Oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 11:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Oil change question

So today I did the oil change for the season, but there's something that bothers me. I let the oil drain for like 10 minutes also tilted the bike in every direction to help the process, but only around 1 Liter of oil came out the engine which doesn't feel right to me. Before the process I checked the oil level and it was right in the middle of the gauge. After adding around 1,1 Liter of the new oil and changing the filter, the oil level is at the top of the gauge. I do know that there's always going to be some oil that won't come out, but 1/3 of the capacity feel a little to much. Did I do something wrong or it is completely normal?

Old 04-13-2022, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

1.5 qts U.S. came out when I did mine. That includes letting the filter drain into the old oil container.

Old 08-16-2023, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mateja
So today I did the oil change for the season, but there's something that bothers me. I let the oil drain for like 10 minutes also tilted the bike in every direction to help the process, but only around 1 Liter of oil came out the engine which doesn't feel right to me. Before the process I checked the oil level and it was right in the middle of the gauge. After adding around 1,1 Liter of the new oil and changing the filter, the oil level is at the top of the gauge. I do know that there's always going to be some oil that won't come out, but 1/3 of the capacity feel a little to much. Did I do something wrong or it is completely normal?
Hello, I experienced the same thing today. I drained the oil (didn't measure what came out, but it was halfway up the sightglass prior to draining), and was only able to get about 40 ounces back in my '09 KLX250SF. It's at the top of the sightglass; I just don't feel like I got everything drained that I should have.

Old 08-16-2023, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Just follow the instructions. If you tilt the bike all over, the refill amount recommended will be off. The filter holds a lot more oil than you might think, even when you "drain" it. If you're getting out what you put in, it would have to have been overfilled to start with. Don't try to outthink the engineers...

It is worth noting the variance and sight glass before and after the change so that you can log variances from change to change.

Old 08-16-2023, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Hello Bart,
The bike was on a pitstand when draining, so no "tilting the bike all over the place". I drained the crankcase, until only drops were coming out. i also changed the filter. As for engineers, well, a subject for another thread. When you say getting out what I put in, I think I mentioned I never measured what was removed, simply measuring what I am putting in.
Thanks,
Will

Old 08-16-2023, 11:59 AM
1st Gear Member

1.1 quarts is the noted amount to refill for an oil and filter change, with 1.3 quarts being the total capacity (if the engine were dry). It's totally normal to not get everything out. That number goes down to 1.0 quart with no filter change. Like you, I also tip my bike forward and back and side to side to get as much oil out as possible (that that does help, I'm sure you noticed a bunch still working it's way out when tipping it) but it still doesn't get you the whole 1.3.

Last edited by greychinos; 08-16-2023 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-16-2023, 01:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bmart
Just follow the instructions. If you tilt the bike all over, the refill amount recommended will be off. The filter holds a lot more oil than you might think, even when you "drain" it. If you're getting out what you put in, it would have to have been overfilled to start with. Don't try to outthink the engineers...

It is worth noting the variance and sight glass before and after the change so that you can log variances from change to change.
Bart...cute.
My comment was for the original poster.

Old 08-16-2023, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank you everyone for your responses to the oil change question (re:refill amounts).