Newbie KLX250 from the UK

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Ant
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zl PINHEAD lz
Hi Ant

I also fitted my o2 eliminator last week.
Since then the throttle response has been a lot better, bikes smoother especially in first gear feathering the clutch etc.

I have not yet removed the snorkel, but i intend to do this shortly.

The only performance mod i have added is the exhaust,
The front wheel feels lighter when really winding the throttle back mid rid range in second, but not nearly enough to lift it off the ground

In first i could get it off the ground with a pull on the handle bars, but nothing major.

The 351 bb kit might be what your looking for
Hello mate, yeah i think the q4 might be my next purchase. Maybe next spring though as i doubt i will be using the bike a lot more unfortunately until then.
Thanks for the reply

Old 08-05-2013, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Can I get some feedback on your fuel economy after removing the o2 censor?
Any other observations welcome too.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Ant
1st Gear Member

Not emplied my tank yet, i will let you know.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nikolaj Lykke
Mine has never changed
Stock exhaust with O2 sensor approx 60m until fuel light came on
Powercore 4 with O2 sensor left hanging freely again approx 60m until fuel light
Powercore 4 with O2 sensor eliminator again approx 60m until fuel light came on.

May just be that I am only doing a lot of small journeys etc but I always seem to be hitting around the same milage

Old 08-06-2013, 08:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow really? You only get 60 mles before the fuel light?

I have stock EFI bike except for Snorkel and Airfilter, I get 80 miles until fuel light comes on (5.5 liters or so).

Old 08-06-2013, 08:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow really? You only get 60 mles before the fuel light?

I have stock EFI bike except for Snorkel and Airfilter, I get 80 miles until fuel light comes on (5.5 liters or so).
Most of my journeys are literally stop start.
In the morning the bike idles for 5 mins to warm up ride it 2-3 miles to work and same from work to home.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Location: Cheshire, in between the Welsh hilly bits and the Peak district hilly bits - just about in the North
Default Clutch Mod for EFI bikes

Originally Posted by JoelThailand
As long as the bit of copper wire is shoved in hard enough not to fall out! I had some electrical tape over the loop of wire but it fell off almost a year ago & I just left it plugged in & open to the elements!! Don't think it really matters once it's neatly cable tired away. IMHO.

I should've posted this link before as it shows everything in much more detail....but it's just an inch of electrical cable...an off cut.

How to soup up KLX250 EFI the easy way - Bike Chat Forums This is the lady that discovered the clutch mod!
Did this mod 18 months ago ~ bit of wire (in the outside two terminals) neatish bit of taping up; then you can use the tang that held the switch originally by turning the socket upside down, nice and neat and a 30sec job to revert to standard {not sure why you would}. My only mods of note are a 13tooth front sprocket ~ better for the rough stuff; foldy mirrors; hand guards; removed foot-peg rubbers ~ less slippy in the mud: heated grips ~ as I am a soft southerner; knobby tyres for muddy places.

If you fancy a bit of gentle dirt running without too much fear of getting stuck or parked under your bike - head to Long Preston on the A65 from Gisburn, turn right outside the Rohan Shop / towards the pub, then take the first left ~ posted as a dead end ~ keep following that lane it goes from tarmac to hard-pack, keep going stop at the top to admire the views, then carry on, eventually you reach tarmac follow this lane and you appear topside of Settle. Approx 3 or 4 miles or so, nice gentle way into a touch of Green Laning. Then, get a little more adventurous and head to Slaidburn and head North West out of village past medical centre to a right turn to Wood Hse and Higher Wood Hse. At grid ref SD 6828 5668, you should find a gate this is posted no Motor Vehicles (specifically 4 wheels) ~ but Motorcycles are not excluded, look carefully at the picture on the red circle sign. follow this mostly hard pack through a couple of gates (use the small side gates, the main gate is usually locked), keep going for 12 miles over Salter Fell ~ Hornby Road. On a nice day its lovely / lonely / some great views into Cumbria. Eventually you reach a farm follow the tarmac past High Salter / Middle Salter / and surprisingly Lower Salter to the brilliantly named Butt Yeats, feel pleased with yourself.
One minor bit of caution about 2mile in there is a 200yrd section climb up which has been stoned up, if you are any good go for it, if you are me keep to edge and take it easy ~ only tricky bit on the run. Also, keep to the track "off piste" running is not ok as there is some important plants / plus the farmers get the hump if you scare the sheep - abuse this and we loose it.

