Now I understand why everyone upgrades their stock tires!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Now I understand why everyone upgrades their stock tires!

Ok, I'll admit. I figured my stock tires were just fine for trail riding. I couldn't really see why everyone needed the lates Dunlop 606 or Treadmaster tire. I thought my tires were fine.

Well, this morning I went jogging down some streets that I don't normally run on and I spotted a trail heading out into a wooded area. There is a great big wooded area near where I live and i know there are trails back there but I haven't been able to find a way in. I was hoping that I finally found my entrance!

Tonight after dinner I decided to take my bike out there and see if I was correct. I now know the meaning of the term "tight technical trail." It was amazing. Lots of very steep, very rocky, and very muddy trails that often didn't get much wider than my handlebars. I dumped my bike for the first time but it wasn't too bad. It stayed running while i picked it up. I was navigating a particularly muddy, rutty, area when the back tire came around sideways and I basically just layed it down. Handlebars ended up in the mud along with the side engine casing.

Here was my first really big obstacle. I didn't manage to get around it so I turned around and tried a different trail.
Name:  Photo0023.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  111.0 KB

Here it is from another angle
Name:  Photo0024.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  88.9 KB

This is the top of a pretty steep section. It's actually steeper than the picture makes it out to be.
Name:  Photo0025.jpg
Views: 1594
Size:  131.3 KB

My tires were all over the place. The mud was the worst. There were a couple of times i thought I was going to get stuck.

The whole time i was grinning from ear to ear!

God I love this bike!!

Old 05-18-2009, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Stay away from the TMII's if you do a lot of street riding. They're only good for a 1000 miles or so. They're great in the woods but but leave a lot to be desired on the street.
We use them on all our bikes but we do as little street riding as possible.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

cool...glad to see you get in the woods..I luv riding the tuff ATV trails...its a challenge for me. I find the trackmasters to be the best so far of the tires I have used. I just ran a couple of trails near my house on Saturday where I used to run my ATV. It was the first time my riding partner has been on them...we were both stopped and helmets were off for a break just 15 mins into our ride!..lol In total we went 4 kms through the woods, he only dumped it once..very good stuff since he just got his bike liscense last year. I was off the seat more than I was on, but we both had a blast. I currently have a Kenda 778 on the rear, but it immediately filled up with mud when I went through a mudhole and it would not clean itself out...I wished I had the trakmaster on instead. Tires are a huge factor in off-roadability.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Trakmasters are way better off-road than the 606's. I hate the front 606. Can't wait to get something else on there!!!

Old 05-18-2009, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

What pressures were you running, dropping the pressure will help traction however don't go below 16 in the back unless you fit a rimlock

Old 05-18-2009, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
I hate the front 606. Can't wait to get something else on there!!!
My one and only D606 front was pulled off Saturday. Terrible tire IMHO for anyone that does mixed street and dirt riding. On the street is downright scary a couple of times.

The D606 on the back is better but, it doesn't work too well on hard pack clay with loose dirt or pea gravel on top. It pulls a lot harder in sand and off road in general then the stock tire. I need to find a better front tire to match the D606 on the rear.

Is anyone running the MT 21 RALLYCROSS by Pirelli? Does it work well with the a D606?

Old 05-18-2009, 04:51 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Tires!

Awesome trail and bet it feel true ADVENTURE! Yeah tires really affect on riding in off road plus handle on street... I have Dunlop 603 right now about 2,500 miles on it. Time to change my tire when I went to little off road. Big mistake for me just want get my bike dirty! I went 30 mph in 2 gear. Controlling sand, mud and water. THERE a tiny edge of water erosion that I need get out. My front tire didnt make it to get up. Got front wheel slide cause my body lead forward and crash got front right elbow scratch dam it! I know tires not really knobby any more just slip over little curb!

Not sure which type of tires should I invest new tires on front n back. Great riding on off roading and on street to use as commute to work do errands and great off roading handling trail KLX! Resonable price and last for 2k miles?

Old 05-18-2009, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Tires!

Awesome trail and bet it feel true ADVENTURE! Yeah tires really affect on riding in off road plus handle on street... I have Dunlop 603 right now about 2,500 miles on it. Time to change my tire when I went to little off road. Big mistake for me just want get my bike dirty! I went 30 mph in 2 gear. Controlling sand, mud and water. THERE a tiny edge of water erosion that I need get out. My front tire didn't make it to get up. Got front wheel slide cause my body lead forward and crash got front right elbow scratch dam it! I know tires not really knobby any more just slip over little curb!

Not sure which type of tires should I invest new tires on front n back. Great trail handling ride and use lot on street to use as commute to work do errands and great off roading handling trail of KLX! Reasonable price and last for 2k miles?

Old 05-18-2009, 12:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
What pressures were you running, dropping the pressure will help traction however don't go below 16 in the back unless you fit a rimlock
Maverick,

I'm running full pressure in both the front and back. I guess I'm too nervous to drop the pressure based on some other's feedback on torn valve stems. I wouldn't want to drop pressure at all until I get rim locks.

On another note... how many of you change your own tires? Is that the norm or do most of you bring the bike to a mechanic? I'm thinking I could change my own tires (especially now that I was able to do my own DJ kit!) but not sure what is involved in undertaking such a project...

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2009, 12:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Finding trails is the best!! Exploring, adventuring. That's what a dual sport is about!

I recently bought a Kenda 775 Parker DT rear. Very aggressive tread, hard compound, heavy case. Hopefully it will last more than 1000 miles. It's not mounted yet but I'll report back of course when I've got a few trail runs on it.

I'm going to attempt mounting my own tires once my front comes in.. I've got two tire irons and patience. How hard can it be? This 775 Parker DT rear is one stiff mother though, I'll attempt the front first, then the 18 rear.

~Steve

Last edited by revtor; 05-18-2009 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Now I understand why everyone upgrades their stock tires!