Newbie KLX250 from the UK

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 02:09 AM
Ant
1st Gear Member

One more question, when you disable the clutch switch what sort of wire did you use and where do you get it from? I read somewhere that someone used a paperclip but this doesnt seem sturdy. Cheers

Old 07-20-2013, 04:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ant
One more question, when you disable the clutch switch what sort of wire did you use and where do you get it from? I read somewhere that someone used a paperclip but this doesnt seem sturdy. Cheers
A 1.5 or a 2.0mm solid piece of wire bent into shape like the middle of the picture below:

Name:  apivskawaecu_zpsfc4f07d9.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  163.5 KB

Wedge the bent wire into the clutch connector block so it's not going to slip out & neatly cable tie it away. This mod will not hurt your bike!! From being restricted to 7,500rpm......It will let your bike rev to 10,000rpm in 4th, 5th & 6th gear by un-retarding your ignition timing to what is was made to be at the factory, before the EURO3 emission ***** got their hands on your bike!

Old 07-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Ant
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JoelThailand
A 1.5 or a 2.0mm solid piece of wire bent into shape like the middle of the picture below:

Wedge the bent wire into the clutch connector block so it's not going to slip out & neatly cable tie it away. This mod will not hurt your bike!! From being restricted to 7,500rpm......It will let your bike rev to 10,000rpm in 4th, 5th & 6th gear by un-retarding your ignition timing to what is was made to be at the factory, before the EURO3 emission ***** got their hands on your bike!
Thank you

Old 07-20-2013, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ant
I do go to work (6miles) on it when the weather is nice but i have a car so tend to go in that. I plan on getting the exhaust when i have done all the other little bits suggested maybe even next year as i bet this nice weather won't last much longer haha. Once again, thanks for the reply.

Edit: i just saw your video on rivington pike, i have been there quite a few times and it is only about 20minute ride from me. That is a nice road and there is a few more decent roads around there. Have you ever been to the barn on a Sunday?
Haha the weather has been REALLY hot that last could of weeks eh.
This is england so no doubt it will end soon.

Yeah ive been plenty of times on a sunday its a great bikers meet and the roads are pretty good.

Glad i could help

Old 07-20-2013, 06:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default exhausts

Hello,

Nice to see some people from the UK on here.

I was just wondering, I have a GPR system fitted to my bike, do I need to do this O2 sensor eliminator mod?

Thanks

Old 07-21-2013, 02:38 AM
Ant
1st Gear Member

Hello again, more noob questions

Where can i get the kdx snorkel, and is it a particular one?
Also, is it easy to replace the stock one with this one?
Lastly, if i were to just remove the the stock one and leave it open, what are the disadvantages of this? Such as, can anything get in there?

Cheers, Ant.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by batcave
Hello,

Nice to see some people from the UK on here.

I was just wondering, I have a GPR system fitted to my bike, do I need to do this O2 sensor eliminator mod?

Thanks
Everyone on his forum that puts on better flowing exhausts or opened up the airbox a tad....HAS CHANGED THE JETS IN THEIR CARB!!

The EFi is no different to the Carb in that respect. If you play with higher air flow in the airbox or better flowing exhausts, you have to add more fuel into the AFR (air fuel ratio) or your bike will be running to lean. The 2 big give away symptoms with a lean running klx is it will be running hot (richer the mix the cooler the engine runs) & No.2 is exhaust popping noises on deceleration....they sound good but your running lean!! And does your bike easily pull wheelies off the throttle?? Does it accelerate quickly? Does it go 90mp/h.......if not, it's running to LEAN.

Find a quiet friendly MOT station & ask if they would stick their emission tester up your exhaust pipe! Try idle, 3000rpm, 6000rpm & 8000rpm & see your AFR ratio. You want to see very low 13.0 - 13.5's for rich clean running. I'll bet your running in the mid to high 14's without a 02 eliminator.

The KLX-s & sf (D-Tracker) with EFi are all made in Thailand. I think the UK, Australia, Indonesia, Spain, Greece, Brazil, Philippines, Thailand & Japan all get the Thai made EFi model.

