Newbie KLX250 from the UK

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Ant
1st Gear Member

Hello again guys.

Will the piece of solid aluminium wire work on the clutch switch bypass? Its 1.5mm.

Name:  null.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  35.8 KB

And you just force it in here..

Name:  null-4.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  37.9 KB

And cable tie it up?

Seems easy lol, i will give it a go tomorrow.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Ant
1st Gear Member

Yeah that worked, just took it for a spin and got a 15mph increase top end and the acceleration is a little better in 4th 5th and 6th, well worth doing for peanuts.
I have ordered the o2 eliminator but it hasnt arrived yet.

How did you hide/ protect your clutch switch? I cable tied it and put a bit of tape around it.

Name:  null-6.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  48.7 KB

Not very weather proof though is it? Any suggestions?

Last edited by Ant; 07-24-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ant
Yeah that worked, just took it for a spin and got a 15mph increase top end and the acceleration is a little better in 4th 5th and 6th, well worth doing for peanuts.
I have ordered the o2 eliminator but it hasnt arrived yet.

How did you hide/ protect your clutch switch? I cable tied it and put a bit of tape around it.

Not very weather proof though is it? Any suggestions?

Hey Ant

Where did you get the materiel from to do that?

I've not got anything like that within the household to try it out yet, could do with having a look at a hardware shop or something don't wanna be buying a big roll of it only to use a 1.5" of it lol

so whats the top end you got out of it now then after the mod?

i too have ordered a eliminator.... expected delivery time... a week lol

Also is it true with this modyou can have the kick stand down with the bike in first and the engine will still run?

Thanks

Last edited by zl PINHEAD lz; 07-24-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:38 AM
Ant
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zl PINHEAD lz
Hey Ant

Where did you get the materiel from to do that?

I've not got anything like that within the household to try it out yet, could do with having a look at a hardware shop or something don't wanna be buying a big roll of it only to use a 1.5" of it lol

so whats the top end you got out of it now then after the mod?

i too have ordered a eliminator.... expected delivery time... a week lol

Also is it true with this modyou can have the kick stand down with the bike in first and the engine will still run?

Thanks
Hello mate, i was in the same boat (did'nt wonna buy loads) so i took a punt at buying this stuff..

1.5mm Aluminium Wire, Various Colours Available! 5 Metres - Craft\Jewellery wire | eBay

It's only £1.89 including delivery and it does the trick.

I got up to 85 but it may do more as the conditions weren't the best and i did'nt have enough road to try it for more.
As for the kickstand, i have mine disabled anyway as i think the switch was faulty and it cut out from time to time. After i disabled it it hasn't cut out since.
But, i don't think it would disable the kickstand safety switch anyway.

It does however start in first gear without the clutch pulled which could be quite dangerous if you're not careful.
All in all decent cheap little mod, glad i could help.

I still don't know how to hide it or cover it up though, what happens if it's raining? Could anyone shed some light on what to do please.

Cheers, Ant.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:35 AM
1st Gear Member

As long as the bit of copper wire is shoved in hard enough not to fall out! I had some electrical tape over the loop of wire but it fell off almost a year ago & I just left it plugged in & open to the elements!! Don't think it really matters once it's neatly cable tired away. IMHO.

I should've posted this link before as it shows everything in much more detail....but it's just an inch of electrical cable...an off cut.

How to soup up KLX250 EFI the easy way - Bike Chat Forums This is the lady that discovered the clutch mod!

Old 07-28-2013, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ant

I still don't know how to hide it or cover it up though, what happens if it's raining? Could anyone shed some light on what to do please.

Cheers, Ant.
I used a few strands of bare copper wire (from a piece of 15/0.1 cable). Position them in the connector, the same way as for the 1.5mm wire, then fit the connector as normal. Once the two halves are plugged together it jams the thin copper wire in place and shorts the switch. Looks like standard!

There is almost zero current flow (I measured it) so even one tiny strand of wire is sufficient.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:37 PM
Ant
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DT175MX
I used a few strands of bare copper wire (from a piece of 15/0.1 cable). Position them in the connector, the same way as for the 1.5mm wire, then fit the connector as normal. Once the two halves are plugged together it jams the thin copper wire in place and shorts the switch. Looks like standard!

There is almost zero current flow (I measured it) so even one tiny strand of wire is sufficient.
Thanks for the reply i will try that.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Ant
1st Gear Member

It worked, thanks.

I have also put on my o2 eliminator and removed my snorkel. The snorkel removal hasn't really changed anything apart from making the exhaust louder! and i still can't get the front end to lift up grr!!

What else can i do? thanks guys.

----

Here is the o2 eliminator mod in pictures..

stock..
Name:  null-15.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  98.3 KB

the o2 eliminaor..
Name:  null-13.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  46.6 KB

o2 eliminator on..
Name:  null-12.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  76.4 KB

Old 08-05-2013, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ant
It worked, thanks.

I have also put on my o2 eliminator and removed my snorkel. The snorkel removal hasn't really changed anything apart from making the exhaust louder! and i still can't get the front end to lift up grr!!

What else can i do? thanks guys.
Hi Ant

I also fitted my o2 eliminator last week.
Since then the throttle response has been a lot better, bikes smoother especially in first gear feathering the clutch etc.

I have not yet removed the snorkel, but i intend to do this shortly.

The only performance mod i have added is the exhaust,
The front wheel feels lighter when really winding the throttle back mid rid range in second, but not nearly enough to lift it off the ground

In first i could get it off the ground with a pull on the handle bars, but nothing major.

The 351 bb kit might be what your looking for

Old 08-05-2013, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Do the Marcelino mod.

Quick Reply: Newbie KLX250 from the UK