Oh man I hope someone steals it

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Default RE: Oh man I hope someone steals it

hmmm ... ntloser, maybe you can find yourself a used KDX200 or KDX220 - slap some blinkers on it and have your 2stroke powerband on simular setup as the KLX250.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:20 AM

Iowaguy

Getting better performace out or the KLX has become a big incentive to lose weight. Its right up there behind heart attack.

About getting a bigger bike

In the dirt, I suspect a bigger,(4stroke), bike like a 650 would be too much for me and still not quite right cause it would still be a 4 stroke
I came to the conclusion that this bike is perfect for the 5 mile trip back and forth to work which is the reason I started looking at bikes in the first place. I also realized it could be dangerous for me to have an MX 250 type powerband on the road. That would lead to crazy legal problems as I have little to no impulse control (as I previously mentioned) which is how I ended up with this model.

Hell to the muthafu|<in Yeah

One of my friends I haven't talked to for a while says hes got the hook up on a good mechanic that will help me out with the mods.

Getting a KDX and adding blinkers

I was thinking about that at first but figured I would have trouble getting that setup registered.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:13 AM

ORIGINAL: cwgoff

ntloser,

I typed this reply to you this morning but my computer froze up before I could post it. I hate it when that happens. [:@]

Anyway, my thought to you was this - I will be last one to encourage you to give up on the little green guy, but taking her back is an option, albeit not an overly attractive one.

I speak from experience, because I went through what you are going through about a week and half ago, but with a different bike. I had decided to buy a dual sport bike for a commuter bike slash occasional toy. I narrowed the search down to the Yamaha XT225 and the KLX250S. I ended up picking the XT225 for a few reasons, including short inseam (30") for the shorter bike and price (there was a new 2005 model available for $3400). Well, 2 days and 50 miles after picking up the XT225, I knew I had made a mistake.

I won't bore everyone with all of the details, but I ended up working out a deal with the dealer to buy back the XT225. He certainly didn't give me what I had given him 2 days earlier, but he treated me pretty well considering the circumstances. After all of the dust settled, I lost $400 on the XT225. Needless to say that I did not have a great bargaining position once we started talking the deal on the KLX250S. I paid full MSRP. He waived most of the usual crappy fees that they hit folks with though. I just had to pay tax on the difference plus tag & title. All in all, it could have been a lot worse.

I certainly don't recommend this approach to anyone trying to get a good deal on a new bike, but I figured it was much better to eat a small loss now than be stuck with a bike that I didn't like. I plan to ride this bike to and from work almost every day, plus a little on the weekend.

With all of that said, ntloser, I hope you decide to stick with the KLX250S. I got mine on dirt for the first time today and had a blast. (Pics to follow in another post later).

Good luck in your decision. Best regards.

My dealer will not take it back. At one point before I took delivery of it, I thought I might have made a mistake and called the dealership and told them I changed my mind. They made it clear they were not going to let me out of the contract. That pissed me off to no end. When they dropped off the bike, I refused to sign for it and they left it. I was thinking about exploring return/ exchange options today but not sure the best way to go about it. Ultimately getting out of the contract would be great that way I could take time to test out different bikes and do it right. I just don't think that is going to happen without a lawyer.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:35 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I know its a sh1tty feeling to make a large purchase like this and think its the wrong one in hindsight. Unless you can get a lawyer that works for free - how likely is that - you could spend a wheel barrel full of money just to get them to take it back. I'd say instead take another $500 and get the new pipe, do the carb and airbox mods, and work on the suspension - possibly replacing the springs to something more suitable to your weight. For about $500 or $600 you can turn it into something that I think might surprise you. I don't think it will ever perform quite like an MX bike - but it doesn't sound like that is quite what you want anyway based on what you said above about using it for commuting. So in reality, after a little work, you might even find that it works out really well in the long run.

Best of luck ... I hope it works out for ya.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Here in Washington State you have 3 days to change your mind on a vehicle purchase, I would assume it applies to motorcycles too. What state are you in?

Old 08-28-2006, 09:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

I know its a sh1tty feeling to make a large purchase like this and think its the wrong one in hindsight. Unless you can get a lawyer that works for free - how likely is that - you could spend a wheel barrel full of money just to get them to take it back. I'd say instead take another $500 and get the new pipe, do the carb and airbox mods, and work on the suspension - possibly replacing the springs to something more suitable to your weight. For about $500 or $600 you can turn it into something that I think might surprise you. I don't think it will ever perform quite like an MX bike - but it doesn't sound like that is quite what you want anyway based on what you said above about using it for commuting. So in reality, after a little work, you might even find that it works out really well in the long run.

Best of luck ... I hope it works out for ya.
Thanks for empathizing. I am sure it will all work out somehow. Even though I can't break loose through all the gears yet, I still look forward to the ride to and from work.. mostly from.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:37 AM

I am in Florida.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:53 PM
1st Gear Member

if you hadnt signed any paperwork i cant see how you would have ANY obligations to any contracts.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:19 PM

I realize that. Unfortunately i signed the contract at the dealer. I did not sign for the delivery.

Quick Reply: Oh man I hope someone steals it