Newbie W/ Questions...help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Get one used a little......

I would look around and NOT buy new; your going to be in the trails? then soon or later you are going to have to pick it up....... its also going to get scratched, and a little banged up once in a while......unless you ride like gramps, who will go nameless

you can get 06 or 07's for really good prices, there are a lot of guys/girls out there that expect lots-o-power and looking to get rid of them, plus all the folks that buy but end up not riding.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:44 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Bull, yep if you're close or in the western NC area you have some good riding. I have a friend in the Hendersonville area, and he has a KLR650 and a KLX250S. He has veered more toward the KLX250 for many of his forest trail and road rides over the last year or so. I had 4 KLR600/650's over the years and have ridden them all over the western U.S. for many years in all types of off road conditions. The KLR just got too big, and my KLX with a 300cc jug has been just about perfect. I haul the KLX on a small motorcycle trailer to areas all over the west to camp and ride for weeks at a time. I don't think it's that great a bike to actually camp off of, but people are able to do it. It's also competent enough to ride at our local dirt bike ranch which is a really rough singletrack location. IMO the KLX only starts to become a pain if you have to do a good deal of pavement...maybe anything exceeding 50 miles at a whack...though even about 20 miles of interstate-style highway pretty well sucks IMO. Up in the mountains or other scenic areas are not that bad for decent pavement stretches.

Even for a newbie to a dual sport bike, I think the KLX250 is horribly anemic and not at all satisfying. Personally I think it's almost a requirement to do a Dynojet kit, airbox mod, and an aftermarket exhaust. This really gives the bike more snap and a lot better top end performance. A fairly dramatic change. After those basic mods and after you get some riding in on the bike, you'll know if and when a big bore kit is warranted for your preference.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Like I said in previous post, do **NOT** buy new, unless you like wasting a couple grand.

Someone here picked up an 09 with a few hundred miles for under $3k.

It's jsut not worth it.

Another buddy of mine last year financed a new 09, he still owes over $5k on it!!! Crazy.

Do not finance a dirt bike. It's just not smart. Save a little cash and buy a good used one for the best deal. I bought mine with 250 miles on it a few years ago and couldn't be happier.

Do the right thing! hahah

Old 03-02-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
Like I said in previous post, do **NOT** buy new, unless you like wasting a couple grand.

Do the right thing! hahah
Ok, with all that said then, what are the opinions on this bike?

I spoke with the guy yesterday and he will let it go for $2600 (maybe even $2500).

It is bone stock, he owned it for the first 400 miles, sold it to a doctor who put another 600 on it, and that is it. He said it is a bit temperamental and doesn't like cold weather or sitting too long. But that is probably the same with a new one as well, right?

I know there were A LOT of changes to these bikes in 08/09, so should i steer clear of this model year and try to find newer? Again, your opinions help big time! And again, this will be mostly a big toy!

Old 03-02-2011, 05:33 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bulldawg
Ok, with all that said then, what are the opinions on this bike?

I spoke with the guy yesterday and he will let it go for $2600 (maybe even $2500).

It is bone stock, he owned it for the first 400 miles, sold it to a doctor who put another 600 on it, and that is it. He said it is a bit temperamental and doesn't like cold weather or sitting too long. But that is probably the same with a new one as well, right?

I know there were A LOT of changes to these bikes in 08/09, so should i steer clear of this model year and try to find newer? Again, your opinions help big time! And again, this will be mostly a big toy!
I don't think there is anything wrong with the '09 model at all. I personally like the '06/'07 models for their slightly longer travel and a little more dirt-worthiness, but the '09 isn't changed drastically even though it looks like it. There was no '08 model. The '09 and all later models...apparently only a '10...are the same bike.

The cold start issue is a known problem and easily fixed by drilling out the starter jet to .018" when you're in the carb doing the Dynojet kit. No big deal.

While you might get lucky and find that low a mileage '09 for less, it maybe hard to do. With gas prices going up again, these bikes will hold their value IMO. Sounds like the one you're looking at had an easy, low mileage life. I'd say get it.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:11 PM

Realized I didnt link earlier to the bike:

here it is....and please dont go buying it out from under me guys!! haha...

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcd/2225476100.html

Sounds like it might be a good deal at $2600 I guess.

I will probably need a lot of pointers when it comes to rejetting, drilling out needles, etc. Although I have mechanical experience, I have none in that realm!

Originally Posted by TNC
I don't think there is anything wrong with the '09 model at all. I personally like the '06/'07 models for their slightly longer travel and a little more dirt-worthiness, but the '09 isn't changed drastically even though it looks like it. There was no '08 model. The '09 and all later models...apparently only a '10...are the same bike.

The cold start issue is a known problem and easily fixed by drilling out the starter jet to .018" when you're in the carb doing the Dynojet kit. No big deal.

While you might get lucky and find that low a mileage '09 for less, it maybe hard to do. With gas prices going up again, these bikes will hold their value IMO. Sounds like the one you're looking at had an easy, low mileage life. I'd say get it.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:43 PM
jxg
1st Gear Member

i personally don't think you need to lower it. I am 5' 9" when using a generous tape measure, and never feel that it should be lowered, especially on the trails...

and i think you should be able to find an '09 much cheaper than that. I may be putting mine on here really soon for $1000 less than what you are getting a new one for....

Last edited by jxg; 03-02-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

FWIW - I am a big believer on the 06/07's off-road superiority to the 09 models. I have an 07, my buddy has an 09. We both beat on them pretty good.

My 07 is on stock fork seals and rear shock seal. My buddy with the 09 has been to the dealer five times, twice on each fork seal, and once on the rear suspension leaking. They threatened to not work on the bike again if he comes back for same problem. Told him to stay on-road!!! Yah right!

Anyways, it seems the 06/07's suspension is a bit stronger and better. Could just be a fluke, but enough to give me an opinion.

PS - that 06 you posted from CL seems like good deal, if you could knock a few more hundred off it'd be great.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I own a Harley Nightster 1200 and love it, but I find myself on the KLX250s ALOT more, just just do much fun to ride, so nimble, so light.
Its not horridly underpowered stock, but it definaltely needs a pipe, header, intake and rejet, it really wakes the bike up and makes it run much much better, even starts easier.
Now its a blast, not its not a wheelie machine, but its plenty fast enough to have fun, its nimbleness makes it really fun.
I have no problem riding around town, back roads, gravel, dirt, its just a perfect small light dual sport.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

That 06 is basically new at 1000k mi!! For $2500-$2600 that's the way I'd go. I ride my 07 to work almost everyday, when the weather permits. That's about a 15 min commute through town. I'm only 5'8". I cant flat foot both feet but you get used to it. I would try to get accustomed to the height before I try lowering it. The klx is underpowered, but everybody has told you that. After hearing all the comments on the power it might actually be better than you expect.
I ended up putting the 351 kit from bill blue on mine and I love it.
Dan

Quick Reply: Newbie W/ Questions...help please!