Oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
Agree 100%^ Lockie. I could write a book about the benefits of getting your hands dirty.
Since I've posted about my Grandpa before, I'll spare the details. I inherited his tools because I "inherited his genes." The guy is a hero to me, if seemingly to no-one else in my family. Here's to you, Grandpa......thanks.
Feel the same way about my dad. If i ever become half the man he is ill be happy.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:34 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
ok.... to continue the fun.... If that was a bypass. i doubt it would push in, Thats where the spring sits. If that inner piece of metal pushed in the spring would end up inside the filter... I have a filter at home.... i can look at it when i get home. If anything if the filter element would get completely plugged the bypass would have to push out. not in. The filter being clogged would build pressure on the internal part of the filter, so that piece of metal pushing in wouldnt make sense.... or does anyone think im out in left field? Im all for a good discussion about things, and i love to learn/know how things work.... So if you have good reasons where you think im wrong lets hear it... not trying to be smart... just trying to get this figured out. And that piece pushing in doesnt make sense for pressure and the spring reasons.... Unless the oil flows the opposite direction im thinking.
No, I get where you're coming from, but why is there a small spring loaded plate over the small hole in the all metal end? My only conclusion is that it's a bypass. If I had my oil filter cover off at the moment, I think I'd be better able to make a more definitive guess...or cut open the filter to see how a blocked flow might operate this spring loaded plate. Stuff like this is fun and interesting to see how and why things are working. Just going from history, when you see a spring loaded element in an oil filter or filter mount system, it usually denotes a bypass setup of some kind, but I'm just speculating on our KLX filter at the moment.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Doesn't the oil flow from outside the filter to in, so if there was a large pressure buildup, the metal plate bypass would press inward to the filter?

Old 02-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Im going from cars here, but i was pretty sure the oil flows from the inside out. Maybe the spring thats behind the filter is the bypass... Maybe if the oil flows from the inside out and it gets clogged the spring behind the filter compresses and it moves the filter away from the oil filter access door and bypasses that way?

Old 02-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

On top of my dad being a mechanic he built the house and garage i grew up in

You grew up in a garage?

Old 02-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Doesn't the oil flow from outside the filter to in, so if there was a large pressure buildup, the metal plate bypass would press inward to the filter?
You might be right..... This is a car, spin on style....

Old 02-02-2012, 02:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm pretty sure oil flows from outside in. Like an air filter.

This is the out-side of my filter after the initial 20 miles on the 351. The other side was clean.

Name:  IMG_9531.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  50.8 KB

Old 02-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

IDRIDR.... did you take it apart enough to see if that piece of metal is truly a bypass? Is there a spring in there to let that plate push in?

But its still not a hole....

Last edited by EMS_0525; 02-02-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

IDRIDR.... did you take it apart enough to see if that piece of metal is truly a bypass? Is there a spring in there to let that plate push in?
I took it apart enough...but I didn't look at that part and can't answer. It was last Saturday before this fine thread was going. The pieces are now buried in the bottom of a garbage can. I know I will be looking closer at it next time it comes out.

Can I say something about the proper header - muffler combination...?

Last edited by IDRIDR; 02-02-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I took it apart enough...but I didn't look at that part and can't answer. It was last Saturday before this fine thread was going.
LOL I like a good discussion, not name calling, or arguing.... discussion.

Quick Reply: Oil filter