Newbie Question - 09 KLX 250S

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Newbie Question - 09 KLX 250S

Just purchased about a month ago, love it, and have taken it on and off road quite a bit. Have been riding Harley's and crocket rockets for years but thought I'd give the Enduro a try and have been happy.

Have enjoyed reading this forum, especially when it came to the oil change and spreading apart the spring to get it to stay in there!

Anyways, better to leave the bike alone or sup it up a little? I've put screamin' eagle kits, power commanders, pipes, etc. on other bikes and enjoyed it. Thinking about a slip on, but would that require a re-jet, and if so how much time/skill does that take?

Cheers,
Tom

Old 08-09-2010, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

re-jetting is very simple, if you aren't a clod with your hands. Just follow the directions, work in decent light, and don't lose any parts...

Old 08-10-2010, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

These bikes need rejetted even if you don't run a slip on. The carb is kind of tricky to get out, compared to most dirt bikes I've worked on, so leave yourself a full afternoon to get it done the first time.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I actually just did my carb kit this last weekend.

I was scared going in but it actually turned out to be pretty easy. Getting the carb out wasn't very hard at all. Actually installing the kit only took about 15 minutes. Getting the carb back in was the hardest part, but if you stay calm and aren't rushed, it wasn't too bad. Like others said, it took me an afternoon.

I am not a mechanic by any means and I had no problems jetting my carb. The exhaust ( I did a header and a muffler ) was not hard at all either.

Very easy bike to play with and wrench on.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:33 AM
1st Gear Member

you CAN "kit" a klx carb without removing the carb.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:33 AM
1st Gear Member

and how do you do that?

Old 08-10-2010, 12:04 PM
1st Gear Member

my klx was the first carb i ever worked on, and as everyone else mentioned... it's a real pain to get out, but it's an easy process. i have rejetted twice now, once when i got a slip-on, and again when i removed the slip-on.

what i can tell you from my experience: be ready to get some gasoline on you and other places you dont want it. triple check that the breather lines from the carb are correctly routed (one of mine got melted shut by the slip-on i installed at the same time). and as someone previously mentioned, have good lighting.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums. Enjoy the bike, there is nothing like riding trails, gravel roads and then coming out on a highway and riding that too!!! It's the best of both worlds. Good luck on the jetting, oh and of course Muzzy is the best pipe.......hehehehe

Old 08-10-2010, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RimBender
you CAN "kit" a klx carb without removing the carb.
Boy, I don't know about that. I have heard a couple of people say that so when I did my jet kit, I payed attention to see how much I could do without actually pulling the carb.

The jets are on the bottom of the carb along with the mixture screw. I don't know how you would get the cover off and change the jets, unless you had really tiny hands and tiny tools. Also, how would you get the mixture screw cover plate off? You can get to the needle and spring on top okay.

I think in the amount of time and headaches spent trying to do it on the bike, you could pull it out just as fast.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
, oh and of course Muzzy is the best pipe.......hehehehe
So... What is the best slip on? Two Brothers? the Q4? the Powercore? HMF? Muzzy? Or do they all perform similarly but sound different?

Quick Reply: Newbie Question - 09 KLX 250S