NGK IX Iridium Spark Plug review

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 01:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Just replaced my OEM plug with the CR8EIX. Damn! is all I can say. Feels like an extra 3 HP were cut loose.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I called a dealer that had all kinds of plugs to sell me and asked what they recommend for the KLX 250 and the person I spoke with said NGK Iridium was hands down the best plug. They said they run it in all of their vehicles incuding cars, boats etc.

They did recommend going with a CR9EIX (next hotter range) instead of the CR8EIX, especially with a rejet and breathing mods.

Can't wait.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

you should run only the plug that kawi recommends. it's not like you changed cams or anything. running a hotter plug could quite possibly make it run worse.
I also changed to the iridium plug last summer. And, after reading all of the stories here, all I can say is it ran the same. I didn't notice any performance enhancements or even easier starting. It was never hard to start to begin with. I think a lot of the opinions here are probably a placebo effect. The factory NGK is a darn good plug to begin with. The iridium is mostly like the splitfire claims, just a marketing device. Nonetheless, autozone is the place to buy them- $6 and change.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't go as far as calling them a split fire plug but in my nitrous car motor i can't run them they melt the electrode I run the ngk plug but real cold, but this from a huge hit of spray.
I run nitrous in jet sizes not hp gains but its well in excess of 350 hp. Do they work maybe not in a low hp motor like this but they might. In the same car motor Big block chevy 572 They do pick up on the dyno N/A but I can't run spray on them.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
you should run only the plug that kawi recommends. .

It was a Kawasaki dealer that recomended the hotter plug. The person I spoke with said their 2006 Kawasaki KLX 250 shop service manual showed 2 plugs for this bike. I thought that constituted Kawasakis recommendation.

They offered either but said the hotter plug would be best if I planed to do any carb mods, rejetting or exhaust modifacations. Since I already have and the hotter plug was recommended by the largest Kawi dealer in Tennessee after consulting their service manual for the specific year of this specific bike, I'll trust going up one heat range is no great risk.

Last edited by horizonod; 01-02-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by horizonod
It was a Kawasaki dealer that recomended the hotter plug. The person I spoke with said their 2006 Kawasaki KLX 250 shop service manual showed 2 plugs for this bike. I thought that constituted Kawasakis recommendation.

They offered either but said the hotter plug would be best if I planed to do any carb mods, rejetting or exhaust modifacations. Since I already have and the hotter plug was recommended by the largest Kawi dealer in Tennessee after consulting their service manual for the specific year of this specific bike, I'll trust going up one heat range is no great risk.
your first mistake is listening to your dealer. second mistake is not abiding by what Kawi lists in the owners manual. that's the manual that counts. nah, it won't blow your engine but I'd bet the recommended plug woud make it run better. dealer's don't know jack- and if you don't know that, neither do you.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm sure you're correct. I should have contacted you instead of a Kawasaki dealer who only has refferance to Kawasaki factory service manuals and experience with THOUSANDS of bikes. Why don't you post your phone number so we ingorant morons can call you before we make the mistake of listening to a Kawasaki dealer. So they can be better informed I'll give the dealers your number too.

Oh,....wait. I think everybody already has your number.

Last edited by horizonod; 01-02-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
your first mistake is listening to your dealer. second mistake is not abiding by what Kawi lists in the owners manual. that's the manual that counts. nah, it won't blow your engine but I'd bet the recommended plug woud make it run better. dealer's don't know jack- and if you don't know that, neither do you.

omg let it go lol Happy new years guys

no wait I wanna say it...

dude ,,, now how do you know that they dont know jack, do you live there, is that your dealer, No it isnt. I went to school with some of the technicians at my dealer I use, and everyone of them guys knows what they be talking about.. You just hate being proved wrong, just deal with it and quit talkin like your the only one that knows these things, if your right your right, if your wrong your wrong, I know your trying to help but you do it all in the wrong way. quit being an ***. Happy New Years

Old 01-03-2009, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Listed spark plugs IN THE SERVICE MANUAL for our bike are as follows.

NGK CR7E, CR8E and CR9E.

Talking out your azz while saying somebody else 'doesn't know jack' isn't very good headwork.

How about at least going out and buying a service manual. That way you won't have to pretend to know what's in it.

There are both good and bad dealers. Looks like this dealer was right in this case, eh?

Old 01-03-2009, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

My mama told me "if you can't say something nice (or nicely) don't say anything at all".

Good advice.

Quick Reply: NGK IX Iridium Spark Plug review