Noob wants a Butt Plug

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Noob wants a Butt Plug

Hi, I'm Guido and I live in Utah. I have a 2007 KLX250 that I'm trying to coax more oomph out of and I'm messing with the exhaust. I bought a KLX300 muffler off Ebay (and paid too much for it, a noob mistake - perhaps we can say, "A Noob and his money are soon parted") and a FSW header. I figured that's a good start. Thing is the muffler came without what I think is the bolt-on "Butt Plug" and the setup is freekin' loud! I don't want to drive it this way. I suspect that with the butt plug in place it will be quieter, at least some. I want to stay with the 300 muffler (for now) so here's my question: Does anyone have a KLX300 butt plug they could part with? Send me a PM if you'd like.

Good forum BTW. I check in daily.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:01 PM
1st Gear Member

you would be better to cut the old 250s muffler out drill a couple holes; the stock 250 hole(pipe) is bigger then the 300's. I welded a new end pipe in my 300 "plate".

plugging the end of the muffler for sound is completly A$$ backwards for a header set-up........ you might as well put the stock stuff back on it flows more then the stock 300 W/the end on; almost everyone removes it. its only about 1/2" in DIA and really chokes the flow.

If you find one have a 1" pipe cut and welded in- its a little more quite but, at least will flow. I've heard if you want good flow and quite the Q4 is the way to go but it is $$$$.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Wedge. Thing is I want to keep the 250 muffler stock so I can put it back on if I sell the bike. And I thought that the 300 muffler flowed more than the 250 even with the butt plug in place - live and learn eh?. And yeah, I've looked at the Q4 and yeah, I don't want to spend the dough, right now. I'm looking for creative, cheap, bolt-on ('cause I don't weld - but I should learn) ways to quiet the 300 muffler down and preserve flow. It could end up being that since I'm no racer I'll just stay with the stock system. The thing is I'd like to be able to lift the front wheel in first on throttle alone without having to go through all sorts of bodily gyrations. I've done the other free mods so now I'm focusing on the exhaust. More power without making a racket - that's what I want. Is this realistic without going the big bore route?

Old 04-11-2009, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Your title sounds like a personal problem that I am not sure anyone on this forum will be able to help you with!

Just kidding

Welcome to the forum..

Old 04-11-2009, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member

You could use part of a stainless steel bathroom towel rack. Look for one with the mounting flange that is similar diameter to the end of the 300 muffler. Cut it after the bend, drill two holes for mounting it and PRESTO, you have a turn down exhaust tip.
Redirecting the exhaust towards the ground will keep it quieter.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 04-11-2009, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buffalony
Your title sounds like a personal problem that I am not sure anyone on this forum will be able to help you with!
I know.. I mean, we all refer to it as that in passing, and god knows I'm no pure white alter boy... but to title a thread like that...seemed a bit obscene to be honest with you. Not like its a big deal or anything, but I don't think even I woulda went that far, and I'm always one to joke about. I'm honestly surprised the mods let it like that. Not like were small children or anything but the title just smacks you right in the face "Noob Wants A Buttplug". I thought, "..uhhhhhhh....right"

Anyway there guy....the 300 exhaust is not loud by any means, its just the 250 exhaust is extremely quiet. Loud is an aftermarket pipe. And I'm pretty finicky about sound levels and even I allow the sound levels of that exhaust into my realm. Granted I'm not wide open in town mind you...but half throttle or less in a populated area is more than acceptable. Just get use to it for a bit. I think you'll be happy.

I personally have the 250 D tracker exhaust. I don't know if its the same as the 300.. I assume it is, or at least damn close...and it DOES flow more. The pipe going into the can is much larger, and the can itself is much lighter. I assume that to mean alot less stuff inside to slow down flow. Plus...no end cap (butt plug, as its so eloquently put)

I have two home made end caps. One is pure home made to keep the flow the same, just a better look than an open hole. And the other is the end cap off of a stock banshee exhaust with a new hole drilled in it to mount on. It has a turn down pipe at the end. Its approx 7/8"s or so... I didn't measure it but thats just a guess. Not as large as it is with nothing, and much larger than stock, put it that way.

Last edited by JasonFMX; 04-11-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry if my choice of titles caused offense. I like to have fun with words and am kinda fond of the double entendre. Given that the first thread that a person sees on this forum is KLX HOTD, and a quick review in there reveals (it certainly does) mostly images lifted from soft core **** sites, I don't think I'm dealing with an audience of choir boys. The thing I'm looking for, or was looking for (could be it's not the best option), is commonly referred to on this and other forums as the "Butt Plug". I didn't make up the phrase. I am (was) however looking for one. Thus the title, simply put. I'm looking for a cheap butt plug.

Anyway, it looks like some sort of turned down tip is the next step, that unless I can find a "terminal sound attenuation insert", aka buttplug, for cheap.

Last edited by Guido; 04-11-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Didn't say it offended me...just said it wasn't something I would of used. But since you retorted... Just because you saw others using the term doesn't mean you have to. You know "butt plug" can't be it's real name. Best I know its called an end cap of some sort. Far as I know that started on that klxtips.org or whatever it was. Dude tries to start a nice site with good professional styled references and tips and actually uses the word "butt plug". Just something I wouldn't have done and seems a little juvenile. Like some people can't realize when its time to goof off in private with a bunch of guys whilst drinking beer and when to present yourself in public so others can take you seriously. Oh well,...guess thats what separates folks I guess. Like I said, not a big deal. Just an observational comment.

Back to the subject at hand. I'll see if I can snap a picture of my banshee cap...you can snag those up pretty easy.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Lighten up, Francis.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the original D-Tracker exhaust that was on my bike. Flow is good, and not too loud. Will let it go for $70 plus shipping. This is the whole exhaust, should be a direct bolt on. PM is interested in pics.

Quick Reply: Noob wants a Butt Plug