Not a Moab trip.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 05:46 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

The Colorado crew was heading to Moab at this point, but I went south back toward the Blanding and Bluff area. I rode the Comb Ridge/Comb Wash/Butler Wash area on both sides of the ridge. Beautiful area with indian ruins and formations everywhere. I ran into a guy on KTM950 on the Comb Wash trail and shot the bull with him for about a half hour. I also rode the Snow Flat trail in this area, and it's an awesome mix of starting in high forest and descending to canyon desert. I rode the San Juan Hill trail near Bluff where the Mormons made their way up Comb Ridge in covered wagons...crazy route. I also rode Valley of the Gods...just a beautiful dirt road through some neat formations, and then rode up Moki Dugway to get to the start of the Snow Flat trail. There is so much great riding in this whole area for all levels of riders, and the scenery is every bit as good as anything around the immediate Moab area. I finished my trip back home spending the last night in the forest above Cloudcroft, NM. The end to a great trip.

Attached Thumbnails Not a Moab trip.-p1010058.jpg   Not a Moab trip.-p1010060.jpg   Not a Moab trip.-p1010062.jpg   Not a Moab trip.-p1010064.jpg   Not a Moab trip.-p1010066.jpg  

Old 05-18-2012, 05:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice report, and pictures. Gotta get by butt down into southern UT sometime this year!!!

Old 05-18-2012, 06:06 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Now, as to the performance of the KLX on this trip. I had zero problems with the bike. I never even had to adjust the chain or add oil. This was easily about 1000 miles of riding, most of it on dirt by a large margin. I had no crashes or even a tip-over while riding on any of these rides. Only one time did I come close to what seemed like was going to be a crash, and it was on a wide open dirt road that surprised me by turning to deep sand without warning. The bike jumped and plowed sideways a time or two, but through luck and skill I kept it upright. I must have doing at least 45 when this little pucker ride started. The bike was on the ground one time on this trip, but I wasn't on it when it happened. While on the Hart's Point trail, I parked it to walk over to an overlook a few hundred yards away. When I came back the wind had blown the bike over. I had to break out the tool kit to readjust the throttle side Acerbis barkbuster, as falling on the rocks on that side caused it to move a bit. An easy fix and no drama.

On those gnarly climbs that occurred frequently on this trip, I have always been impressed how well my KLX will climb just about anything. With the 300 jug, full Muzzy exhaust, and DJ jetting, the power delivery is always spot-on. It's funny how more power or less power can get you into trouble in some sketchy situations, but just the right amount of power will get you up or through nearly anything. I don't know...I like the CV carb for a real adventure bike used in remote and gnarly conditions like these. And mileage?...I never got below 50 mpg under the worst conditions...like the Elephant Hill trail...and even got over 60 mpg on several of the others. I'm using 14/42 gearing and full knobby tires.

On the suspension, I know keeping my wheels glued to the ground with the full Race Tech shock and fork mods helped keep me under control. On those worst climbs, the powerband and suspension allowed me to even alter course when necessary and keep moving forward when hitting ledges and such. While I may not have KTM power, every bit of power I have is able to be used to keep me going.

Overall this bike was stupid simple to maintain and to ride. It may be the perfect balance between the plated, true race bike and the less competent DS bikes like the KLR and other series. While I admit to lusting after something like a street legal 2012 Husky 250 or 310, this bike gives you some solid performance and some very good off road competence and reliability that may not be present in many bikes out there.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Great report, Thad! Nice stories and great pics to go along with it. Very impressive. What all do you carry in the rear-rack pack?

Old 05-18-2012, 07:40 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Great report, Thad! Nice stories and great pics to go along with it. Very impressive. What all do you carry in the rear-rack pack?
The Colorado crew always accuses me of carrying a 6-pack in there...like you Idaho boys...LOL!...PBR! But you know I'm strictly a tequila man.

Seriously though, I carry a 10" crescent wrench, rags, 2 small tire irons...the 14-incher is bolted to the rear subframe...tubeless tire plug kit, couple of air cartridges, zip ties, mechanic's gloves, bungie cords, and a couple of other bulkier but not-too-heavy items for repair or rescue. Most of the field hand tools are in that fender bag. The number plate bag has my rainpants and face shield/goggle cleaning kit. I carry my spare 21" tube (for front or rear use), pair of space blankets, rain/warmth jacket, GPS, toilet paper, and all the other crap in my backpack. I'm loaded up fairly heavy with gear compared to most riders, but I'm by myself most of the time and very far from home.

And no...no tequila bottle with me. It's back at camp.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Man, I love that area!! Nice report and pics TNC.

I wanna get back out there one day.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Great trip , Great report, Great pictures!! Some day when my lotto ticket matches all the ping pong *****, I'm loading up a bunch of you KF guys and heading out that way to ride some of this awesome terrain with TNC as our guide. Thad yer a lucky dog

Old 05-18-2012, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Awesome pix and report, thanks for sharing

Old 05-18-2012, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice report, great pics terrific scenery

Old 05-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Default pretty interesting stuff

mule - YouTube

Quick Reply: Not a Moab trip.