Odessa 100

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
I can only afford one trip this year, and its to Central Oregon for the 2nd Annual Two Cousins Ride.
come on deej just get to olympia you can put the klx with us
some food plus 10 bucks to get in........a few more for the ride
that big GOV pay should cover it!
its the 10-11th of APR
http://stumpjumpers.org/desert100/

on the "bike week" page they have a pic of the camping -its CRAZY

Last edited by wedge; 03-30-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey deej if you go i'll go. I have an extra bunk in the 5th wheel.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member

The Odessa location is much nicer than Vantage or Mattawa. It's not 40 miles of sand woops it is fast rolling trail with some rockier sections. Sage desert. This time of year the sage is green and the smell of that sage is very memorable. Days are warm and nights are cold. Bark busters and skid plates are a must. If your jetting is stock/lean, the cold mornings might make for a tough start.

No fires at the camping area so you'll want some source of heat.

Ear plugs so that you can sleep at night, this camping area is a big party all night.

Oh and one more thing, use the porta potties early in the trip since they will be full to the brim with poo by Sunday. Seriously, over the rim full of poo.

I really really like the whole weekend event and am pretty sad to miss it this year. I wanted to run the dual sport but the totally stock KLX scares me.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
I wanted to run the dual sport but the totally stock KLX scares me.
Why? Seems to me this is the kind of stuff the KLX was built for, unless you're talking about the skid plate thing. I agree, the skid plate is a must for any rocky off road stuff. But I would think you should be OK without it on the DS run.

I should say that I've never been to Odessa, so I may be talking out my pooper here.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Ohhhhhhhhhhh maaaaaan!! Now I got Wedge and Ol Guy inviting me......brutal! I'm scared....LOL Hold me? hehehehe

Old 04-01-2010, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gobius
Why? Seems to me this is the kind of stuff the KLX was built for, unless you're talking about the skid plate thing. I agree, the skid plate is a must for any rocky off road stuff. But I would think you should be OK without it on the DS run.

I should say that I've never been to Odessa, so I may be talking out my pooper here.
The stock KLX doesn't appear to be very well protected at all, not that others are more protected but I see breakage happening if I don't add protection. I will NEED bark busters, radiator braces, skid plate, tail light/fender mod, and to either remove or replace the mirrors with folders. These things aren't terribly expensive but I think they are a great investment to save replacing valuable parts.

I've had some pretty spectacular crashes at the D100 and not even during the race. Since it is a loamy desert you can come up on rocks that are cemented into the mud but sort of jutting out into the rut. It gets dusty out there and, well, those rocks will grab onto your front tire and then you get to go over the bars! I only popped one collar bone but have helped people out with broken bones and have ridden past dead men with their faces covered.

You get to the end of the race and there is a bulletin board with a list of names, their bikes, and which hospital they were transported to so that you can go retrieve your buddy.

Be careful out there guys. This is a special event that is very exciting.

Last edited by Highbeam; 04-01-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Y'all are makin me nervous. Sounds like I'm going to have to rush order that skid plate.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

and I'm going to have to rush order that helmet cam!

Old 04-05-2010, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I just rush ordered the Ricochet Skid plate. I guess I can't put it off any longer.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsteele
I just rush ordered the Ricochet Skid plate. I guess I can't put it off any longer.
That's the same as the utah skid plate right? Where did you order for the best price? I need one too.

You all will love Odessa. Ride the iron man poker run or DS event if you want an excellent ride in gorgeous country. On Sunday, just stay long enough to watch the start and then go home. This is one riding opportunity you don't want to miss without a darn good reason.

Quick Reply: Odessa 100