not so common upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by roadglider
One of the best "uncommon mods" is a Fredette chain guide. The stock POS will break in no time flat, it's really not up to any serious off road riding. I don't even know how I broke my stocker. I just got back from a ride one day and it was pretty much destroyed. I ordered one from Jeff Fredette and it is a much more solid unit for sure. You might want to look into some radiator guards as well.
Which guide as in part number did u buy because ive looked on their site and none say they fit a klx 250. Ive been looking for one for ages don't know how i smashed mine either.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I think it's the one for the DRZ400. There are two sets of spacers that come with the kit. The thicker spacer are used for that bike but they also work on the 09 KLX's ( I think you use the thinner ones for the 06/07). I don't know the part number off hand because when I got mine they didn't have one listed for an 09 so I called him and asked him about it. He didn't have one specifically for the 09 and he asked me to make some measurements. He sent me the one he thought would work and using the the thicker spacers it fits perfectly. You might email him about it. jeff@frpoffroad.com

Old 07-09-2010, 11:13 PM
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=Finger Mullet;423540]Alright whats the report on this puppy??? A program-able CDI would top the list for me..... details

You need windows, and a service manual. The rest is research. Timing curves/ mods i happen to have a rigged standalone wideband afr. So i use that.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I also do have one uncommon (if not totally unseen) mod: I transformed my bike to injection (a 2007 North American KLX250).

I work as an electronics engineer, designing custom engine controllers for various industrial applications. When I bought my bike in late 2008, it was my plan that after riding for one season, it would become an experimental bike for our team to familiarize with small 4 strokes in recreational area.

So, the project started this winter, it's now almost complete. The bike runs very well, behaves like it has a high perf. pumper carb, starts flawlessy cold or hot, automatically compensates for altitude or dirty air filter, etc.

Here is a photo of the ecu that has been designed specially for it.

There might be people interested in the full story, I'll be telling it in its own thread in a few days.

Raymond

Old 07-10-2010, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Now that sounds Kewl! Hope you bring it to market. I would think if its competitively priced with a pumper then it would be a great option becuase instelation/tuneing should be easier.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by roadglider
One of the best "uncommon mods" is a Fredette chain guide. The stock POS will break in no time flat, it's really not up to any serious off road riding. I don't even know how I broke my stocker. I just got back from a ride one day and it was pretty much destroyed. I ordered one from Jeff Fredette and it is a much more solid unit for sure. You might want to look into some radiator guards as well.
x2, good product for sure. only problem i have with it is theres almost no way your going with a bigger rear sproket, but worth it when im bouncing the bike off rocks.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maninthesea
I would think if its competitively priced with a pumper then it would be a great option becuase instelation/tuneing should be easier.
I don't know about that. I'm going through that with one of my cars right now. If it were carbed, I'd be done in a few hours. With the standalone, it's a lot more difficult.
Nonetheless, I'd like to hear the whole story.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Great thread.
Cruise control on a KLX.

My contributions would be the Nomad rear fender aux fuel tank.

Name:  PICT0022-3.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  57.2 KB

Replaced the stock ignition switch and dial assembly with a toggle switch, cradle for a Zumo GPS and 2 temp warning lamps.

Name:  PICT0032.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  70.5 KB

And added a small circuit enabling me to leave the headlight off until I wanted it on without adding another switch.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=29896

Old 07-10-2010, 11:31 PM
1st Gear Member

ManInTheSea:
I would think if its competitively priced with a pumper then it would be a great option becuase instelation/tuneing should be easier.
Alas, no, and it's not even close. The ecu itself would not be so pricey, one could imagine something like $200. But the set of components to add is extensive and costly: fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, injector, injector holder (custom made), coolant temp sensor, intake air temp sensor, atmospheric pressure sensor, wiring.

Plus, it is a real challenge to fit these: space is very restraint on a motorcycle, more so on a dirt bike.

The value for us was to gain experience with controlling injection on a recreational product (ignition will come later). We don't know exactly where we will go from there, but for now only an ecu swap on an already injected bike seems to make sense.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RayCour
ManInTheSea:

Alas, no, and it's not even close. The ecu itself would not be so pricey, one could imagine something like $200. But the set of components to add is extensive and costly: fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, injector, injector holder (custom made), coolant temp sensor, intake air temp sensor, atmospheric pressure sensor, wiring.

Plus, it is a real challenge to fit these: space is very restraint on a motorcycle, more so on a dirt bike.

The value for us was to gain experience with controlling injection on a recreational product (ignition will come later). We don't know exactly where we will go from there, but for now only an ecu swap on an already injected bike seems to make sense.
Guess I was not thinking of the whole picture. I was envisoning a tube with an injector where the carb originaly was. ECU connected by wire. Did not think of all the other sensors and fuelpump/regulator.
What I was thinking would be nice is I envisioned a plug and play product that would not need to be tuned like a carb since the ECU would be monitering & tuneing.

Quick Reply: not so common upgrades?