oil circulation problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 01:14 PM
eas
1st Gear Member
Default Oil Level/Shop Manuals

BikeBandit.com has the shop manuals. http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...-2007/o/m10034 You will need both, in spite of what your dealer said about them not being specific to your bike. Any time you feel you've put too much oil in the bike, use a turkey baster or large syringe with a hose attached to the tip. Pull out enough oil to get the level where you want. Pg. 6-4 of the supplement shop manual says 1.3 L when filter is not removed, 1.4 L when filter is removed, and 1.5 L when engine is completely dry. Level amount is between upper and lower lines.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wynn711
I have never lost any oil from the breather when the bike has gone down on me. Maybe they have changed something on the 07? So I still do not understand where the splitter is? Inside the crankcase?
yes, it comes standard. you have one.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

"inside the crankcase?"
yes. where the breather hose is, it runs to your air box

Old 07-17-2009, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gerrynolan
I rock mine side to side when draining to get out every last bit. It really spits out alot more when you tilt the bike at different angles while draining. I put a stock Kawi Filter in. I put 1.5 QT's. It just touches the top of the window. I also drain while full hot. The hotter the better. More impurities are suspended in the oil when hot. I would say that about 1.3 quarts would be minimum to add back in depending on how careful you are to get all the old oil out. I'm sure you're safe as long as it's in the window somewhere but I like a tiny bit extra Vs. a bit too little.
I agree with you totally. I drain the same way and wil even turn over the engine to make sure I am getting it all out. Everyone is talking quarts vs liters and a liter is larger than a quart. Mine is right at the top line. I was told to take it off the stand and try to check the level but it is almost impossible to hold the bike straight up. It is almost impossible to do by yourself, getting a much better reading on the stand which is stitting on a Utah Skid Plate.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Again...measure if you want, but the sight glass can't lie. Just like a car, fill it to the m ark, start it up, run for 30 seconds and top it off. The filter is going to pull a little.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't really measure either but I use 3 quarts of Amsoil synthetic for every 2 oil changes. Runs it right to the top of the sight glass. I always change the filter.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wynn711
I have never lost any oil from the breather when the bike has gone down on me. Maybe they have changed something on the 07? So I still do not understand where the splitter is? Inside the crankcase?
IF your bike goes down on you I think it should at least be bike of the month!!!

Old 07-19-2009, 06:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Going Down

Originally Posted by redpillar
IF your bike goes down on you I think it should at least be bike of the month!!!
If there is anyone out there who has not had their bike back in the woods or in some bad places and has not gone down then they are wussies! Nothing better than getting your daily workout from picking up that 250 lb "hunk of burning love" after it has been on top on you!

Old 07-19-2009, 07:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gerrynolan
page 87 in owners manual states 1.5 quarts when filter is changed, 1.4 quarts without oil filter, 1.6 quarts when completely dry. That tells me that .1 quart is left in when draining oil and replacing filter. I can't believe you pulled a full 1/2 quart and still are at the top line. I admit mine's at the very top of the window with 1.5 quarts but I don't have any problems. Running WFO could aerate the oil I guess but I think that's a bit far fetched.
Gerry, I did pull out at least .5 liter but have put a small amount back in maybe .1 liter and the window is full when cold. When I was completly filling with 1.5 liters after starting the bike a second time (first time did drop filling the oil filter) the level would not drop below the top of the sight glass at all. Now it drops to above the lower line level.

Since it was so full with the 1.5 liters and not dropping at all in the window, I was seeing in the oil through the window what appeared to me to be air in the oil, that would be after a 40 to 50 mile ride. That is what is telling me it was overfilled. Now I am not getting anything like with the level I am now running.

When you fill with 1.5 quarts and do a second run after the filter is full, where is your oil level dropping to when you start your bike? Where is it after it is hot running?

My oil level was never dropping below the top of the window no matter what, cold or hot, running or not. It was overfilled and I am sure the oil was filled with air pockets after a run, hot and sitting at idle I could see this in the oil through the window, I do not know what else it could have been?

Last edited by wynn711; 07-19-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
Bike of the year if you ask me.

My bike doesn't so much go down on me, as I go down on it.
errrr you know what i mean.

Quick Reply: oil circulation problem