Oh man I hope someone steals it

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Default RE: Oh man I hope someone steals it

ntloser with the gearing changes i have made i rarely drive mine below 6000 rpms.The bike makes all of it hp from 6000 to 9000 rpms.

Old 08-26-2006, 11:24 PM

I just drove my bike really hard for the first time since doing all of the mods and it is awesome. I have done the 13t sprocket, double snorkel with one being the hi flo, uni air filter, smog removal, dyno jet kit, big gun exhaust. I'll tell you what this bike runs just perfect right now and I weigh 240-250 depending on the day. I couldn't even imagine what it would feel like if I were 180. Stick with the bike and put a little more money into it and you will not regret it. Thanks for all of the help guys I have driven bikes for most of my life but have never had the courage to work on them. With all of the help from this forum I was able to do all mods by myself and save some money. Once again thanks

Old 08-27-2006, 01:17 AM

deej,

I the last bike I rode was my RM, a husqvarna 430 (not sure on sizeor model), and an occasional romp a friends KDX 200. Those are the bikes I am comparing it to. I know.. apples and oranges.

Yes I am big, wider than you all. 267 - 280.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:26 AM

ORIGINAL: ntloser

After the mods, are you guys able to break loose on dirt roads while winding through the gears?

After the mods - all the mods - you can break the rear tire loose in the dirt without even trying!

Like we keep trying to tell you, the bike is a corked up bike that will respond very, very well to some basic jetting, airflow and tweaking changes very nicely.

I just did a friend's bike. His was factory stock. He watched me do it, then took it out for a ride. I live about a stone's throw from some great riding, and I showed him where to head on a map. When he got back, I didn't have to ask him how he liked the bike. His grin from ear to ear gave it away.

Besides, a new bike, any new bike doesn't run right until you have about 1000 miles on it. They continue to get looser as the miles add up. A loose motor is a good motor.

Now, why didn't you march the bike right back to the dealer and complain about the setup. If it were my bike, if you paid for dealer setup, I would be on the phone talking to the manager of the dealership! He blew it, take advantage of his fault.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:35 AM

ntloser,

I typed this reply to you this morning but my computer froze up before I could post it. I hate it when that happens. [:@]

Anyway, my thought to you was this - I will be last one to encourage you to give up on the little green guy, but taking her back is an option, albeit not an overly attractive one.

I speak from experience, because I went through what you are going through about a week and half ago, but with a different bike. I had decided to buy a dual sport bike for a commuter bike slash occasional toy. I narrowed the search down to the Yamaha XT225 and the KLX250S. I ended up picking the XT225 for a few reasons, including short inseam (30") for the shorter bike and price (there was a new 2005 model available for $3400). Well, 2 days and 50 miles after picking up the XT225, I knew I had made a mistake.

I won't bore everyone with all of the details, but I ended up working out a deal with the dealer to buy back the XT225. He certainly didn't give me what I had given him 2 days earlier, but he treated me pretty well considering the circumstances. After all of the dust settled, I lost $400 on the XT225. Needless to say that I did not have a great bargaining position once we started talking the deal on the KLX250S. I paid full MSRP. He waived most of the usual crappy fees that they hit folks with though. I just had to pay tax on the difference plus tag & title. All in all, it could have been a lot worse.

I certainly don't recommend this approach to anyone trying to get a good deal on a new bike, but I figured it was much better to eat a small loss now than be stuck with a bike that I didn't like. I plan to ride this bike to and from work almost every day, plus a little on the weekend.

With all of that said, ntloser, I hope you decide to stick with the KLX250S. I got mine on dirt for the first time today and had a blast. (Pics to follow in another post later).

Good luck in your decision. Best regards.

Old 08-27-2006, 04:06 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey cwgoff - you should feel fortunate to only lose $400 on that deal, IMO. And paying MSRP is not so bad - I did also, not much bargaining room in Jan here around Raleigh. Of the two Kawi dealers around here, one had sold his last one a few weeks earlier and couldn't say when he'd be getting more in, and the other had only one left with lots of folks eyeing it up. Not much incentive to deal when they are flying off the floor like that. He did try to even tack on an additional $375 or so of setup but I flat out told him that I was not paying that. My reasoning was that I was right there with checkbook in hand ready to pay in full right now while all the other guys are just sort've circling and unsure, and I was already paying MSRP, and that already includes a reasonable profit for him including the very limited setup they actually have to do to which the dealer did agree and took off the charges. I was ready to walk away if he insisted otherwise and I guess he sensed that, not that he would have had much trouble selling it in probably less than a week's time as I mentioned there are just none around here. I was just not in a great bargaining position - simple economics of supply and demand, so MSRP it was. But no setup or extra fees. Of course I did have to pay state taxes and license stuff which is pretty unavoidable, as far as I know.

I guess that's why I don't find it terribly useful for the price comparison threads. Different locales will have their own price variations on these things based on supply and demand. In areas where the dealerships are more densely packed, or other reasons, there will certainly be better deals to be found. There were only two dealers in my area and only one had a KLX and just one left. Some will luck into great deals, others not quite so much. Sort'a like the cost of living - it varies from area to area.

Old 08-27-2006, 04:11 AM

My dealership experience was a total nightmare. The sales rep was a tool that reminisced about driving his ninja drunk and couldn't keep track of lies from sentence to sentence. At one point he took off with my car keys when I set them down to get on some other bikes.
Also the dealership is 75 miles away.
There is a closer dealership I can go to for warranty work or what not. Too bad they were unable to get the KLX for me.

I want to complain to the manager but on the other hand, I don't want to deal with them again. For price .. I don't mind paying MSRP or for any other charges if I can not get what I want anywhere else. But I also expect premium service when I am paying premium price. That did not happen. err so where I am going with this.. Oh yeah.. I am going to call the dealer and complain.

Old 08-27-2006, 04:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Damn if you're getting that kinda service, just have it crated in from an out of state dealer like I did....... it was cheaper than my Steelership and kinda fun.

Name:  pics049.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  60.3 KB

Old 08-27-2006, 04:39 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

That's the way to go, right there. I bet they still tried to charge you setup fees. [&:]

Old 08-27-2006, 04:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Dang, I ran to WV (from MD where they wouldn't deal) and got mine for $4350 NONO extra frieght/setup charges...and that was THEIR first offer. I paid about $25 out of my way for gas and $10 for a 30 day WV temp tag and had that time to go back to MD and pay my taxes (on the lower price!) and reg in MD....didn't lose a day of riding, either!!! All in all it was over $700 better than the MSRP + freight + setup 'deals' I was getting in MD.

Rydersville Cycle....if you iz close to WV !

Quick Reply: Oh man I hope someone steals it