Newbie W/ Questions...help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I am similar height and weight. The weight makes the bike a little lower.
You should have no problems.

Originally Posted by Bulldawg
Ok, so a quick intro, I'm a 35 yr old guy who loves motorcycles, but have always leaned towards and owned cruisers. I currently ride a 2010 Harley Street Glide and absolutely love that machine.

However, loving the outdoors, camping, and just getting out in the woods to play, I am longing for a play machine. I did not grow up with dirt bikes, and have only been on a couple in my life, during my college years.

I am very interested in the dual sport world, just think that would be a perfect play bike, could use it for my 5-10 minute commute to work, and then go play on the weekends.

At first i was looking at the KLR650, but it is such a BIG bike for the task, and I have a strong street bike obviously. SO I have really taken an interest in the KLX250, light-wieght, seems pretty capable, etc.

My concern are my stats, so i want you guys to be honest and tell me your thoughts. I am about 5'10-5'11", so height is a challenge, in other words much above the 250's in the KLX style and I am getting a little too tiptoed for street use. Next, I currently weigh in around 250, not a big ole fat guy, although I could stand to lose 20-30 lbs of extra weight, and I am working on it as we speak. i am just a big stocky guy, a lot of gym time over the years. Point is, weight is weight, and i am carrying quite a it of it, so i am not the typical 5'10" 165lb demo that this bike was built for.

My concern, and being a big motor harley guy, I hear 250 and it worries me to death. i just think of a bike this size dragging under me. Of course my harley also weighs about 5 times as much.

Will I be happy with a 09 KLX250? Or will it be an ***-dragger? Again, I am not trying to go out and be a dare-devil, but i would like some spunk, and something that can be fun on the trail.

I look forward to your thoughts!

Old 03-02-2011, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I just bought my new 09 last Saturday from Sports Cycles in Rockingham, NC.
$3,498 OTD.
Check e-bay, they have another one for the same price.
I sold my 2007 KLR650 for $3,500 and used the money to buy the KLX250s.
Since you already have a road bike, I would not buy the KLR650. Off road it is not fun, it's work!
For 3 years I have tried to be a "one bike man", and use the KLR for everything.
But I got tired of owning the bike that does everything, but does nothing well.
Now I will be using the KLX250 for off road and an everyday runabout, and getting a criuser for longer highway trips.
Craig

Old 03-03-2011, 12:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm 5'7'' and ride the bike stock height with no problems at all. I also carry some extra weight from the winter and my lightly modded 250 is just fine. I actually sold a Harley to make room for this bike and have no regrets.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jxg
i personally don't think you need to lower it. I am 5' 9" when using a generous tape measure, and never feel that it should be lowered, especially on the trails...

and i think you should be able to find an '09 much cheaper than that. I may be putting mine on here really soon for $1000 less than what you are getting a new one for....
+1 I am 5'9" too and was gonna post the same thing. As for weight, I am 185 and have packed about 50 pounds of gear in saddle bags, on the rear rack of my '09, I notice it but it still gets down the road. I have not done any engine mods except a Uni air filter which does matter much. One day I will but I can liev with it stock.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:49 AM

I just sold my DL650 to buy the KLX250. DL was too tall and I didn't want to put a lowering kit on it and screw-up the ergonomics. KLX is also tall but I had an upholsterer shave about two inches off the seat, install some different padding and have gone from tip toes to a comfortable ball-of-the-foot stance.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:01 AM

Hey I am new to this site. I am looking for dual sport rides in the Western Pa area. I see you are from Pittsburg too. I ride a 2006 KLX 250. I have about 30 years of dirt and mx riding under my belt but just got into a dual sport last year. Any help?

Old 02-11-2013, 06:37 AM
1st Gear Member

My father in law has a KLX, is probably 5'8" tops and MAYBE 190lb. He uses the KLX for play and rides his Bonneville T100 on the street. The height is no problem for him and is listed as exactly the same as the KLR (just a ton lighter of course). I think the KLX is a better dirt bike than the KLR but the KLR is better for long hauling and street work. Since you already have a Hog for the latter the KLX is a good choice.