Oil Filter frustrations............and stupidness.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 02:21 AM
Default Oil Filter frustrations............and stupidness.......

I changed my oil today. I jotted down some #'s off the post of common part #'s. A Fram CH6015 will not work. Purolator ML16815 will not work. Napa gold 4944 will not work. The problem is that the 4 castleations (*******) in the case that surrounds the spring is too large to fit properly into the recess in the filter. They are all identical. except for this one flaw. The cover just won't go on. I measured the Kawasaki oil filter recess opening, and it is about 1/8 inch bigger than all of these others.Needless to say, I had to make a special trip to the stealership and get raped again for a genuine Kawi filter. I work at a new car dealership, and my parts dept just kept ordering filters for me from the #'s I supplied them. I even had them try to havethe parts houses look it up by application, and NO ONE lists filters for this bike. Napa, Carquest, Advance Auto Parts, Autozone. Frustration at its finest. All day do do a 15 minute oil change.

But on another note, I washed it, rolled it inside, blew it dry with compressed airand actually Armoralled the tires with Black Magic tire wet. Deej was making me jealous, so I had to do something. I slicked them there tires in my shop which has high gloss floors and you know what happened next. The bike didn't fall, but I did as I was walking around the front end to do the other side of the front tire. Busted my AS* HARD. Darn overspray. Looks much better now, except for my rear end that's badly bruised. I haven't taken a fall like that in twenty years. Sucks to get old.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Oil Filter frustrations............and stupidness.......

Fram CH6015 works great for me. I've been through 7 of them and just put another in last night. Are you sure it wasn't because the spring was cocked off? Did you do the spring mod where you open up the last coil so it permanently stays inside the fingers in the block? The ******* don't go inside that indent, so far as I know they don't anway.

My procedure is to stick the filter onto the nub on the filter housing, then slide that into position, works like charm now that the spring stays in the motor. Prior to this I used the greased spring stuck to the end of the filter, which worked most of the time but it would occasionally fall off.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Strange. I use a Fram CH6015, twice. The only problem I had was that dang spring kept falling out. Last oil change I did the filter spring mod (just expand the base a little), and no moreproblems.

Sorry for the busted *** thou. Don't worry, you're not the only one who did the same thing today. Got a little messy with the rim ease, and busted mine against the tire mounter machine.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:59 AM

No,it just won't fit. Any of them. The filters won't go in far enough because of the reduced diameter recess. I tried fitting just the filter in it and comparing the fitment to the Kawi filter, and the Kawi filter goes in all the way to the machined lip (the outside part of the filter, to the point where the cover stops). And I fitted it up without the spring, just to make sure that wasn't the problem. I widened the first rung on my first oil change, and yes, this mod does work great. I also tried fitting fiting them up with no spring, and no oring. I wish I took pics! Camera was at home........

Just a note: mine is an 07, but the build date is 9/06. I don't know if the casings changed or what, but I tried and tried and tried, and the Kawi filters fit, and all others won't. CRAP..........

Old 09-28-2007, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I see you just joined this year, is your bike an 07? I find it pretty hard to believe they would change something like that between the years but maybe?

Old 09-28-2007, 07:16 AM
1st Gear Member

They won't have changed it, I just use Honda XR filters they work fine. I even get a discount at the honda shop lol

Old 09-28-2007, 03:54 PM

Do you have a part number for the XR filter? My local ( 1.5 hrs drive ) Kawi shop are IDIOTS and I can't seem to find the Fram filters anywhere.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Why not try the K&N oil fitler. I'm on my 3rd one and it works/fits super duper.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I too have used the K&N, no fitment issues, something sounds fishy with your bike. Don't take this the wrong way but you are putting the gasketed part of the filter onto the nub on the filter cover right? My grandfather put one in backwards in his Honda 300 Fourtrax. They are the same setup and same filter. It fit but it ruined the top end due to oil starvation.

That's the only thing I can thing of why the indent depth on the filter would make a difference. Again no offense intended, sometimes its just the little things that can be missed.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I have used both the Fram CH6015and thePurolator ML16815 in my 2007 KLX250S with no fitment problems.

Here's a graphic to illustrate bryantjt's point:

Quick Reply: Oil Filter frustrations............and stupidness.......