Now I understand why everyone upgrades their stock tires!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
Thanks guys, spam deleted and spammer is toast. Spam goes good on toast.
mmmmmm..........spam!

Old 05-22-2009, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

That would be crazy!!! I am going to buy another set of kenda 270's after 10,000 miles there are still some life on them so I am going to try another set!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

+1 on the kendas. got the 270 on the rear of mine. like it a lot. gonna need a front tire soon. mixed reviews on the front kenda it seems. Probably get one anyway and get my own opinion.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I got 270's front and rear right now...Like i said i got just under 10,000 on this set...The front is ok...I would like something better I guess but for the riding I do and the miles I can get out of a set I might as well just get the set again...

Old 05-22-2009, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Sounds good to me. Actually im quite comfy with stock tire at 22 psi! I figure whatever I get is only gonna be better. Im more interested in longevity so kenda it'll be. mostly riding hardpack gavel and pavement. knobbies wont last.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:55 AM

Spam....removed

Last edited by deej; 05-25-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by armycopter
Maverick,

I'm running full pressure in both the front and back. I guess I'm too nervous to drop the pressure based on some other's feedback on torn valve stems. I wouldn't want to drop pressure at all until I get rim locks.

On another note... how many of you change your own tires? Is that the norm or do most of you bring the bike to a mechanic? I'm thinking I could change my own tires (especially now that I was able to do my own DJ kit!) but not sure what is involved in undertaking such a project...

Thanks!
Fair comment, after all I ripped 2 valves before I worked out the right way to go. Even after you fit rim locks make sure you leave the valve nut loose otherwise you may rip a valve. BTW don't bother with a rim lock in the front.

I have changed tyres, however I marked up the rim pretty good. unless I'm out in the scrub with a flat I take them to the shop.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 05-26-2009, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: We're full time RV'ers. We live where we park it, but that's usualy out west.
Default TrakMaster II's

Originally Posted by lcpl0331
Stay away from the TMII's if you do a lot of street riding. They're only good for a 1000 miles or so. They're great in the woods but but leave a lot to be desired on the street.
We use them on all our bikes but we do as little street riding as possible.
Let's keep the perspective open on this one.
First: When I bought my front and rear tires plus the tough tubes from RMATV&MC, the cost was just over $100 including shipping.
Second: The tires are DOT approved, (Keeps the cops happy!)
Third: They perform like you would expect in the soft, muddy, sandy, creeks and do quite well on the freeway at sustained speeds up to 70 MPH ... (California Freeways trying to not get run over!)
Fourth: IMHO the factory rubber provided on my brand new '07 KLX was so slippery in the above mentioned surfaces that I couldn't wait to throw the things in the nearest dumpster, which I in fact did do! Fifth: Changing the tires by yourself isn't hard to do, it's like anything else. Just follow the technique shown on the website where the guy is changing out some Dunlops for the TrakMaster II's, Sixth: Lower pressure in the soft stuff is definitely advised to enhance traction, (I use 18 LBS in the soft and 21 for the hard stuff. I carry a hand pump with me at all times & strapped to the right front fork tube.) Seventh: Still riding on those TrakMaster II's over three seasons later now. Eighth: The story on the front is that it could be better for traction in the soft stuff, but once you realize the shortcoming, it's managable.... Now that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Ninth: I also have a rim lock on the front and also the rear ... good insurance, IMHO. Tenth: I never patch a tube, new replacements are always always used instead. Patches aren't safe, (remember that there are only two pieces of rubber between you and the hard stuff), and new tubes are cheap.

Stay safe out there!