Oil change, Big Difference!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 10:57 PM
Default Oil change, Big Difference!!

Hey guys, I went and got the replacement bolts for the one that sheared off on the oil filter cover, got it at home depot. I put the cap on it, filled her up with her life blood and cranked her up, whoa!! This time I used Rotella 5W-40, which I have been using for my VTX, and let me tell you, this is much better. I was using Havoline 10W-40, but I have heard way too many good things about Rotella 5W-40, and the fact that I had some laying around from my VTX.

The start up is the most noticable. It used to be that I would start her up and she would idle fine but would take a while to warm up. If I would turn the Throttle after about 20 seconds of warm up then it would rev just a little, hesitate for 1 second, and then it would rev back up. I knew it was warmed up when it stopped doing this. Well now that I have the Rotella 5w-40 synthetic oil in it, it would rev right up after 20 seconds with NO HESITATION at all, way big difference. So now my bike is ready to ride and it is thundering and lighteing outside[:@], damn someone doesn't want me riding this weekend lol.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:49 AM
Default RE: Oil change, Big Difference!!

I thought it was the jetting at 1st too. The only thing I can think of is the fact that the 5W is not nearly as thick as the 10W when cold. So when you 1st start it up it flows much more smoothly through out the whole engine. This is just my guess, but its curious as to how now it has no hesitation after I have changed the oil and I haven't touched the jetting in over 3 months. It was like this stock too without any changes to the bike at all. Looks like the change of oil did the trick, I know sounds funky, but it did work. This is about my 6th or 7th oil change, and I have 1,770 miles on my bike right now.

My bike is completley rejetted and whatnot, but it always was hesitant on start up until it warmed up. If the jetting was off then it would stay hesitant even after the bike warmed up, but alas, its not so. After a minute the hesitation would go away. Now with the new oil in it, no hesitation.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

My bike is still stock and it always starts up instantaneously upon pushing the starter. I don't believe in warm ups(I think it's actually harmful) and I ride off(gently of course) right away. Immediately as the tach reaches 4000+ RPMs, I instantly push in the choke and the bike keeps on running with no complaint whatsoever.

Old 06-26-2006, 05:11 AM
1st Gear Member

my bike didn't start very well when i got it. when i put the dyno-jet kit in, i pulled the plug out to adjust the mixture screw at 2 1/2 turns, i found the mixture screw was completely seated from the factory. no wonder it wouldnt start very good. after installing the kit it started fiist time over.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:03 AM
1st Gear Member

weird huh ... mine is stock and starts and runs perfectly