Not impressed with KLX... Should I mod it or sell it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 05:21 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
interesting, but i can think of alot more bikes that i would rather buy with 10K +

Honestly for that price you could buy a used street bike and a straight up dirt bike. Or trailer/truck and a dirt bike.

Each his own though..
Exactly the problem. You can't find the best of both worlds without paying 5 figures for the bike. At that point, you are better off buying a used kx250, trailer, pick up truck, and an Aprilia supermoto

Old 04-01-2012, 12:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't have 10k in motorcycles, and i have 2 of them modded.
Yes the 690 enduro is awesome but the maintenance is an issue.
My buddy crashed his into a tree and the parts were very expensive to repair.
He had to have the frame checked to see that it wasnt bent also expensive from a little crash. And, the little seat wont get you 100 miles on the road.
AND the little gas tank wont get you far on the road.
That is why i have 2 bikes.
SO,,, go buy a 351 kit, a mikuni pumper carb, and a slip on quiet pipe.
At 190 lbs the suspension will do real well if you adjust the clickers in a bit.
This set up wil out perform a WR any day and still cost less in modded condition.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:26 PM
1st Gear Member

This thread is very amusing...........purchase a 250cc enduro and expect it to be a rocket bike.
Then people come along and are talking 400 - 700cc alternatives.....I think you seriously need to rethink what your really looking for.

It is what it is..........a very nice bike that can be made much better with a few mods, like exhaust upgrade, opening the airbox and rejetting.
Or go more extreme and do the cam mod or bore kit.

btw - Not sure what hills your talking about but like I said I can do 75 all day long on hills or not and never have to pin the throttle.

This thread is similar to the GL1800 Goldwing forum threads...........purchase a big heavy touring bike but expect it to handle like a 400lbs. rocket bike (which it actually does pretty darn well considering).

Last edited by buerkletucson; 04-01-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mmurray70
After a couple months of searching I picked up a 2006 KLX 250. Had a couple of short rides on it and im very dissapointed with the lack of power. I need a bike similer to the klx but with enough power to cruise at highway speeds and maintain highway speed on hills without being full throttle and redlined constantly.

What other bikes should I be looking at as an alternative? I need good offroad capability too. Really didnt want anything heavier then the KLX.

Is a DRZ 400 much heavier then a KLX? Would a WR450 be reliable or does it have a same engine as the race 450's?

Ahh...Another soul in search of the holy grail.

Your best bet is to do a bunch of reading over on the ADV "Thumpers" forum. Every model has it's strengths and weaknesses. Fortunately, in the age of forums all this info is readily available.

My answer was the Husky TE630. Similar in weight to the KLX, 45hp stock, big suspension, 3.2 gal tank, 3000mi oil change intervals, wide ratio 6 speed, sufficient charging system, strong rear subframe, good durability rep, decent aftermarket support, and backed by BMW ownership. It's the closest I could find to all the positive attributes of the KLX w/ big power. That being said, "bang for the buck" the KLX wins by a mile. It has sufficient everything to carry you down a lot of road and trail w/ a smile on your face.

Name:  2-29-12_012.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  135.9 KB

Name:  2-29-12_019.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  132.8 KB

Last edited by DYNOBOB; 04-01-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member

urgh...made be quite jealous...love the klx250sf for commuting and cruising, but bigger beautiful machine like the husky would be an awesome addition...

Originally Posted by DYNOBOB
Ahh...Another soul in search of the holy grail.

Your best bet is to do a bunch of reading over on the ADV "Thumpers" forum. Every model has it's strengths and weaknesses. Fortunately, in the age of forums all this info is readily available.

My answer was the Husky TE630. Similar in weight to the KLX, 45hp stock, big suspension, 3.2 gal tank, 3000mi oil change intervals, wide ratio 6 speed, sufficient charging system, strong rear subframe, good durability rep, decent aftermarket support, and backed by BMW ownership. It's the closest I could find to all the positive attributes of the KLX w/ big power. That being said, "bang for the buck" the KLX wins by a mile. It has sufficient everything to carry you down a lot of road and trail w/ a smile on your face.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I haven't rode a new DRZ but the one I spent sometime on on was a few years old, it set up so high that at 5'7'' I barely could ride it. The owner lowered it and it was still higher than my KLX stock and it handled like poop after his suspension mods. But in the first 3 gears it would wheelie at will.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Dynobob,

Your bikes are sweet.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Life is full of compromises…

When I bought my ’09 KLX, I had done a LOT of research first. The KLX was the best bang for the buck, hands down! Nothing even came close. With that in mind (price) I also noted the many mods available… again, more than ANY other DS bike out there in this class.

Knowing that; I pulled the trigger on a New (old stock) KLX. I have NOT regretted it. Was I underwhelmed with the power? You bet I was!!! Until I re-jetted it… then it turned into a whole new animal. Now I have a slip-on pipe on order, and I’m expecting only more good things once I get that installed. I might someday put the 300 kit on it, or maybe the 351… who knows?

The point is:
If you don’t like your KLX, you’re probably never going to. Sell it.

You may have had unrealistic expectations when you bought it.

If you have unlimited money to spend, you’d be far better off with something else. There *ARE* lighter, more powerful bikes out there. Some may even be as reliable as the KLX... They just cannot be bought for the same money you paid for a KLX.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

This thread is too funny. Its like the guy walked into a room full of new moms and said, Wow, those are some ugly babies you got there!

Old 04-03-2012, 11:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I didnt mean to offend anybody. I like the bike otherwise, just wanted to know if its worth my while to mod it and keep it.

I read through the "cam mod" thread. May try that over the weekend since its only time involved.

Quick Reply: Not impressed with KLX... Should I mod it or sell it?