oil circulation problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:27 AM
1st Gear Member

and also, what series is you rx-7, my brother in law has a rx4, 11 second non turbo beast. he has go me to love rotaries and i have got him to love dirt bikes.

must the series 1,2 and three look the best

Old 07-16-2009, 11:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Noises or in my HEAD!

Originally Posted by fgk228
no no no, the skid plate reflects the sound from the engine, causing some rattles to become noticeable from the engine
I am really having no problem now with noises at all. At idle it is as quiet as it can be but I do hear some head noises when riding but with the Two Brothers Slip On it is hard to hear when you have it opened up, only really hearing on deceleration and at lower rpms. I could be that the sounds are reflecting off the plate causing them to be more noticeable but I think I have all of this worked out.

I was running to much oil in the bike per the owners manual. It was overfilled with 1.5 liters of oil on a change and after my ride last night I feel much better to know that the oil level is at a proper level for the pump to pick up and recirculate as intended.

There are no Service Manuals for the KLX250S on KAW Website. I ordered the two they recommended, $59 and $39 and the dealer did not recommend them either becasue they are not specific to the bike, they were returned to KAW.

Thanks for your comments but were does your oil level show on the window?

Old 07-16-2009, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member

i always have filled mine to the top mark, as you will always lose oil not gain oil, also i have taken the oil splitter out so i lose oil very slowly or if i drop it.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Oil Splitter

i always have filled mine to the top mark, as you will always lose oil not gain oil, also i have taken the oil splitter out so i lose oil very slowly or if i drop it.
What is an oil splitter. You have an 09?

Old 07-16-2009, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

and also, what series is you rx-7, my brother in law has a rx4, 11 second non turbo beast. he has go me to love rotaries and i have got him to love dirt bikes.

must the series 1,2 and three look the best
Second generation RX-7 GTU version they built based on their IMSA GTU Championships for so many years. It has the Turbo suspension but just the normal engine, sunrise red, moonroof and a $4 k stereo system in it. I bought it new in 88 and I still have the sticker off the window it was over $20k back then but it has never been recked and stays under cover in storage with a trickle charger on it. It is a blast to drive but almost 21 years old now and looks like it just came off the showroom floor.

Sorry I did not see your guestion above.

My oil level is now perfect. Called the dealer today and the parts manager races KTM 4 strokes and he told me to fill it to the line as the owners manual says. He said it more than likely did not hurt anything, if it was to full it would have blown out somewhere but no exhaust smoke or oil leaks anywhere since I bought it new 2 years ago.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

page 87 in owners manual states 1.5 quarts when filter is changed, 1.4 quarts without oil filter, 1.6 quarts when completely dry. That tells me that .1 quart is left in when draining oil and replacing filter. I can't believe you pulled a full 1/2 quart and still are at the top line. I admit mine's at the very top of the window with 1.5 quarts but I don't have any problems. Running WFO could aerate the oil I guess but I think that's a bit far fetched.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wynn711
What is an oil splitter. You have an 09?
its a 1999, the klx hasnt changed at all motor wise. the oil splitter is the device that stops you engine from losing oil when you lay the bike down from the engine breather at a cost of a 2-3hp... basically it is a pain in the **** not to have.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Page 87

Originally Posted by gerrynolan
page 87 in owners manual states 1.5 quarts when filter is changed, 1.4 quarts without oil filter, 1.6 quarts when completely dry. That tells me that .1 quart is left in when draining oil and replacing filter. I can't believe you pulled a full 1/2 quart and still are at the top line. I admit mine's at the very top of the window with 1.5 quarts but I don't have any problems. Running WFO could aerate the oil I guess but I think that's a bit far fetched.
I agree, it is on my page 86 for the 07 KLX 250S. Once again I was reading before page 86 on changing and refilling the oil. It states to fill to between the lines on the window sitting level as I have explained before. That is what threw me so bad. I confirmed with the dealer that there is oil in the engine that will never drain with an oil change and you should go by the window, no certain amount as I have done for the past two years should be added. My oil level on my stand is now sitting at the upper oil level line. Hell I am happy, if it only takes one liter of the Castrol Racing Oil at $12 a Liter then that is what I will put in it but it is evident that 1.5 Liters is way to much oil when changing the oil now to me.

How much do you add during your change and where does the oil level line show on your window?

Another thing that could be causing differences in oil level is the filter anyone is running, I run K&N KN-112. A cheaper filter could be picking up more oil and then letting the level drop to the proper level on the window?

Last edited by wynn711; 07-17-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Oil Splitter

its a 1999, the klx hasnt changed at all motor wise. the oil splitter is the device that stops you engine from losing oil when you lay the bike down from the engine breather at a cost of a 2-3hp... basically it is a pain in the **** not to have.
I have never lost any oil from the breather when the bike has gone down on me. Maybe they have changed something on the 07? So I still do not understand where the splitter is? Inside the crankcase?

Old 07-17-2009, 12:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wynn711
I agree, it is on my page 86 for the 07 KLX 250S. Once again I was reading before page 86 on changing and refilling the oil. It states to fill to between the lines on the window sitting level as I have explained before. That is what threw me so bad. I confirmed with the dealer that there is oil in the engine that will never drain with an oil change and you should go by the window, no certain amount as I have done for the past two years should be added. My oil level on my stand is now sitting at the upper oil level line. Hell I am happy, if it only takes one liter of the Castrol Racing Oil at $12 a Liter then that is what I will put in it but it is evident that 1.5 Liters is way to much oil when changing the oil now to me.

How much do you add during your change and where does the oil level line show on your window?

Another thing that could be causing differences in oil level is the filter anyone is running, I run K&N KN-112. A cheaper filter could be picking up more oil and then letting the level drop to the proper level on the window?
I rock mine side to side when draining to get out every last bit. It really spits out alot more when you tilt the bike at different angles while draining. I put a stock Kawi Filter in. I put 1.5 QT's. It just touches the top of the window. I also drain while full hot. The hotter the better. More impurities are suspended in the oil when hot. I would say that about 1.3 quarts would be minimum to add back in depending on how careful you are to get all the old oil out. I'm sure you're safe as long as it's in the window somewhere but I like a tiny bit extra Vs. a bit too little.

Last edited by gerrynolan; 07-17-2009 at 01:33 PM.

Quick Reply: oil circulation problem