Oil filters available at Wal-Mart

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Oil filters available at Wal-Mart

In case you haven't found out yet, Wal-Mart has the Fram version of our oil filter (CH6015) for $4.94 which includes the o-ring for the cover. I grabbed a couple of them since that price is about 1/2 what the dealer charges and they do not include the o-ring.

With the small sump our bikes have and since I ride my KLX 90% dirt, 10% street, I change the oil very frequently, like once a month to every six weeks with dino oil and swap the filter every other change (which is what I do on my Ducati, BMW and truck as well), so it is cheap to stock up and have a bunch on hand.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Oil filters available at Wal-Mart

nothing wrong with saving a buck at ghetto mart.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:08 PM

Yup, I have been buying my oil filters there since I got my bike last year. Its fram, but I change my oil so much that it really doesn't matter if its the worst oil filter that this world has ever seen. Hell I could stick a piece of steel wool in it and it would filter better then that fram, but since I'm afraid to do that I will stick to the Fram.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:36 AM

Not trying to start any heated discussion here, but is Fram supposed to be a sub-standard filter or something. I am genuinely ignorant in this area. All I know is that I have heard of Fram my whole life, so I guess I figured they were pretty much tried and true filters.

So far I have used onlyKawa branded filter and oil. I will be going Wally World for at least the filter on this next change. Is there motorcycle specific oil or is any grade of 10W40 okay. Again, not necessarily looking for brand recommendations because I know that many folks are very brand loyal. I just want to make sure that I am okay putting something besides Kawasaki oil in there.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 01-31-2007, 03:44 AM

From what I hear people typically don't like them

Heres an excerpt from a review

"Oil Filters[/b] come basically in three qualities. Very good, with excellent filtration; normal; and really incredibly bad[/b]. This last category, really incredibly bad[/b], should obviously be avoided. Accordingly, never use a Fram[/b], Pennzoil, Penske, Castrol, or Quaker State oil filter in any motor you like. All of these filters[/b] are made by Fram[/b]. The filter element itself is a normal paper element, and probably no better or worse than anyone else's paper element. However, the end caps on the filter element are made of cardboard in these filters[/b]. There are numerous stories of these cardboard end caps getting saturated with oil and coming apart, putting little cardboard fragments directly into the oil flow into your engine bearings. As they say in GhostBusters, this "would be bad[/b]." Personally, I don't consider cardboard a suitable material for my engine internals. In the interests of fairness, below I reproduce a letter from Fram[/b] to m"

I still use them though because they are cheap and I change the oil a good deal, so they dont have time to get crappy.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:52 AM

Hmmmm. Now I am conflicted. I am not a big fan of taking chances with substandard products, but I also don't want to pay double for a part from Kawasaki if another brand will perform adequately. I guess I will do a little more research.

Thanks for the head's up.

Chris

Old 01-31-2007, 03:59 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I'm using one that someone here posted, I can't remember who, sorry. It is Purolator part number ML16815 available from Amazon.com of all places for $5.99:

HERE.

Is this a Fram made filter? I'm just wondering if I should be concerned, based on the above Fram quality statements.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I avoid Fram but do what you like.

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/index.shtml

Old 01-31-2007, 05:48 AM

KLXer, that isa good link.

Brian, based on the link from KLXer, it looks like Purolator has nothing to do with Fram. I think you are in good shape. I will probably order some filters from Amazon or loot for the Purolator locally.

Thanks to all for the info.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:42 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Off topic abit, but Purolator is the filter of choice for the street rides also. Fram makes it more convenient to safety wire and uses a hex fitting on the end of the can for easy removal and tightening.

Quick Reply: Oil filters available at Wal-Mart