Newbie W/ Questions...help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Default Newbie W/ Questions...help please!

Ok, so a quick intro, I'm a 35 yr old guy who loves motorcycles, but have always leaned towards and owned cruisers. I currently ride a 2010 Harley Street Glide and absolutely love that machine.

However, loving the outdoors, camping, and just getting out in the woods to play, I am longing for a play machine. I did not grow up with dirt bikes, and have only been on a couple in my life, during my college years.

I am very interested in the dual sport world, just think that would be a perfect play bike, could use it for my 5-10 minute commute to work, and then go play on the weekends.

At first i was looking at the KLR650, but it is such a BIG bike for the task, and I have a strong street bike obviously. SO I have really taken an interest in the KLX250, light-wieght, seems pretty capable, etc.

My concern are my stats, so i want you guys to be honest and tell me your thoughts. I am about 5'10-5'11", so height is a challenge, in other words much above the 250's in the KLX style and I am getting a little too tiptoed for street use. Next, I currently weigh in around 250, not a big ole fat guy, although I could stand to lose 20-30 lbs of extra weight, and I am working on it as we speak. i am just a big stocky guy, a lot of gym time over the years. Point is, weight is weight, and i am carrying quite a it of it, so i am not the typical 5'10" 165lb demo that this bike was built for.

My concern, and being a big motor harley guy, I hear 250 and it worries me to death. i just think of a bike this size dragging under me. Of course my harley also weighs about 5 times as much.

Will I be happy with a 09 KLX250? Or will it be an ***-dragger? Again, I am not trying to go out and be a dare-devil, but i would like some spunk, and something that can be fun on the trail.

I look forward to your thoughts!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:14 PM
1st Gear Member

One of the better routes you could take if you got a klx would be to upgrade the cylinder to a 330, 340, or 351. I am currently installig my 340 and cannot wait to get on it and ride it everywhere!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member

One of the better routes you could take if you got a klx would be to upgrade the cylinder to a 330, 340, or 351. I am currently installig my 340 and cannot wait to get on it and ride it everywhere!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:29 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

The KLX would handle your small commute with ease, but what specifically does your "go play on the weekends" include? What kind of off road opportunities exist in your area? Are we talking trails or basically just dirt roads?

Old 03-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Im 6'1" 215 and the 250 hauls me around just fine... i would highly reccommened stiffer springs though. I would stick with the small cc until your comfortable and used to riding in the dirt. Then if your looking for more power bump it up, ill prob make mine the 350 next spring. i have had my klx since april of 06. Rejet it, new muffler, springs and you should be good to go.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

It might be a bit lacking, but the good news is upgrades are cheap 351cc kit is like $550 and by far the best bang for your buck mod I ever did.

I know the 250 will pull you, but depending on your skill you may be left wanting more.

As far as your height, they do sell lowering links for cheap so I wouldn't worry too much.. I had to put raising links and bar risers on mine - I'm about 6'1 or so and needed that to feel comfortable.

Good luck, you'll love it.. Oh, and be sure to buy one gently used.. Brand new is a bit of a rip off

Old 03-02-2011, 02:44 PM

We have all sorts of opportunites around the area. About 45 minutes away, on a secondary highway (55 mph) (I say that as i would like a machine I can ride there and then hit the trails) we have Uhwarrie Nat Park which is full of old fire roads, and trails of every level. Down south a bit there are two MX/atv "parks" private places with miles of multi-level trails, tracks, and dirt roads.

Wife and i hit the mountains quite a bit as well, Smikes or Western NC and there is a lot of opportunity.

Thing is, to be honest, I don't really know what route I want to go as far as trail riding, cause i just haven't ever had the chance to do it. I may stick more to pulling off the pavement into the woods on access roads etc to find a cool secluded camping spot. But hell, if I have the capability I may wind up hitting some good single track stuff.

I see vids of guys tearing it up on the KLR650's, but I also hear its a big and "heavy" bike for the task. I have deals worked up on both the KLX250 and the KLR650. KLX OTD for $4100 for a new 09, and the KLR650 OTD for $5100 for a new 09. I am just torn.....

Originally Posted by TNC
The KLX would handle your small commute with ease, but what specifically does your "go play on the weekends" include? What kind of off road opportunities exist in your area? Are we talking trails or basically just dirt roads?

Old 03-02-2011, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I sold my KLR650 and got a '09 KLX 250. I'm 5'11", 185 and am having a lot of fun with the lighter, more maneuverable KLX. I think if your just learning dirt the smaller one would be good for you. I have a road bike (FJR 1300), the KlR was good for me I put over 19,00 miles on in two years, but I couldn't pick it up when I crashed on dirt and sand ( back problem).

Old 03-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

just get both!!!!!
Name:  IMG_1592.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  251.7 KB

Old 03-02-2011, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

To be honest, you can't go wrong with either bike. I liked the KLX better just because it was lighter, smaller, more sporty, better looking, etc. I use mine for commuting during the week and then going out in the woods on the weekend. A KLR could do probably everything that I do on my KLX, but I have more fun on the KLX. One of my buddies I ride with has a KLR and the only difference is after a long day of riding, I feel fine and he is wore out. Plus, there is a KLR on every corner here, you never see a KLX so I like being different.

A KLR has a lot more aftermarket stuff available since it is the best selling dual sport. So if carrying stuff, luggage and having every single gadget available is important to you, a KLR is a better choice. Also, it is a much better highway bike, it can cruise at 70 mph all day long. A KLX can too but it is noisier, no wind protection, not as much torque. So keep this in mind when you pick. You said you would mostly drive at 55 which is probably where the KLX is the happiest.

Now, I am 6'-1" and weigh 240. The bike does just fine with me on it. It wasn't very fun at first when it was all stock, but after some mods, it came to life. Just figure in when you buy a KLX that you will need to spend an extra $1000. That is $500 for the must have performance mods ( air filter, muffler, carb kit ) and $500 for the suspension. At least that is what I did and the bike is just about perfect now. Just saving my pennies for the big bore but the bike almost doesn't need it.

So yes, the KLX could handle you just fine. Lowering links are available to knock it down a couple inches, aftermarket seats are available to take a couple more inches out. A weekend in the garage will give it a lot more power and make it fun.

My KLX is one of the funnest bikes I have ever ridden.

Quick Reply: Newbie W/ Questions...help please!