The EFi model is easier for manufacturers to control to get through euro3 emission tests than a carb model. The 02 sensor is is trying it's hardest to make your bike run lean & therefor slow....for a emissions test pass!!

Luckily for us Kawasaki left us a few back door loop holes in the system to exploit/play with....The clutch by-pass mod & an 02 eliminator unit.

For the price of an inch of cable & a 20 quid 02 eliminator.....it's easier & cheaper than pulling the carb off & buying a dynojet kit.....enjoy

If your bike fails it's emission test for your MOT in the future.....Just pull off the clutch wire & plug your 02 sensor back in & then pass the test & plug it all in again when you get home.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ant
Hello again, more noob questions

Where can i get the kdx snorkel, and is it a particular one?
Also, is it easy to replace the stock one with this one?
Lastly, if i were to just remove the the stock one and leave it open, what are the disadvantages of this? Such as, can anything get in there?

Cheers, Ant.
When you have put an 02 eliminator on, just take off the snorkel.....give the bike more air & it needs more fuel in the AFR! If your still worried about a snorkel, then order a KDX200 snorkel (it has twice the flow) from a Kawasaki dealer or find one on Ebay.

They are only useful if your off-riding hardcore wet tracks like thru rivers, creeks or deep muddy puddles. Even when i'm road riding in super heavy Thai monsoon rain, I haven't had even a stutter without a snorkel fitted.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Everyone on his forum that puts on better flowing exhausts or opened up the airbox a tad....HAS CHANGED THE JETS IN THEIR CARB!!

The EFi is no different to the Carb in that respect. If you play with higher air flow in the airbox or better flowing exhausts, you have to add more fuel into the AFR (air fuel ratio) or your bike will be running to lean. The 2 big give away symptoms with a lean running klx is it will be running hot (richer the mix the cooler the engine runs) & No.2 is exhaust popping noises on deceleration....they sound good but your running lean!! And does your bike easily pull wheelies off the throttle?? Does it accelerate quickly? Does it go 90mp/h.......if not, it's running to LEAN.

Find a quiet friendly MOT station & ask if they would stick their emission tester up your exhaust pipe! Try idle, 3000rpm, 6000rpm & 8000rpm & see your AFR ratio. You want to see very low 13.0 - 13.5's for rich clean running. I'll bet your running in the mid to high 14's without a 02 eliminator.

The KLX-s & sf (D-Tracker) with EFi are all made in Thailand. I think the UK, Australia, Indonesia, Spain, Greece, Brazil, Philippines, Thailand & Japan all get the Thai made EFi model.

The EFi model is easier for manufacturers to control to get through euro3 emission tests than a carb model. The 02 sensor is is trying it's hardest to make your bike run lean & therefor slow....for a emissions test pass!!

Luckily for us Kawasaki left us a few back door loop holes in the system to exploit/play with....The clutch by-pass mod & an 02 eliminator unit.

For the price of an inch of cable & a 20 quid 02 eliminator.....it's easier & cheaper than pulling the carb off & buying a dynojet kit.....enjoy

If your bike fails it's emission test for your MOT in the future.....Just pull off the clutch wire & plug your 02 sensor back in & then pass the test & plug it all in again when you get home.
Thanks for this info JT, you have helped another rider out

Old 07-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Ant
1st Gear Member

When you have put an 02 eliminator on, just take off the snorkel.....give the bike more air & it needs more fuel in the AFR! If your still worried about a snorkel, then order a KDX200 snorkel (it has twice the flow) from a Kawasaki dealer or find one on Ebay.

They are only useful if your off-riding hardcore wet tracks like thru rivers, creeks or deep muddy puddles. Even when i'm road riding in super heavy Thai monsoon rain, I haven't had even a stutter without a snorkel fitted.
Thanks for explaining your last two posts so well. I understand it perfectly now. Cheers Joel

Quick Reply: Newbie KLX250 from the UK