Oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 04:20 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lutz
'Synthetic' oil is an extremely mis-used and mis-understood term. All of your typical motor oils are 'dinosaur oil' (not including castor oil sometimes used in two-strokes, that stuff comes from a bean). 'Synthetic' oils are made out of the same crude as 'conventional' oils, but they're much more processed to allow better control of the properties. Whether or not a 'synthetic' oil is better than a 'conventional' oil is entirely dependent on needs of the application and the specific blend of oil (not to discount personal preference and marketing).
True...molecule manipulation and sophisticated additive packages.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lutz
'Synthetic' oil is an extremely mis-used and mis-understood term. All of your typical motor oils are 'dinosaur oil' (not including castor oil sometimes used in two-strokes, that stuff comes from a bean). 'Synthetic' oils are made out of the same crude as 'conventional' oils, but they're much more processed to allow better control of the properties. Whether or not a 'synthetic' oil is better than a 'conventional' oil is entirely dependent on needs of the application and the specific blend of oil (not to discount personal preference and marketing).
There are true synthetic oils. Amsoil is true synthetic.

Originally Posted by whyzee
Ahhhh. Add another reason to the list of reasons as to why I refuse to take any vehicle, including my own, to a quick lube.

Next time you shop for oils, notice the types that have partial synthetic and partial conventional are labeled as synthetic blend
I know that probably doesnt paint a pretty picture of me, i would never take my vehicle anywhere to get worked on, but i know what im doing. I grew up in the garage, my dad had been a mechanic his whole life, and also drag raced. I havent met anyone that knows more/ is a better mechanic than him.

Pretty particular about what the oil is called? I know what it says on the bottle... GM calls the shaft that connects the trans to the rear end a drive shaft, Subaru calls it a propeller shaft. How about "rear end"? rear differential? same thing... no biggie. Its not like im completely using the wrong term....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthet...-synthetic_oil
http://www.bikebandit.com/bel-ray-ex...ycle-motor-oil
http://wingstuff.com/products/25586-...?sitesync=done

Last edited by EMS_0525; 02-02-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by whyzee
LOL. It must be like a glass filled with water/beer to the midway point....Is it half full or half empty.

I see an oil filter with a hole in each end. I do know the proper orientation in which it goes into my bike.
half empty or half full? thats an opinion...... If something has a hole or not is a fact. There is a hole or not. I do not see how someone can say there is a hole there, the metal is indented... but no hole.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I think we all need a little seat time... cabin fever setting in hard..... i got out on both of my other 2 wheelers yesterday....

Name:  2012-02-01_18-54-17_31.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  56.6 KB

Old 02-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

EMS, you're my kinda dude, (wait, that sounds bad) um...in a fist-bump kinda way. I appreciate guys who jump in and get their hands dirty. Go, man!

Old 02-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
EMS, you're my kinda dude, (wait, that sounds bad) um...in a fist-bump kinda way. I appreciate guys who jump in and get their hands dirty. Go, man!
I can do anything any other guy can do, if not better, so why pay someone to do it. I have always fixed all my own stuff. On top of my dad being a mechanic he built the house and garage i grew up in, everything except the masonry and concrete work. When any electrical, plumbing, or carpentry work needed done we always did it. I have known how to solder copper pipe since i was 12 or something. I grew up in the woods and in the garage. I like and enjoy getting my hands dirty...

Name:  2011-06-14_15-52-42_69.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  83.2 KB

I know my abilities. I do everything at 110% Im good at what i do.

Last edited by EMS_0525; 02-02-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

X2 with EMS, the only way to learn is to dig in if you think you are above your head ask for help. 3 years ago I had no idea, but for the last 3 years I've been digging in and I've learned a hell of alot :P

Old 02-02-2012, 02:12 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
half empty or half full? thats an opinion...... If something has a hole or not is a fact. There is a hole or not. I do not see how someone can say there is a hole there, the metal is indented... but no hole.
EMS, I think there is a hole in the all metal end of the stock filter. Like I said earlier, I think it's some kind of spring loaded metal plate type of hole that only comes into operation when/if the filter becomes totally plugged...a bypass or such. One would/should not have looked at this all metal end and assumed it was a possible candidate for the oil flow end of the filter, but in the most technical sense, it does have a hole in the all metal end. C'mon...we can't let the fun stop now, can we?...LOL!

Seriously though, if anyone has a filter in hand, see if you can't poke the indented plate with a screwdriver or such to see if it moves.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Agree 100%^ Lockie. I could write a book about the benefits of getting your hands dirty.
Since I've posted about my Grandpa before, I'll spare the details. I inherited his tools because I "inherited his genes." The guy is a hero to me, if seemingly to no-one else in my family. Here's to you, Grandpa......thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Oil filter-0915070922.jpg  

Last edited by jeffzx9; 02-02-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
EMS, I think there is a hole in the all metal end of the stock filter. Like I said earlier, I think it's some kind of spring loaded metal plate type of hole that only comes into operation when/if the filter becomes totally plugged...a bypass or such. One would/should not have looked at this all metal end and assumed it was a possible candidate for the oil flow end of the filter, but in the most technical sense, it does have a hole in the all metal end. C'mon...we can't let the fun stop now, can we?...LOL!

Seriously though, if anyone has a filter in hand, see if you can't poke the indented plate with a screwdriver or such to see if it moves.
ok.... to continue the fun.... If that was a bypass. i doubt it would push in, Thats where the spring sits. If that inner piece of metal pushed in the spring would end up inside the filter... I have a filter at home.... i can look at it when i get home. If anything if the filter element would get completely plugged the bypass would have to push out. not in. The filter being clogged would build pressure on the internal part of the filter, so that piece of metal pushing in wouldnt make sense.... or does anyone think im out in left field? Im all for a good discussion about things, and i love to learn/know how things work.... So if you have good reasons where you think im wrong lets hear it... not trying to be smart... just trying to get this figured out. And that piece pushing in doesnt make sense for pressure and the spring reasons.... Unless the oil flows the opposite direction im thinking.

Last edited by EMS_0525; 02-02-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil filter