Non-running KLX

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 02:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Non-running KLX

Rode my KLX into work this AM like any other day. Wednesday is my favorite day because I take the bike out at lunch for a thorough 2 hour thrashing - keep a set of riding gear at the office for the occasion.

Almost into town, the bike started running rough - surging. Then it just stalled completely.

I stopped at the side of the road and it started right up. But, as soon as I give it any gas at all it stalls out again. Starts and idles just fine every time. I was even able to leave it in idle and put it in first to walk it up the hill to a friends house where I could leave it and not worry about being towed, ripped off, etc.

My first thought was a bad gas tank vent so I opened the cap, started it up and same result. I wondered if it was something to do with the new Vortex throttle I installed yesterday but it stalls even when I open the throttle by hand at the carb. Doesn't matter how slow I move the throttle - get a few RPMs above idle and down it goes.

Still at my friends house but I'll get it home at lunchtime. It's clearly not the clutch or sidestand cutout switches because I was able to walk it in 1st at idle RPM.

My 1st thought is carb. Maybe a torn diaphragm or a needle issue. I first thought maybe my mixture screw dropped out but I don't think it would even idle without it. Does the collar ever come off that N1TC needle? Didn't seem like even a good friction fit when I put it on.

Don't think it's electrical for the same reason - wouldn't start at all.

Any other ideas for this evening when I start the teardown? I plan to start with the easy stuff - tank off, pull the top of the carb before thinking about pulling that shecat of a carb.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by djchan; 07-11-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I had the needle drop out of slide a few years back. Same symptoms.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Ill give you 100$ for it as is. lol

maybe dirt in the jets.... fuel issue.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like fuel/carb. I'd be looking there first. Drain the fuel and replace it with fresh, then clean the carb thoroughly - including jets (using a fine wire).

Old 07-11-2012, 06:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help guys.

!st part of the mystery is solved. When I opened the top of the carb the slide was in the up position. I was sure I was going to find a torn diaphragm but it's fine. Needle, collar and clip where just fine as well. So, I cleaned the slide put everything back in and the top on the carb and checked it with the gas remaining in the bowl of the carb. Checked out A-OK.

Put the bike back together and it still runs fine.

I actually rode it into work this afternoon. Never thought it would be that easy a fix.

Now, the 2nd part of the mystery. Why'd it happen?

My slide hole is drilled AND I shortened the spring, AND I was whacking the crap out of it this morning trying to pull off a 2nd gear power wheelie. Thought maybe the new Vortex throttle would put it over the top. Not quite. I can definitely flip it a little higher with the vortex but not to balance point with just the free/cheap mods. I have a KLX300 exhaust coming tomorrow. Maybe the extra HP or 2 will put it over the top.

Anyone else had their slide stick in the up position? Should I go back to the stock spring length?

Old 07-11-2012, 08:23 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

dj, I'm wondering about shortening your slide spring AND drilling the slide. Usually the only recommendation is to do one or the other. It might allow a tiny bit of "stiction" in the slide and carb body to let the slide stick. Just speculating.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks TNC. That's why I asked. I was kinda thinking the same thing. I remember being torn over whether to cut AND drill. Couldn't really think of a downside at the time so I did both. I already ordered a stock spring today. It's a cheap way to find out if the shorter spring really made a difference or not.

I was also wondering if the power of the Vortex may have launched the slide into a place where it's never been (so not worn in so to speak).

Old 07-11-2012, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by djchan

I was also wondering if the power of the Vortex may have launched the slide into a place where it's never been (so not worn in so to speak).
I doubt it, the throttle only controls the butterfly on the carb and engine vacuum would still be the determining factor on how high the slide lifts.