loosened the nut a few turns. Used a large impact socket held with vice grips and hit it a few times with the big hammer. It move in a bit. I then tightened it back up and repeated this a few times. Then took a long bolt and was able to tap it out. I removed the rest of the linkage bolts and put silver anti seize on all of them. Greased up the roller bearings and put it back together.
I have reached out to the local Kawasaki dealer to see if I can get a better quality gasket set for the engine. I guess I can get an OEM one. I don't see why we can't get this engine to be free of oil leaks No more winderosa crap for me.
Originally Posted by dualindalton