Oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ranger Ron
I chained my filter once, but it still got away.

Oil change and filter at 3000 miles on all my bikes.

Ron
You do 3K on the KLX? with only a quart and a half of oil? I change it every 1000 miles, i also use semi synthetic oil.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:30 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
You do 3K on the KLX? with only a quart and a half of oil? I change it every 1000 miles, i also use semi synthetic oil.
Semi-synthetic?...isn't that like "just having a little sex"?

I usually do about 3000 miles on a filter but change the oil at about 1000 mile intervals. Having monitored the water temps on my digital Vapor instrument panel, I don't think temperature is a problem for our oil. I think the fact that we have a wet clutch and tranny sharing our engine's oil is the main issue. Gears can shear oil molecule chains and the clutch leaves more particles in the oil than any other element in the engine. It's really the shearing and clutch issue that causes the requirement for more robust oil IMO. I don't think our engine components themselves are that hard on the oil...at least compared to engines in general.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

By all accounts, you must admit that it was going pretty smoothly (the conversation/orientation of the filter instructions) until post #8 when EMS shows a CLOSE UP picture of the filter with an obvious HOLE IN EACH END, then tries to convince the OP/all others that the filter only has a hole in 1 end.

Just my observation.

I am late to the party, but post #8 still shows the filter with a HOLE IN EACH END as well as text below it trying to convince the original poster/all readers otherwise. Not trying to Hate, just calling it how I see/read it.

Good luck with your motor reassembly

Old 02-01-2012, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Semi-synthetic?...isn't that like "just having a little sex"?
Yeah, dont know wtf semi synthetic oil is but if EMS really means he uses 'Synthetic-Blend' oils in his bike then it means that he is getting the best of both worlds.

Synthetics and dinosaurs. I like 'em too.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

If you want to really get in deep on lubrication technology, do a Google for Lubrication Management and Technology. They have a bi-monthly magazine and e-news. Their "Certification Matters" articles (I've Tweeted) are excellent. Sign up for the e-newsletter. Good stuff.

Last edited by jeffzx9; 02-01-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by whyzee
By all accounts, you must admit that it was going pretty smoothly (the conversation/orientation of the filter instructions) until post #8 when EMS shows a CLOSE UP picture of the filter with an obvious HOLE IN EACH END, then tries to convince the OP/all others that the filter only has a hole in 1 end.
see the shiney silver inside the inner circle.... thats metal=no hole.... see the rubber gasket and then nothing in the middle thats a hole....

Old 02-01-2012, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Nothing like a winter oil-related thread to keep things interesting.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Yeah, dont know wtf semi synthetic oil is but if EMS really means he uses 'Synthetic-Blend' oils in his bike then it means that he is getting the best of both worlds.

Synthetics and dinosaurs. I like 'em too.
i have heard many people use the term semi synthetic... i used to work at a quick lube everyone there used that term...

Old 02-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey EMS I thought you were going to close this thread....hehehehe

Old 02-01-2012, 05:02 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Just my observation.

I am late to the party, but post #8 still shows the filter with a HOLE IN EACH END as well as text below it trying to convince the original poster/all readers otherwise. Not trying to Hate, just calling it how I see/read it.

Good luck with your motor reassembly
Well, this is actually a sort of semantics issue. In the most absolute, bottom-line description you'd have to say there is a "hole" in each end, but the all metal end with the spring loaded hole is a last ditch, all-went-to-heck-in-a-handbasket hole for when the filter element is totally clogged. It's not a hole intended for any normal use. So for installation purposes, the rubber grommet/o-ring end really is the only useable hole. I think too much got made of the whole issue frankly, and the OP just lost his cool for some unknown reason. All of us have asked a question occasionally where the answer was probably somewhat obvious after the fact, and when it happens perhaps we should say "Doh!" and move on. This was clearly a "twist-off" situation by the OP and not a sprited debate over a debateable issue. Besides...we all know EMS is a jerk......JK, of course.

On semi-synthetic, I think the term is fine to describe half or partial mixes of conventional and synthetic oils. I was just being a smarta$$ like EMS.

Quick Reply: Oil filter