Oil filter spring trick to hold in place?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sid Post
Take a pair of needlenose pliers and open one link of the spring enough to grab the teeth in the case. Insert filter, insert bolts, insert drain plug, add oil.
What he said.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xplosivo1
Wierd, my 09 manual specifically says to use grease to hold the spring in place.
That's what I meant. I'm not smart enough to have figured that out on my own. Maybe there are updated revisions of the owners manual?

Old 05-22-2009, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member

If I forget to pick up one of those 50 cent grease packets at the counter I drop it on the side to pop it in. I just don't like how it spills gas everywhere when I do that. I might try bending the spring next time I forget.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:57 PM
1st Gear Member

There was still grease in the filter area, when I just did my second oil change, from the first one. I used Petroleum Jelly this time around. Just dabbed a bit on the inside part of the four fingers cast into the engine case and placed the spring in after that, no problems.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
What he said.
What they said.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:39 PM
1st Gear Member

You should take it to the dealership where warranty approved Kawasaki trained staff use Kawasaki oil, filters and shop rags. One week and $150.00 later you'll have your bike back running (maybe) good as new(?).

Old 05-23-2009, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buzz363
You should take it to the dealership where warranty approved Kawasaki trained staff use Kawasaki oil, filters and shop rags. One week and $150.00 later you'll have your bike back running (maybe) good as new(?).
Or do it yourself, get it back in a hour, pay only like $20. And get the satasfaction of a job well done.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buzz363
I'm sure those Kawasaki shop rags make all the difference.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: We're full time RV'ers. We live where we park it, but that's usualy out west.

Originally Posted by luvnidaho
That's what I meant. I'm not smart enough to have figured that out on my own. Maybe there are updated revisions of the owners manual?
Hey guys, you gotta remember that there are different years of KLX250's represented here. Mine is an '07. The signature, (if you use one), will give you a clue as to whether the comments may or may not apply to your bike. I suggest that you incorporate the use of a signature for the benefit of the others.

Stay safe out there!

Old 05-23-2009, 09:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BoonieRider
Hey guys, you gotta remember that there are different years of KLX250's represented here. Mine is an '07. The signature, (if you use one), will give you a clue as to whether the comments may or may not apply to your bike. I suggest that you incorporate the use of a signature for the benefit of the others.

Stay safe out there!
As true as it may be, there are so many similarities between the 06-09 you can almost use the same manual for each year.

Quick Reply: Oil filter spring trick to hold in place?