Noob's 2 weeks w/bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Noob's 2 weeks w/bike

Picked up a 2007 KLX250. 384 miles on it at the local Suzuki dealer, $3700.
Put up with the 4k rule for about a mile, trying to keep it under 7k during the first 1K.
I had a XT225 before this, which I loved but was too short, slow and had front end shake above 60mph.
The Kawi is geared higher than the XT, I might change that.
Whats with the hard starting?! After sitting a week it was a bitch to start, that battery is too small.
Changed the oil at 524 mil. Put in AMS OIl Motorcycle synthetic. Easy change except for the spring on the filter. This site was down or would have used the floss trick.
Bike handles like a dream! Much quicker than the XT.
Can't wait to wind this motor out. Where is the tourque peak on these?
Taking it to camp tomorrow, will spend the next three months tooling around the Tioga State forest.
Great site.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:32 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Noob's 2 weeks w/bike

Good reading in here.As close as I can tell, for every day we don't do this procedure and the bike sits, it makes it 10% harder to start. Maybe more.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_966..._1/key_/tm.htm

Shut down procedure.

1. After riding as you are pulling into your driveway, or to speed things up you can do this a block from your house, turn off the gas.
2. Let the bike run until it actually dies from gas starvation, (this may take 2-5 minutes) But that's ok it will give you time to put away your gear.
3. Park it and now you're ready for the next time you ride whether that be in a day, or a month.

Start up procedure.

1. Turn on the gas
2. Wait for 10 seconds
3. Start the bike as you always do

Now I know some of you are asking why not just drain the bowl and then you can start the bike. Well there are two reasons. It it harder to drain the bowl by hand than to let the bike do this as it runs out of gas, and by running the gas out using the motor, it assures that all of the small areas that would otherwise still have this junk they call fuel will be empty, ready for fresh, (fresher) gas to get in and do its job. Now all of that being said, I came up to work yesterday to let my son ride the moped up on the lawn and I cranked on the bike for a few minutes, and then I thought I wonder if I can drain the bowl and do the "after thought" procedure to get this thing going? Well I drained the bowl, turned the gas back on and two kicks and it was running. Keep in mind that the moped is a two stroke, and it has been sitting up at work in a mechanical room for about 2 months. So either way, whether running the gas out using the motor so you are ready to go next time (which I think is faster and more efficient) or you drain the bowl using the screw at the bottom of the carb, the results are the same, you get your bike started.

And I even guess some people would say that this is a hassle, but I gotta tell you that cranking on a bike for 5 minutes off and on only to run the battery down and still have not started the bike is way more of a hassle than a little time taken to get ready for the next ride. This last summer I rode my bike everyday for about 3 months, and it always started right up, but there are a couple of reasons. one it was warmer out, cold weather affects fuels in a negative way, and more importantly by riding the bike everyday I had gas in the bowl that didn't have enough time to "change". Next summer I will probably go back to leaving the gas on and not draining the bowl. but on the wife's bike the procedure will always be to run it out of gas since she doesn't ride as often as I do.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Hmm..I did a mild rejet on mine to accomdate my drilled muffler no air lid mod..Starts great EVERYTIME.....

Old 05-23-2008, 05:53 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yea mine starts great everyday, but if the bike sits for 3-5 days its almost impossible to get started. I have the Muzzy, 132 and 40 jets and no air box lid. But gas changes in the bowl.....it just does. If your gonna leave the bike for a week, a month or whatever, run that gas out.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll try running it dry. I do shut off the fuel, but don't run it dry. Just shutting it off worked on my XT,which BTW was a 2003, seeing yours in that thread made me wish I could have kept it as well.
I also use fuel stabilizer any time the bike isn't going to be run in a week, which is real important with the ethanol mixed crap out there these days.