Officially have the worst luck

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Bike secured!

And she still runs..lol Steering is off, dash brackets snapped off, front brake lever bent, front brake bracket shattered, and fender warped from sitting on it's self for 13 hours..

Besides that, bike fired up after a few cranks..and road out of the trail like a drunk champ..lol

Pics will follow uploading in a bit.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I ride by myself at least 80% of the time in some of the most remote areas of the country. While I do have a SPOT locater, I'm also pretty careful about checking a sketchy section out on foot before committing to it. While I will still often tackle those sketchy sections by myself, it's usually after an on-foot assessment of the situation. Impatience can lead to a very long day...or night...or worse. I never ride where I can't see...period. When I raced enduros, I pretty much committed to anything that was on the trail...hoping the organizers weren't trying to kill all the contestants with on-trail boobytraps. But when I'm riding alone or just for fun, I don't have to get myself into a bad situation by just bombing into stuff. Stop and check things out.
Problem is..The section didn't look sketchy at all..Flat with no signs of a pit of doom..trail was over grown so much left/right and center that you'd never know there was a hole/drop off if you didn't stumble into it..

besides the part my bike fell into and I cleared, you will see the level of over growth when pics get added

Last edited by 6thgear; 05-27-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member

And the long awaited pictures.

Name:  946812_10150289596994986_832756131_n_zps8bbd89af.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  141.1 KB

Name:  401074_10150289596924986_695008162_n_zps7888035c.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  93.9 KB

Name:  384677_10150289596969986_2122669204_n_zpscf6e63cc.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  161.3 KB

try to resist your urge to stare at our sexy legs..lol We are military and took our morning PT time to rescue the bike..haha!

Old 05-28-2013, 01:21 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

holy crap man! glad you made it out unharmed. what a tale to tell with pictures to boot!

Old 05-28-2013, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drm
holy crap man! glad you made it out unharmed. what a tale to tell with pictures to boot!
Yea, was a interesting event that's for sure.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:46 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

6thgear, that's not a hole. That's Journey to the Center of the Earth...LOL! I'm guessing that 4-wheeled vehicles use this route? I think I'd be tempted to drive a stake in the ground in the center with some surveyor's ribbon or similar, bright color low enough to clear the bottom of a vehicle. I'm not mentioning this from a law suit angle, but who owns the property this road/trail is located on, and is it open to the public?

Old 05-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

YOUSER!!!!!!!!!! I've been gone for 5 days and I come back to this.....YIKES! In this case its good it wasn't green, you might have lost it forever.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
6thgear, that's not a hole. That's Journey to the Center of the Earth...LOL! I'm guessing that 4-wheeled vehicles use this route? I think I'd be tempted to drive a stake in the ground in the center with some surveyor's ribbon or similar, bright color low enough to clear the bottom of a vehicle. I'm not mentioning this from a law suit angle, but who owns the property this road/trail is located on, and is it open to the public?
No clue, it's a popular spot for both 4WD, and Dirtbikes...I'm going out there this weekend with a shovel, some lumber, and plugging that bloody hole..Atleast for a while. I'd like to place a sheet of steal over it, but to bloody deep into the woods to lug that in..haha!

As for who owns it, likely some Farmers. They don't care if we ride, and we accept our own risks for riding on their private property which they don't enforce

Gonna buy some pressure treated wood this week, water proof it, and call it a wrap. My little contribution to the trail for the next few years.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
YOUSER!!!!!!!!!! I've been got for 5 days and I come back to this.....YIKES! In this case its good it wasn't green, you might have lost it forever.
What can I say Deej, I play hard...And wreck in amazing..And awkward locations

Bike is fine, cost me about $80 in parts to replace/fix everything. New new handle bar, and dash arrive Thursday. Will pull the forks off to check the everything internal for any issues.

Think I got away kinda lucky..For being unlucky and falling into a pit of doom!

Old 05-28-2013, 03:55 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6thgear
No clue, it's a popular spot for both 4WD, and Dirtbikes...I'm going out there this weekend with a shovel, some lumber, and plugging that bloody hole..Atleast for a while. I'd like to place a sheet of steal over it, but to bloody deep into the woods to lug that in..haha!

As for who owns it, likely some Farmers. They don't care if we ride, and we accept our own risks for riding on their private property which they don't enforce

Gonna buy some pressure treated wood this week, water proof it, and call it a wrap. My little contribution to the trail for the next few years.
Kudos to you if you cover that up. It will provide safety for other bikers and possibly keep the farmer from having to deal with some ambulance chasing lawyer representing some crybaby in the future. I've seen these types of lawsuits in the past. Even though the landowner doesn't invite people to come and ride on his property, if he has no fence or signs and some a-hole hurts himself on his property, the landowner can have all kinds of headaches and expenses. It ain't right, but it happens. Glad the bike wasn't buggered up too.

Quick Reply: Officially have the worst luck