Not impressed with KLX... Should I mod it or sell it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 05:18 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mmurray70
I weigh 190. You guys may be able to maintain highway speed in flat areas here but its not happening here without being wot if at all. I've always been a kawasaki guy and wanted a dual sport but didnt want a heavy 650 for sure. The KLX was all that was left. I bought the klx without riding it, there wasnt anything around localy for sale. I had a friend pick it up in another province. I thought i could always do a BB if it wasnt powerful enough. I still havent ruled this out.

I was also looking at the DRZ online last night as an alternative. Seems like its probably my best option. I hate the color and convetional forks. Im sure they work fine but it just seems so backwards.

What about the WR250? Seems that these are the best 250's out there. Will this be enough? Are these going to be relialbe or is it more of a race engine?

Theres a klx 450 for sale locally. But doesnt this use the same race engine as the motorcrosser? Not interested if thats the case. But looks good otherwise.

A buddy of mine is converting a KTM 300 for road right now, alot of people do it. We switched a couple times and the seat was surprizingly not all that bad when actually riding, I almost prefered his. Suspension was terrible (for what I want) on the KTM. Engine was nice though, certainly have far more potential with the right gearing then the KLX.
The street legal WR250R is not a race engine. It's a very durable DS designed engine. Yes, I have friends in CO who have street legal coverted 300's, but they'll tell you honestly that it's just not to get a ticket when crossing pavement or town sections. They suck on the highway for any distance. Otherwise great bike...later models even have electric start.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member

How about this... This should fit your bill.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/135/6307/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Husqvarna-TE250-Quick-Ride.aspx

Old 03-31-2012, 06:38 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pogiboy
How about this... This should fit your bill.

2010 Husqvarna TE250 Quick Ride - Motorcycle USA
Yep, that's one of the models I mentioned on the first page. Not perfect in the durability department compared to the KLX but maybe better than many of the pure race 4-strokes out there. Lot's of money, however.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Even a fully decked BB WR250R is only going to produce a little over 30HP.

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t1487-wr290r-big-bore-installed-update-with-dyno-info

Though you might get a pony or two with a PC 5 than the FMF EFI programmer (just a guess).

A fully tricked out KLX with BB can get into the mid 30's as WildWill has shown.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-dyno-s-28826/

The Kawi's main advantage is the overall cost to reach these levels, though the WR has a slight weight favor.

If you looking for something out of the box with more performance, you are going to either have to spend some cash al-la Husky or just go with the DRZ400 and take your compromises that way.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I was disappointed with the power output my klx too, but as time goes on you mod it and slowly the thing takes on a life of its own. It is not a highway bike but it does the job in the slow lane. It will outlast me I am sure. These bikes are swiss army knives. Not he best at anything but really good for most things. If you don't want to sink money into it to get what you want, then you should sell it and sink money in to the WR, I have considered looking for a WR to mod for long trips but I will not sell my KLX.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I kind of went through this with cars myself. I now have VW GTI and it was slow compared to even my Mazdaspeed3.

However, then I began to appreciate it for what it was. A super solid, super balanced lovable car. Ultimately I feel its the best driving car I have had for a long time. Maybe since my 1991 GTI 16v. Also a great balanced and super fun car (although I did put cams in that).

I would weigh all the aspects of this bike and what other bikes offer.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:21 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I rode a DRZ 400 and dude it felt the same to me as far as weight but the power ...dude it was awesome. But if I had a time machine I would go back and buy the Honda 650 oh and pick all the winning lottery numbers and stocks.LOL

Old 04-01-2012, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I didn't get the opportunity to ride the klx before purchase. But after looking at all the available machines that year, the kawi fit the wifey the best. Riding it home revealed a major lack of propulsion... but it is what it is. Your instincts are to modify the machine to suit your needs....

Old 04-01-2012, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Hands down, this is the "BEST" dual sport out there right now.

Why nobody ever mentions it I will never know.

The KTM 690 Enduro is the same weight as the KLX250 and has 65 horsepower. It will do 120 mph and cruises at 75 effortlessly. This is my next bike and probably the closest thing you can get to what you want right now.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by BigSky KLX; 04-01-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigSky KLX
Hands down, this is the "BEST" dual sport out there right now.

Why nobody ever mentions it I will never know.

The KTM 690 Enduro is the same weight as the KLX250 and has 65 horsepower. It will do 120 mph and cruises at 75 effortlessly. This is my next bike and probably the closest thing you can get to what you want right now.
interesting, but i can think of alot more bikes that i would rather buy with 10K +

Honestly for that price you could buy a used street bike and a straight up dirt bike. Or trailer/truck and a dirt bike.

Each his own though..

Quick Reply: Not impressed with KLX... Should I mod it or sell it?