Oil filter question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Default Oil filter question

I bought a 2006 KLX 250 last week from my cousin. He bought it new and after 6 years he had a whole 900 miles on it. The first thing I did was remove the wheels and had new tires put on it. I hated to as they still looked brand new but I felt it was better to be safe than sorry. He had changed the oil and filter at 300 miles but since it was 6 years old I decided to go ahead and change it. When I removed the old filter I found a spring laying in there. I can't figure out how it is supposed to go in. Does it just lay behind the filter or does it attatch to something. My manual doesn't mention it and the new filter a K and N if that makes any difference doesn't have one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Terry.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

It just sits behind the filter, in the middle of the 4 little posts sticking out of the case. I use a little dab of grease or petroleum jelly to hold it in place while I shove the filter in. I believe it's purpose is to allow the filter to slide back if it becomes too clogged to allow oil to flow. If you install the filter without it, the filter just kinda rattles around in there.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Prefader
It just sits behind the filter, in the middle of the 4 little posts sticking out of the case. I use a little dab of grease or petroleum jelly to hold it in place while I shove the filter in. I believe it's purpose is to allow the filter to slide back if it becomes too clogged to allow oil to flow. If you install the filter without it, the filter just kinda rattles around in there.
Do one better.... take a couple pair of pliers.and bend the last coil so it sits in the pieces of the motor and it wont fall out. I did that years ago, havent touched the spring since. I never used grease, i never liked the idea of adding a glob of grease to my oil.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Welcome TT. The KLX filter thread has a life of its own. Do a "KLX 250 oil filter" search in the Forum search box, and you'll learn more than the factory knows!
Glad to have you with us. You're at the right place for KLX info. Gear up; stay safe.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Do one better.... take a couple pair of pliers.and bend the last coil so it sits in the pieces of the motor and it wont fall out. I did that years ago, havent touched the spring since. I never used grease, i never liked the idea of adding a glob of grease to my oil.
+1 on bending a coil out on the spring. Works great and dosen't take much.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by wildcard
+1 on bending a coil out on the spring. Works great and dosen't take much.
Another vote for bending the spring - bent my spring (only takes a little) and it has made putting the filter back in a piece of cake... Mmmmm cake...

Old 07-06-2012, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member

It doesn't look like anybody has mentioned bending the spring bigger on one end yet
You might as well fix that little problem, rather than putting a band-aid on it.
Congrats on the bike!
Dan

Name:  IMG_7452.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  42.9 KB

Old 07-06-2012, 05:22 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the spring bend, 900 mi since 06 thats a slow weekend for me lol, get out there and ride!

Old 07-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TARKaw
Another vote for bending the spring - bent my spring (only takes a little) and it has made putting the filter back in a piece of cake... Mmmmm cake...
Like the way you think....

Old 07-06-2012, 11:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Note to self. Remember to bend the spring next time.

I was lucky the last time, in that the spring didn't move, just hanging for dear life to the remaining oil suctioned on. I didn't ask questions and just popped the new filter on.

That reminds me to drain my oil today.

BTW I got almost the same thing as you at the start of the year. My 06 had 600 miles and I am not even sure the oil had been changed. The dealer did a service on it as it was a trade. I was, like you really leery about the tires. However I ran them down since they just looked good with no cracks. So if you still have yours send them my way!

Quick Reply: Oil filter question