Newbie ready for some mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Newbie ready for some mods

Hello,
I have an 09 250s. I live at 6200' but ride at all elevations. The bike runs and starts great. I keep the battery on a tender and shut off the fuel and run it out of gas if I know it it will sit more than a couple days. Even when it is below freezing all I do is pull the choke and the bike fires right up. I can turn the choke off within ten seconds and it will idle usually perfectly. It does take a couple mins before its ready to ride but from what I've read, that's normal.
I am going to install a 13t front sprocket and would like to do some air box mods. I'm going to cutout the backfire screen and would like to install the kdx200 snorkel. I've searched but have not been able to find one. Any suggestions? Or is there another way to get it some mow air?
I think I would like to avoid messing with the carb just yet as the bike runs great. Unless someone can talk me into a simple yet substantial mod that won't compromise the reliability!
I would like to get just a little more power out of the bike but want to get some miles under my belt before I do something like exhaust or make it a 351 or both! Thanks in advance!

Old 04-01-2013, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member

3 of the most cost-effective investments you can make are:
- high quality riding gear
- advanced rider training
- getting your stock suspension properly dialed in (and paying a professional to do it if necessary)

I guarantee that these 'mods' together will make you faster than just about any aftermarket parts you can throw money at.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the reply. I do have good gear, and I have been riding all different types of bikes for 20 years, not to say some professional training wouldn't help, and I did have a friend help with suspension and feel like we got it pretty dialed in. I would like to chane the front springs sometime but can live with it for now. Just want a little more reliable power.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wsc7050
I have been riding all different types of bikes for 20 years... I think I would like to avoid messing with the carb... Just want a little more reliable power.
Sorry, your self description as a 'Newbie' fooled me into thinking you may not be an experienced rider. None-the-less, advanced courses are a great investment because they make you faster AND you get every penny back when you sell the bike!
I think you're going to be challenged to find many intake/exhaust mods that don't also require opening the carb up. A package consisting of a pipe, foam air filter, and jet kit is pretty standard and I think exactly what you are looking for...

Old 04-01-2013, 04:54 AM
1st Gear Member

If you open the air box you'll need to rejet.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:58 AM
1st Gear Member

If you open up the intake you should rejet, even at that altitude as intake mods will affect airflow more so than an exhaust will. If you have a newer bike most of the restriction in in the exhaust and just a slip- on yields decient gains.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks. My bike is an 09. So if I reject, where is a good place to start?

Old 04-01-2013, 12:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wsc7050
So if I reject, where is a good place to start?
'Reject'? I'll assume 'Rejet', correct?
Most jet manufacturers will supply optimized kits tailored to your specific application. You aren't really going to know "where is a good place to start" in terms of jet sizes & needle position however until you have decided on the mods you'd like to make..
The standard practice is to make your intake/exhaust mods first, then rejet as required to suit. Even then, you should be prepared for a bit of trial & error until you nail the optimum jetting.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:19 AM
1st Gear Member

If you call dynojet and explain your mods and elevation their reccomdations are close to spot on for their kits.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:22 AM
1st Gear Member

My fmf powercore 4 slip on instructions said no jetting necessary and I found that to be true. But any change to the air box like a bigger snorkle, no snorkle or lid, or performance element and I'd jet.

Quick Reply: Newbie ready for some mods