Enjoy

Will

Old 08-06-2013, 11:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by willb
Did this mod 18 months ago ~ bit of wire (in the outside two terminals) neatish bit of taping up; then you can use the tang that held the switch originally by turning the socket upside down, nice and neat and a 30sec job to revert to standard {not sure why you would}. My only mods of note are a 13tooth front sprocket ~ better for the rough stuff; foldy mirrors; hand guards; removed foot-peg rubbers ~ less slippy in the mud: heated grips ~ as I am a soft southerner; knobby tyres for muddy places.

If you fancy a bit of gentle dirt running without too much fear of getting stuck or parked under your bike - head to Long Preston on the A65 from Gisburn, turn right outside the Rohan Shop / towards the pub, then take the first left ~ posted as a dead end ~ keep following that lane it goes from tarmac to hard-pack, keep going stop at the top to admire the views, then carry on, eventually you reach tarmac follow this lane and you appear topside of Settle. Approx 3 or 4 miles or so, nice gentle way into a touch of Green Laning. Then, get a little more adventurous and head to Slaidburn and head North West out of village past medical centre to a right turn to Wood Hse and Higher Wood Hse. At grid ref SD 6828 5668, you should find a gate this is posted no Motor Vehicles (specifically 4 wheels) ~ but Motorcycles are not excluded, look carefully at the picture on the red circle sign. follow this mostly hard pack through a couple of gates (use the small side gates, the main gate is usually locked), keep going for 12 miles over Salter Fell ~ Hornby Road. On a nice day its lovely / lonely / some great views into Cumbria. Eventually you reach a farm follow the tarmac past High Salter / Middle Salter / and surprisingly Lower Salter to the brilliantly named Butt Yeats, feel pleased with yourself.
One minor bit of caution about 2mile in there is a 200yrd section climb up which has been stoned up, if you are any good go for it, if you are me keep to edge and take it easy ~ only tricky bit on the run. Also, keep to the track "off piste" running is not ok as there is some important plants / plus the farmers get the hump if you scare the sheep - abuse this and we loose it.

Enjoy

Will
Think you might have to arrange a ride out mate, I'd definitely be up for that.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member

When my bike was new & untouched in any way! It got 170km (105m) until fuel light came on.

Put on a FMF, did the clutch mod & 02 eliminator & got about 140km (85m) from full to fuel light.

Now with FMF, clutch mod, 02 elim, 331 big bore, PCv, webcams, drilled airbox...basically the full Monty!! Worst case (pulling wheelies & racing to the redline all day etc) = 110km (68m) .......but a healthy mix of 50/50 normal riding/racing riding will be about 120km (75m).

I have never riden the bike sensibly for a whole tank, so don't know what she would do in terms of max km's with economy style riding!

Hi ANT
Your bike will still feel slow as it still has a very restrictive pea-shooter exhaust fitted!! I recon about 17hp stock.....about 20hp with what you have done so far & probably about 22-23hp when you fit a aftermarket exhaust!! The exhaust will tie everything (all mods) together......I know 22-23hp sounds weedy but I only get around 30-32hp with everything I have done.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by willb
If you fancy a bit of gentle dirt running without too much fear of getting stuck or parked under your bike - head to Long Preston on the A65 from Gisburn, turn right outside the Rohan Shop / towards the pub, then take the first left ~ posted as a dead end ~ keep following that lane it goes from tarmac to hard-pack, keep going stop at the top to admire the views, then carry on, eventually you reach tarmac follow this lane and you appear topside of Settle. Approx 3 or 4 miles or so, nice gentle way into a touch of Green Laning.

Enjoy

Will
Thanks for that one!
It looks like just a nornal road on OS maps, but an aeriel view shows it is, as you say, unmetalled. There is a track 2km east of that lane (heading ~south from Scaleber Force) but it's a dead end. Could be worth a reccy though.

Oh, and I get 105 miles full to fuel light, pre and post clutch switch mod. Must use the right wrist more :-).

Quick Reply: Newbie KLX250 from the UK