NGK Iridium Plug

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default NGK Iridium Plug

So remembering a thread hyping this plug up, I installed one in my '06. The result is not what I was expecting. The decel popping got less, the gas mileage went from mid 50s to low 60s, the top speed and highway power seem to have gone up but the low end torque totally died along with the engine's willingness to rev. Even with my mods, I cannot loft the front wheel anymore without using the clutch no matter what I do. I have had the plug for 1000 miles now so this is not just an initial placebo effect but a documented fact. Any thoughts????

Old 07-31-2008, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I dunno... You're sure there are no other factors at play?
Riding style? Weather? Tire pressure? Fuel octane and freshness?
I've been running that plug for a while, no complaints here.
But I have the 331kk kit and a TM36-68 pumper as well. :-)

Old 07-31-2008, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Ngk

Originally Posted by FM_Thumper
So remembering a thread hyping this plug up, I installed one in my '06. The result is not what I was expecting. The decel popping got less, the gas mileage went from mid 50s to low 60s, the top speed and highway power seem to have gone up but the low end torque totally died along with the engine's willingness to rev. Even with my mods, I cannot loft the front wheel anymore without using the clutch no matter what I do. I have had the plug for 1000 miles now so this is not just an initial placebo effect but a documented fact. Any thoughts????
Did you revert back to a stock plug and see if it changed back? I put one in too, but did several mods at once, so cannot point to this. but I cannot rev the front tire up either. Don't really care to much about that though. Just like the fact it starts up cold better.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

It made a world of difference in my bike too - CRAZY!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:21 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kawi Wawi
I dunno... You're sure there are no other factors at play?
Riding style? Weather? Tire pressure? Fuel octane and freshness?
I've been running that plug for a while, no complaints here.
But I have the 331kk kit and a TM36-68 pumper as well. :-)
All the mods listed on my auto sigs were done already. The gas mileage is now almost as good as it was before the mods. The bike feels like it has more power on the highway but the lack of low end snap is very noticeable.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:23 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rbarchi
Did you revert back to a stock plug and see if it changed back? I put one in too, but did several mods at once, so cannot point to this. but I cannot rev the front tire up either. Don't really care to much about that though. Just like the fact it starts up cold better.
The way I have the bike set up, it always started instantaneously and can be ridden off imediately with no hiccups or hesitation and idled perfectly hot or cold. I don't know if the plug made any difference in that department.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I like the sound of this plug... Except for the fact it seems people are reporting loosing power in the bottom end.. Something this bike can't really afford. Unless you're going for pure fuel mileage, and long distance driving.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by green242
I like the sound of this plug... Except for the fact it seems people are reporting loosing power in the bottom end.. Something this bike can't really afford. Unless you're going for pure fuel mileage, and long distance driving.
Err, as far as I can see, only one person has reported a loss of bottom end.

I installed the IridiumIX a couple of weeks ago and truthfully cannot say I've noticed any major changes in power or torque. I haven't calculated gas mileage yet though.

When you pay about 3X the price of the stock plug, I think it's only natural to get an overactive imagination about perceived results.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Tremor, you're taking all the fun out of it! I bet your parents told you at a very early age there was no Santa Claus

Old 08-01-2008, 01:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Once the mixture is lit, its lit.

Quick Reply: NGK Iridium Plug