Newbie - Jetting Issue...need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Newbie - Jetting Issue...need some advice

Newbie with 09 klx250s....2000 miles and decided to do the following carb mods and now the bike is a little hard to start, doesn't want to hold an idle and you have to keep moving the throttle back and forth to get it to keep running....around 3 to 4,000 rpms if you hold the throttle still it pretty much stays there.... I was able to shift into second, popped the clutch and the front end came up for the first time.....so I know I did something right....just need some advice on dialing in the jetting...i think.

128 main jet
40 pilot jet
n1tc needle in middle slot (3rd from top or 3rd from bottom??)
Drilled slide to 7/64ths
enricher screw (air/fuel mix) turned 3 turns out
snorkle removed
drilled 1/2" hole through stock air pipe outlet

looking forward to some good starting points....

Old 05-18-2012, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member

128 Seems a bit rich for the stock exhaust even with the 1/2" hole you drilled. Same with the pilot. what is your elevation?

Turn the fuel screw back in a turn or so and see how the idle is.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

at sea level here.

i'll take a look in the morning...I just returned from salt lake city and I'm tired.

Isn't turning the fuel screw in going to make the bike richer???

Old 05-18-2012, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Turning the fuel screw out (counter Clockwise) will richen it. Turn it in to full seat then back out 2 full turns. Also make sure you have all the vacuum lines hooked back up.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Nothing but problems today.....so many that I forgot what I was doing. Anyways, one of the problems was a vent tube had been melted closed, that probably caused some problems but didn't see it until i changed other things.....I give up. I put everything back to stock and eventually got the bike running as had and then it started to run like crap.....just took off carb and my fuel mixture screw was not there....great. Going to order up a Kouba type screw now and see if I can get this thing going correctly.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Stock Fuel Screw Setting on 09 KLX250s

Anybody know what the stock fuel/air mixture setting is for a 2009 klx250s ....???

Old 05-19-2012, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by e36graduate
Anybody know what the stock fuel/air mixture setting is for a 2009 klx250s ....???
According to the manual 1 5/8 turns out.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:30 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

If you ordered a Kouba screw because the OEM unit fell out, you're probably going to need the small o-ring and spring too. I've ordered 2 Kouba screws over time for 2 different bikes, and neither came with anything but the screw. The OEM spring and o-ring may have fallen out with the stock air/fuel screw. Might want to double check.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the advice.....Hey TNC how was Moab? I was out in SLC this week on work and I met a 2 guys that go down there with their dirt bikes....envious here in Massachusetts where I ended up selling all my 2 strokers because you have to register your bikes to ride in 2 areas in the whole state......and the environmental police can come onto your own private property if they see you riding a dirt bike...come on.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by e36graduate
Thanks for the advice.....Hey TNC how was Moab? I was out in SLC this week on work and I met a 2 guys that go down there with their dirt bikes....envious here in Massachusetts where I ended up selling all my 2 strokers because you have to register your bikes to ride in 2 areas in the whole state......and the environmental police can come onto your own private property if they see you riding a dirt bike...come on.
How can you live there? It sounds like Germany 1939!

Quick Reply: Newbie - Jetting Issue...need some advice