Newbie KLX250 from the UK

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Very strange to hear people get such different milage!
I usually go between 120 and 140 before fuel light turns on depending on how hard I ride. Most of the time its 130. I have stock exhaust and only KDX Snorkel + Twinair filter.

Even when it was completely stock there is no way I could get 170km I think. Wow. The best I had must be like 145.
Im confused, maybe its different quality of gasoline? Even when I give it full throttle constantly and do hooligan driving in the city with stop/go lights and such I get around 120 km before the light turns on. Riding on a highway with throttle consistently at around 7000 rpm I get really good milage, around 140 on a tank.

(I am in Denmark which is flat as a pancake btw)

Something is not making sense when Joel can punish his super modded big bore bike and do similar milage to Pinheads bike which hasnt got many mods at all.

Sorry for talking so much about fuel milage, but its something that concerns me a lot considering how the small tank of the bike is already annoying me and I like to do longer trips on small roads.

Last edited by Nikolaj Lykke; 08-06-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nikolaj Lykke
I usually go between 120 and 140 before fuel light turns on depending on how hard I ride. Most of the time its 130. I have stock exhaust and only KDX Snorkel + Twinair filter.

Even when it was completely stock there is no way I could get 170km I think. Wow. The best I had must be like 145.
Im confused, maybe its different quality of gasoline? Even when I give it full throttle constantly and do hooligan driving in the city with stop/go lights and such I get around 120 km before the light turns on. Riding on a highway with throttle consistently at around 7000 rpm I get really good milage, around 140 on a tank.

Something is not making sense when Joel can punish his super modded big bore bike and do similar milage to Pinheads bike which hasnt got many mods at all.

Sorry for talking so much about fuel milage, but its something that concerns me a lot considering how the small tank of the bike is already annoying me and I like to do longer trips on small roads.
I think the reason why your getting so high mileage compared to others is that your reading the distance count in km rather than Miles?
100km is approx 60miles?

On seconds thoughts my bike is on idle A LOT considering my 5 - 10 minute commute a day giving it 5 - 10 minutes to warm up, this happens each way every day.

Last edited by zl PINHEAD lz; 08-06-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member

No, I am aware that some are talking about miles and others about kilometers. Not mixing it up. But you getting only 100 km / 60 m on a almost stock bike is still very very low, but maybe its all the idling as you say...

Old 08-06-2013, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

No, I am aware that some are talking about miles and others about kilometers. Not mixing it up. But you getting only 100 km / 60 m on a almost stock bike is still very very low, but maybe its all the idling as you say...
Maybe, can't think of any other reason why it is so low compared to others.
It gets ridden smoothly, its not often I'm squeezing every last rev out of each gear.
well...unless its a ride out with a mate or two

Old 08-06-2013, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member

It makes sense if you truly idle it that much, is it good for the engine? :P

I almost never let it idle, maybe thats bad for the engine? Hmm

Old 08-06-2013, 03:12 PM
1st Gear Member

My understanding is that our 'modern' engines require very little warm up time. It's best to start the motor, let it run only briefly, then drive it to warm it up provided that the beginning of your ride is not jumping right onto the freeway at WOT type riding.

I put all my gear on, start the bike, then ride nice and easy down my street. Why waste the fuel and the wear and tear?

Old 08-06-2013, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member

It makes sense if you truly idle it that much, is it good for the engine? :P

I almost never let it idle, maybe thats bad for the engine? Hmm
Originally Posted by IDRIDR
My understanding is that our 'modern' engines require very little warm up time. It's best to start the motor, let it run only briefly, then drive it to warm it up provided that the beginning of your ride is not jumping right onto the freeway at WOT type riding.

I put all my gear on, start the bike, then ride nice and easy down my street. Why waste the fuel and the wear and tear?
From what i hear giving it time to warm up allows time for the oil to properly lubricate the engine etc, i personally allow mine to warm up to the point when the idle has dropped to a more steadier RPM around 2k. This way my bike pops less frequently in lower gears and throttle more responsive\smoother than what it would be if i hadn't of allowed that extra time to warm up.

Think this all comes down to personal preference.

Last edited by zl PINHEAD lz; 08-06-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

1. My bike is permanently in a warmed up state! It is & has never been colder than 23c (73f) day or night here in this part of Thailand. So no cold starts chewing up gas!

2. There are very few traffic jams here. So my mileage is true actual usage & not dead mileage from sitting in traffic!

3. When i first started playing with the Power Commander my mileage was lucky to get a 100km (60m) out of a tank.....95km wasn't unusual & my bike was noticeably rougher thru the gears & slower on the road!!
I have created over 30 MAPS on the PCv using the AutoTune unit to refine & fine tune my MAP, basically the faster & smoother my bike gets....the better the fuel consumption. It's all about finding the sweet spot for smooth strong performance vs perfect combustion.

For anyone interested i've set my AFR to 13.5 at idle & 13.3 from 5% - 20% throttle position, 13.2 at 20-30% TP, 13.0 at 30-50%, 12.9 at 50-80% & 12.8 AFR at 80-100% throttle position. AutoTune is a wonderful thing when you have no access to a Dyno machine.

Last edited by JoelThailand; 08-06-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

And here I thought Auto-Tune was to make Cher (and others) sound better.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: Cheshire, in between the Welsh hilly bits and the Peak district hilly bits - just about in the North

Originally Posted by zl PINHEAD lz
Think you might have to arrange a ride out mate, I'd definitely be up for that.
Minor problem with that -I moved a few months ago to Cheshire from Gisburn ~ not sure next time I will heading to North Lancs / Yorks on the KLX, but I will let you know next time I am heading north.
You could take a look at TRF (Welcome to the TRF) most areas seem to have regular runs and are keen to show new members routes and make sure you get home in one piece - I have joined Manchester group this year and been out around the Peak District, excellent use of your bike. You could also take a look at http://www.trailwise.org.uk this shows routes and their status {who can use them Cars / Bikes / Horses / Walkers etc}, non members get a limited 3km radius searching - membership of the TRF allows you to search much bigger areas

Quick Reply: Newbie KLX250 from the UK