No New 2011 KLX250's, only 2011 KLR

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 02:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Feral Donkey
Well, seriously, guys. What the hell do you think was going to happen? The dealers still have new '09s they can't get rid of. I got mine for $3600. Out of the box the bike is funny looking moped that doesn't start when it's colder than 60 degrees outside. All this bull**** how you have to lay the bike on its side to get it to start, bla, bla,bla... To a regular person who wants a motorcycle they put the key in and ride, it's not going to work very well. Us guys who turn wrenches know it's a good platform to start with and, with another $500+ worth of stuff, we can turn it into what we want.

The new KLX250s has a really bad reputation as being a gutless starter bike. The magazines say what they're paid to say but word of mouth is a different story and sales reflect that. The fact that the economy is bad may be helping sales because not everyone can afford a WR250.
I think you may be on to something here. The KLX does have a reputation for being a 'dog' out of the box. Even with the '06 - '07 models. With the '09 - '10's, the bike went in more of a street friendly direction with the motard version, the reduced rear wheel travel and the more dual sport look rather than an un-civilized straight up dirt bike appeal of the '06 - '07 models. Maybe I'm projecting here but I don't think riders buy a 250 class dual-sport for mostly street use unless they're as deranged as I am.

M

Old 10-07-2010, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

KLX is such a pile i hate it. Stupd card is worthless. no power and horrible design makes me want to spend 3X a much on a orange bike with horrible electrical system.

KLX can go die in a fire stupide reliable egine with big bore kits availible and after-market carb options.

KLX is stupid and FTL.

I'm gonna spend 4X the money next time and get some real ****.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Klx and the klr650's are the Rodney Dangerfeild of bikes, LOL> I own both. Not too many people "get" what they are, just what they aren't.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RimBender
Klx and the klr650's are the Rodney Dangerfeild of bikes, LOL> I own both. Not too many people "get" what they are, just what they aren't.
Get no respect cause they are stoopid poopy heads and no power.

bike is poop. gonna just put dirt bike tires on my 6R.

poopy bike is poopy.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:00 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
Get no respect cause they are stoopid poopy heads and no power.

bike is poop. gonna just put dirt bike tires on my 6R.

poopy bike is poopy.

Did we have a bad day today wildcard? lol
I played with the KLR and the KDX stuff but not the KLX. (but not enough to give an opinion.)

Old 10-07-2010, 11:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't get what you mean by poopy. Its a nice little bike for a really good price. Perhaps some one poopey in your oatmeal today?

Mine goes at least 85 mph and gets 63 mpg. I have the SF version. Its a great commuter and pure fun to drive.

Last night I re worked the carb and now it has more power especially in the low end and mid range. Probably does not meet emissions .

NOPE it does not have the 90 horse power or the ride of my BMW 1100 that weighs twice + my KLX.

SO why did you buy yours?

I bought mine used with just 2,000 miles on it. The dealer still has a new 09 sitting on the floor. I saved quite a bit by getting the used one.

David

Edit: I forgot. Mine starts every time. No drilling no leaning,no draining, Just pull the choke out, hit the button and maybe turn the throttle. That is it every time. It was 42*f this morning.
AND it burns cheap 87 octane pump gas.

Last edited by David R; 10-07-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:00 PM
1st Gear Member

The field of choices of a solid, reliable, low service, 250 DS bike that has any real potential is what?...the Kawasaki and the Yamaha? I don't want a race bike with a license plate. And on the other side of the coin, I don't want a Honda 230L, the ancient air-cooled 250 Yamaha, or the dismal KLR250. The KLX is the foundation of a very, very good dirt bike that is totally street legal and really capable of being an all-around bike. If you haven't already sold your worthless POS, please do so and be happy with something else.

Oh, and on the starting issue which really seems to be at the heart of your complaints, for gosh sakes drill out the starter jet and be done with that issue. The drill size is .018".

You also forgot to mention the DR200. I'm not complaining at all. I love my bike. I knew what I was getting myself into. I knew it was going to need work. Most people don't have a clue of that.

I'm looking at the reality of the situation here. See, the fact that you need to drill out your starter jet with a .018 drill is the point I'm making. A lot of people out there don't hang out on internet forums where they learn about these things. And a lot of people don't know what to do with a drill. Also, why the hell should I have to drill holes in my new $5,200 bike to make the damn thing run. A lot of people buy a bike and expect it to run when you turn the key and hit the little button. That's how the Japanese dominated the motorcycle market in the first place. Now if they would come up with a CA model and a 49 states model, they may have actually sold them all.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:28 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Feral Donkey
You also forgot to mention the DR200. I'm not complaining at all. I love my bike. I knew what I was getting myself into. I knew it was going to need work. Most people don't have a clue of that.

I'm looking at the reality of the situation here. See, the fact that you need to drill out your starter jet with a .018 drill is the point I'm making. A lot of people out there don't hang out on internet forums where they learn about these things. And a lot of people don't know what to do with a drill. Also, why the hell should I have to drill holes in my new $5,200 bike to make the damn thing run. A lot of people buy a bike and expect it to run when you turn the key and hit the little button. That's how the Japanese dominated the motorcycle market in the first place. Now if they would come up with a CA model and a 49 states model, they may have actually sold them all.
Feral, I don't think I've ever owned a motorcycle since 1970 that didn't have something that needed tweaking, tuning, changing, or modifying, and that ranges from expensive dirt bikes to big expensive tourers from Husquvarna to Honda.

David R, the cold starting issue isn't evident on every single KLX250. The starter jet is on the small side, and it occasionally manifests itself with probably other issues in a given bike to cause hard cold starting. It's just that a simple drilling of the starter jet fixes the problem in those bikes that have that issue.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow lot of hatin on the KLX in this thread. I mean that's ok, but for the majority of us who ride this bike everyday with the few mods we did early on, it's FRIGGIN AWESOME!!! And as far as the hard starting of the bike, how hard is is to remember to shut off the gas and run a little out? Yes we have been over this a million times and yes we shouldn't have to do that. But you know what like is full of "we shouldn't have to's" but we adapt and accept and move on. I will never, I repeat never complain about the KLX, and furthermore I will never sell it. The history with me and this bike is way to strong to ever part with it. Oh and this forum is good too.. LOL

Like has been mentioned in the past, if you were accustomed to a lot of power...ie: a two stroke or a 450 trail bike, then yes the KLX will be less power, HELLO!!!! That's the facts. But if you are like me and a few hundred other guys on this and other sites that bought the bike to get back into riding and exploring like you did when you were a kid then the KLX in my opinion is the perfect combination of a great all around bike. Finally if anyone hates something and complains about it, then how about getting rid of the bike and getting something that you like, I mean who wants to be that unhappy with something you spent so much money on? I mean really?

Old 10-07-2010, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Member

He's (Feral) right, and the problem is not just Kawasaki. All the manufacturers are selling some pretty lame dual sport, and trail bikes at full price, and the KLX is one of the better ones.

It astounds me that they've been able to get away with it for so long. This is why I like the Chinese bikes so much. It's only a matter of time before the Japanese have real competition, and they'll be forced to step it up.

Quick Reply: No New 2011 KLX250's, only 2011 KLR